Thinking about jumping ship

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Victor, Dec 27, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    Have itchy feet and am in the mood for changing the Speedy for either a BMW R1200gs or KTM 1090adv.
    As Much as I love the Speed Triple and I had to have one at sometime in my biking history, I really miss the feeling of a large adv style bike and the way they handle. I also miss the luggage, which makes riding any distance in any weather a lot more manageable.
    I have tried the Triumph 1200 Explorer, but it didn't really do anything for me. There are two bikes I really regret selling, one was a BMW R1100s and the other was my previous bike, R1200gs.
    With it being my 50th in a few weeks time, it would be rude not to take advantage of the wife's blessing ;)
    Will keep you posted.

Mark

2. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    Called into Chester Motoradd a couple of weeks ago Ade and enquired about a fully loaded New Alipine GS. The sales man promised to call me back the same day with an offer on my Speedy. No such joy, I phoned and left two messages for him to call me over a period of 4 days when he was in, still no joy. They have now lost my custom!

I have my eye on a pre euro 4 Triple Black standard GS in Williams of Manchester. It is fully loaded with only 480 miles on the clock, so that is looking favourite so far. Had my last GS from them and they gave great service.

In respect of the Adventure, I don't really need the extra fuel range and prefer the nimbler handling character of the standard version.

Old faithful 30year anniversary during a Scottish camping trip. Should have kept her :-(

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I've always liked the look of the GS:oops: even before Ewan & Charlie got their hands on them:rolleyes:,I've never ridden one though but I'm sure you wouldn't get a much better bike for touring, i think you will regret selling the speed triple though:(

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've had a n 1100GS then an 1150GS and both were excellent fully loaded up long distance bikes (except for the std seat!) but I think you'd be quite surprised how good they are on the Sunday morning blast down some back roads !!!

Re the KTM versus BMW debate I also had a KTM 1190 Adventure and my opinion is that the BM eats it alive. Yes the Kitten was more powerful (150bhp from memory) but the BM GS was a better bike.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    And of course Triumph parts are sourced from around the world and many are assembled in Taiwan.

6. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    Opo in work changed his 2010 GS for an Africa Twin a few months back (non clutch version). I'm sure he regrets it, but is to proud admit it. It is currently in having the wheels changed due to the spokes rusting.

7. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    It sounds like you know what you want to but are trying to talk yourself into it.
    The Speed is a fantastic bike,I had 2,but it wont do the same things as a GS.
    It took me a long time to get to the GS and only tested one to shut everybody else up and as they say the rest is history.
    I haven't done a lot of mileage on it yet as I've only had it a couple of months but I'm pleased with it so far.............apart from the Massey Ferguson gearbox.

• Like Like x 1
  8. toad

toad Active Member

Before you make the dreaded move I beg you sit yourself on a Triumph Tiger 1050 and give it a whirl.

9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi I'm a former Speed Triple owner and wanted to move to a more comfortable adv type machine. Test rode the new R1200GS and it was very good but ridiculously expensive.
    After many test rides I opted for the Kawasaki Versys 1000GT, 13,000 miles in its been perfectly reliable, fun and a great touring machine.

10. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I'd have had a Tiger Sport but I'd had 2 bikes with the 1050 engine and wanted to try something different.
    It's a cracking bike :)

11. toad

toad Active Member

I'll give it another go ;)

Half the touring baggage on a BMW is the oil it guzzles - fact!

Also bear in mind that you need to be in the same physical condition as Jason Statham in order to pick it up.

It is the status symbol that every fat fifty year old who rides upright round corners in the Alps simply has to have.

Having said all that they are decent bikes if you can afford to a) buy b) run and c) maintain them :D

12. toad

toad Active Member

Ahhhh ...

... okay then :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    I had a 1050 Tiger back in 2007, which I covered 12000 miles on in two years. However I did not find it very comfortable. I had a sit on a new Tiger Sport in the local dealers a few weeks ago and it felt the same ergonomically. Really like the looks though and it is really good value for the money.

14. toad

toad Active Member

Fair play, if you don't like it is no good. 6K is also about my average mileage p.a., almost all tours, and I find it supremely comfy, even better than my sofa at home ;)

15. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I'll own up to 2 of those,don't do upright corners.

I refused to even try one for a couple of years,wouldn't even go for a look. Came to the decision that an adventure bike was probably my best option. I tried the Explorer but just didn't get on with it.

Some people might have one as a status symbol but for me the combination of comfort,luggage capacity and long distance ability make it the right bike for me.
    It doesn't suit everyone and some people just don't like them or BMW and that's fair enough,each to their own.

I'm in littlade's club :p :cool:

16. toad

toad Active Member

I know, I know. I've got plenty of mates who swear by them. But you know what it's like. Got to hand out some ;)

17. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Don't worry I can take it :D;)

I know what this forum is like

18. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    Just been looking at the UKGSER site. Boy are they a funny lot on there. You darn't have a hair out of place. They are ruthless!

19. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    It can get vicious in there.
    As Ade said,just use it for info really.

20. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    And here she is. Now just have some Speed Triple bits to get rid of. IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0663.JPG

• Like Like x 2