Rocket Thinking About It

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by dilligaf, May 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Got a speedmaster at the moment mate and loving it :)
    But have always been drawn to a rocket because of what it is :rolleyes: also have a soft spot for the thunderbird especially the storm....who knows....one day eh ?:p

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Dilligaf,
    Do what I did, Bigbore kit port and polished, tuned. Now about 75 horeses. Thats only 10/15 less than T Bird, but bike ways way less than R3 or T Bird !! Much more fun for your £££'ss

Cheers capt.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Broadside

Broadside Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Cambridgeshire
    Just found this thread and thought I would post I have a 2013 roadster for 4 months now and honestly wouldn't have any other bike you grin from ear to ear with sheer presence on the road :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I would still like one :) but can’t afford it at the moment :(
    You got a picture to share :confused:

5. Broadside

Broadside Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Cambridgeshire
    20180225_121454.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Broadside

Broadside Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Cambridgeshire
    Hiya dilligaf I struggled to buy one but it's a keeper I love it

• Like Like x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:cool: Lovely looking bike mate :cool:
    :mad: Bugger....now I’m looking/dreaming about something I can’t afford....again :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Graham.db

Graham.db Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Wiltshire
    As above, like the looks of the r3, sat on never rode, ended up on the tb LT, she sort of meets middle ground, not a r3 but a good cruiser, but saying that sometimes wishing for the bike of your dreams, not all ways lives to it. My tb, is just so, great all round, but just do not ride, and do not know why, above, sold r3, bought bonnie, now does not ride, r3, make sure she really what you want, and not a wish, a lot of bike to sit around

• Like Like x 1
  9. itchyfeet

itchyfeet New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Stonehenge Wiltshire
    What did you do in the end then? I've only just read this thread and I know its old now. I've been a Rocket3 owner since 2011, on my second now. Absolutely love them.

10. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I was talking to a welsh bloke who had one at the bike fest. He said they are a fantastic bike once you get used to riding them, but if you gun them your talking single figures on the fuel consumption

11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Still haven’t had a go on one but still think/like the idea :)
    Lack of funds as usual is the stumbling block :confused:

12. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Drink eases the pain :oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Next year! surely not that long! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    JD share price just fell through the floor DD!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. itchyfeet

itchyfeet New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Stonehenge Wiltshire
    i'm not sure what state of tune he was running, you can easily get these to 185bhp with no probs. Mine is just standard so riding hard see's the fuel guage showing empty at about 135 miles. Its not though, there will be 3 or 4 litres left. I rode down to Lake Garda last week with my Diavel riding mate, we were not hanging around and I easily got 190-200 on the trip before refilling.

• Like Like x 2
  16. itchyfeet

itchyfeet New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Stonehenge Wiltshire
    If you are thinking of getting a Rocket though there are a few considerations.
    Back tyre on OEM (Metzler) will last up to 6000. I believe there is still only one other fitment and thats Avons. Owners say they are grippier but obviously wear out quicker. That 6000 that can be achieved can be halved quite easily. The problem with the tyres are getting new ones fitted. It is easier if you can remove the rear wheel yourself as most bike tyre fitters do not have the ability to raise the Rocket rear end. You have to buy yourself a suitable lift or its a Triumph dealer tyre change for you. I bought a a kind of detachable centre stand that works o.k.
    The bike can be fitted with panniers for touring, a sissy bar for pillions or stripped back and rear seat pad removed for a more agressive look. On a long ride, a steady 80-90mph will see 200 miles before a fill up, around town its pretty poor. Brake pad and oil change is a doddle but valve clearance check is a lot more involved than many other bikes.
    Two up touring is effortless and the night time vision from the lights is amongst the best i've had. There is no denying its a heavy bike so you may want to consider where and how you park it but i dont find it as bad as some of the press reports I've read. With all of the pro's and con's ( I ride mine all year round including commuting) I still class it as one of the best bikes I've owned, the sheer riding experience overcomes lots of niggles.
    Most of us buy a bike for the type of riding we do, Sunday blasts, commuting, track days etc, the Rocket will do all of that but not as efficiently as dedicated bikes, its just a joy to ride and own. Once you've ridden one though, beware as manny other bikes will then feel gutless.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Next month more like!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk