Featured Rocket The Rocket Picture Thread

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by SleepyOwl, Mar 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Dougie D;
    That’s pretty comprehensive. I thank you.
    I’ve been wondering and googling about R3s recently and heard about one owner in the USA that had a cover for the headers fall off.
    Was looking like the cost of replacement might be circa $700!
    I remember DILLIGAF having a small problem with an oil leak due to a copper compression washer?
    Not found anything major to worry about.
    Thanks much Dougie D.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    I believe the oil leak was only on a few very early models. Never had a problem on mine Had mine since Feb 2019 and done about 3000 miles on it. Great bike but not impressed with the bodywork on it. Removed the GT seat and replaced with single seat. Pressure marks on the rear cowl where the passenger part of the seat had been. My wife has only been on it once and is tiny so nothing to do with her. Think the seat is tight and putting pressure on the part. Some in USA have had this replaced under warranty.
    Also complained about the "stainless steel" look parts of the bike which end up with black marks after about two months of ownership. Informed Triumph but that was on the day that first lockdown started. These autosol off but not sure how much more rubbing it will take. Had it ceramic coated and the guy who is such a perfectionist gave it a good clean and said there were certain points where he didn't want to keep rubbing out the marks. Also wear from my jeans on the plastic part on the left hand side (I have forward controls).
    Dealer said he had sent all to Triumph but haven't heard anything since. (had another lock down). I shall be presenting them with my original and new pictures before the two year warranty runs out.
    Bike is absolutely awesome to ride and a real head turner. Wife will not go on it due to peg position and lack of suspension travel (we have a GS also) Be prepared for a full conversation every time you pull up with many random people admiring the bike. No regrets on buying one and expected a few things on an early model. Its 95% perfect so the other 5% of problems is well worth it.
    Keep thinking of selling it (maybe for K1600 bagger) but then I ride it again and fall back in love.
    Picture attached to show example of bodywork complaint and the single seat conversion.

IMG_2586.jpg

IMG_5171-2-2-2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. SleepyOwl

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    IMG_5174 (2) (1).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I'll have to keep an eye on the "stainless steel" parts on my bike, there's no sign of spotting at the moment and I've had the bike for 6 months now,I was surprised to hear yours started to discolour after a couple of months, my mileage is similar to yours. I like the look of the single seat but although my Mrs doesn't go on the back of the Rocket, I find the seat and the back rest handy for carrying luggage,I have been putting my tank bag on the passenger seat it's handy for bits and bobs,I also have a Givi bag that I will strap onto the backrest when I do the Ireland tour. What do you think of the ceramic coating? It's something I've thought about

5. SleepyOwl

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    I think the ceramic was worth it. Especially just for peace of mind to stop further deterioration and also to demonstrate to Triumph that I have actually cared for the bike. Here a re a few more of the metal. Its better now but these are the areas which went very quickly.

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. SleepyOwl

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Great ride out around mid Devon and Cornwall yesterday

20210915_093933916_iOS-1.jpg

20210915_111228944_iOS-11-1.jpg

20210915_111448720_iOS-1.jpg