Rocket Thinking About It

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by dilligaf, May 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. InvictaMoto

InvictaMoto New Member

May 30, 2017
    Kent, England
    #61 InvictaMoto, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    SAM_3585.JPG

When you buy one mpg and tyre life become massive discussion points giving miles of forum inches and hours of debate, even though everyone says that neither matter when you buy one!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. InvictaMoto

InvictaMoto New Member

May 30, 2017
    Kent, England
    #62 InvictaMoto, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Single figures? I tend to "make progress" but still get a low of 36mpg (UK galls).

On a trundle through the Czech countryside I managed the highest ever on the RIII of 49.4......

3. InvictaMoto

InvictaMoto New Member

May 30, 2017
    Kent, England
    Had a look at the LT as it came equipped but couldn't afford a new one and not many used about. Saw RIII with 400 miles on the clock and bought it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sijtwin

Sijtwin New Member

May 27, 2018
    Salisbury
    Hi Broadside

I’m in the process of getting an R3. - really like the bars and screen on yours - just what I’m looking for.

5. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    I am a newbie here from New Brunswick, Canada. I am also looking to buy a R3 and in fact going to the dealership tomorrow to have a look at it. I am only 5,9 and I have sat on it and pushed a little bit too and its a very heavy bike. I normally would use to cruise around outside the city and on the open roads of Canada. I like the sound of it too so want to ask the advice of the experts here should I look at the R3 or the Thunderbird? I am only looking for a cruiser and not for touring.
    thanks

6. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    Update. I have ridden the R3 Roadster and did not like where the gear shifts and the foot brakes are and felt very uncomfortable.
    Is it at the same level on the LT too? Or it can be lowered? I asked the local dealership and they do not seem to know.
    any help would be appreciated.

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

See if you can get a road test :)
    That way you’ll know if it’s what you want :)

8. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    Thats what I did. It was on the road test I found that the pedals were too high for me and in an awkward position. But this was the Roadster so trying to find out if the touring is the same. The dealership does not have anything else apart from this Roadster.

9. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Get a Rocket Trike, then the weight isn't a problem, you will be amazed at the speed these things pull away from a standing start.

2639-1530421832-ea00741a62dec988abe6aa53ae3df6cc.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Can’t help you mate :confused:
    But @stollydriver knows his Rockets and might be able to help :)
    He’ll see I’ve mentioned him and hopefully be able to answer your question :)

11. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    The classic and special have the same riding position as the Touring. Forward pedals suit some - if you haven't ridden forward controls - you soon get the hang of it. I had a Touring - great bike. Post pics of what you are looking at.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    #72 Davvid, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Stolly, I rode the Roadster. Currently I have a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic and with the foot boards. The Roadster had a different position and level than the Thunderbird. The Thunderbird, I had no problems or issues with the positioning of the pedals and the gear shift.
    The problem is that no one around me has any touring or classic to even sell so that I can do a test ride. There is nothing closer than 7 hours from where I live in Canada.

13. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    You can get a forward set for the Roadster if the bike itself is good. Since Triumph have announced No more Rockets - they are getting harder to find.

14. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    Yes if that is so then its good news. I really do not know why they stopped the Rockets. I have to go a bit further to find one that is fairly new and I do not want to pay unless I get a ride and see for myself.

15. Broadside

Broadside Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Cambridgeshire
    Hiya sijtwin I got the bars from a member on the r3 forum he gets them made only takes 30 mins to swap over really comfortable you get a bracket to lower the clocks as well .

16. Broadside

Broadside Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Cambridgeshire
    20180711_123734.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek:WHOAARRGH:eek:
    Just had a day out with my mate Mark from work :)
    As promised (bloody ages ago) he let me loose on his Rocket lll classic :grinning:
    Met him at Triumph Newcastle and rather than setting off from there we rode to the first lay-by on the A69 where we swapped bikes as I was a bit weary of the Rockets size and weight and thought it would be better to get a feel for the bike on a duel carriageway first :)
    :eek:JEEZUS :eek: what a bloody lovely machine :heart_eyes:
    NUDGER has the 1200 high torque engine :joy::joy::joy:
    Had a road test a while back on a 1700 Thunderbird Storm :)....torque?:joy::joy::joy:...don’t make me LAUGH :joy:
    Dunno if torque is the right word to describe the delivery of the Rocket :confused: it has soooo much of it that really they should invent another word for it :imp:
    I swear that engine could raise the Titanic :imp:
    FECKIN UNBELIEVABLE :eek:
    When we got to the Hexham roundabout I took a left onto the A68 headed for Darlington which has in the past been described as the TT circuit of the North East :imp:
    Not like it used to be though :( too many bloody speed restrictions and bloody double white lines these days but nevertheless a good test of my ability to handle this MONSTER :poop:
    Well I really don’t know how to describe it :eek:
    It’s absolutely Feckin mental :imp:
    Handles WAY better than you’d think :grinning:
    Really quick and chuckable in the twisty’s BUT!! you definitely have to take the weight into consideration as I don’t think I would like to get it wrong and try to save it mid corner :skull:
    I could definitely get used to one of these though and I’m still BUZZING from the experience :grinning:
    Do I want one?....HELL YEAH :imp:
    Will I get one?....hmmm :rolleyes:
    Dunno really I’ve still got a lot of love for NUDGER :heart_eyes: and me and him have now got the whole season ahead of us for fun and frolics :imp:
    Watch this space :p......(maybe):rolleyes: EA97325B-AC52-45C7-9E3D-D3121EF2CBC9.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  18. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Looking good there Graham, is that yer new jacket too?

• Like Like x 1
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yeah :) very comfortable :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Looking good there Dilli. It suits you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1