The Reliability Of The Speed Twin 1200

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Old Biker, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Old Biker

Old Biker Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2024
    Worcester
    I have two Triumph bikes in the garage - my wife's Trident 660, now a year old with 5000 km done from new and one recall completed. So far no issues! I have a new gen. Speed Twin 1200 (USD front shocks) with 6 months left of the warrantee. It has done just shy of 5000 km now and had its 1st annual service end of last year.

I am not aware of any recalls for this bike... My question is how reliable are these Speed Twins overall as I read of a number of gearbox issues/failures... I look very well after my bikes and do not abuse them in any way.

Any confirmed gearbox issues or other stuff to look out for that members here know about that I can address before my warrantee runs out?

Regards!

2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    AFAIK the gearbox issue affected an early production run that was subsequently addressed with a modified selector fork. If you haven't already you might want to invest in Dealertool which will enable you to read and clear any ECU faults as well as reset the service indicator, assuming your bike is one of those supported as 2024 and some earlier bikes are not. The 1200 twin is quite a low tech low stressed unit with no real achilles heal other than the aforementioned gearbox problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Old Biker

Jan 29, 2024
    Worcester
    Thank you for this info! I bought a "demo" 21/22 model - a left over that was available (at the right price). I have an OBDlinkLX dongle as well as the TuneECU software. I tried it on both Triumphs with 100% success. Regards!

4. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    The 1200 Speed twin has an adjustable linkage located between the gear lever and the selector shaft.
    This linkage isolates the shaft from the direct impact damage associated with other models like the T120 where the gear lever is bolted directly to the shaft itself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Old Biker

Jan 29, 2024
    Worcester
    Very interesting - Thank you!!

6. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    This TSB has recently been released and applies to Triumph Classic with specific VIN

Alfie

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Old Biker

Jan 29, 2024
    Worcester
    Much appreciated! Luckily they only mention the Speed Twin 900 and not the 1200. Regards!

8. Jimbo1950

Jimbo1950 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    Hi, I can't speak for the latest gen of the Speed Twin 1200 but I do have an earlier, 2019 bike which has done nearly 16k miles. Other than regular (professional but not Triumph dealer) servicing and recently fitting a new battery it's been faultless. As another contributor noted, the engine is relatively unstressed and you don't need to take it to the red line, in fact I find it's best to surf the torque curve from about 3000 to 5000, that gives great results. Mine has been decat red and I've fitted TEC silencers and a K&N air filter so it breathes more readily in and out. Unfortunately I don't think you can easily decat the latest gen, Triumph seem to want to spoil our fun! Enjoy your bike, it's a great all-rounder.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jimbo1950

Jimbo1950 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    Decat red? I meant decatted!

• Like Like x 1
  10. edtxw01

edtxw01 New Member

Feb 17, 2024
    UK
    I purchased a ex-demo 2022 Speed Twin 1200 in Aug 23 (8 mths ago) it had 700 miles on the clock when I collected. The 1st service had been completed. I've put 5,000 miles on it, so far it has performed perfectly, no issues. The only thing I've done it fitted Michelin Road 6 tyres a fender extender and radiator guard. I'm happy that there are no reports of problems.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Old Biker

Jan 29, 2024
    Worcester
    Thank you! You are right - Triumph is making it difficult to get rid of all the "Brussels" restrictions. I fitted open shorty silencers (no baffles) but still have the CAT under the engine. A few members fitted the X-pipe but report not much gain apart from making the bike "too" loud. I have removed the snorkel from my air intake and modified the SPORT map as it restricted the throttle valves to something like 74% open... It is definitely better now (now opens 100%)! I do not ride the bike hard. Mostly I ride between 3000 and 4000 rpm as I then enjoy the Speed Twin most. The KTM Super Duke R is left for really wringing a neck which it does exceptionally well!! I'm glad to hear it is reliable... it is moderate in power, handling and braking as expected as it is a modern classic and not a sports bike. Regards!

12. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The STwin comes out at around 83bhp/litre which is pretty tame when you consider the latest sportsbikes are well over 200bhp/litre although there are multi cylinder (mostly 4) engines. The 1200 in the Scrambler comes out even lower at 75bhp/litre. The latest Scrambler now has the CAT in the rear exhaust section near the mufflers and all the latest bikes have moved/are moving to a new 6pin diagnostic OBD connector with anti tamper software in the ECU. Boo!:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Old Biker

Jan 29, 2024
    Worcester
    We are fast moving to a despotic dispensation... A few "selected" are ruling over billions as if they are slaves! The next drive to "electric" will take total control and if you were a bad "slave" you will not be able to travel. What utter foolishness! I am a good example of a petrol head helping to reduce the ugly fossil fuel monster by riding as much as possible!!:p:p:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #14 Eldon, May 6, 2024
    Last edited: May 6, 2024
    I've said the same @Old Biker to my mates about paying for fuel etc with their phone.

Cash is still king if for only one reason, and to lose it, only hands power to whoever wants to see and control your every transaction!

• Like Like x 1