The Random Rideout Pictures

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Jan 24, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    It certainly doesn't float mine, Adie. I was seeking Bikerman's assurance that that wasn't what he had in mind! Though they say you shouldn't knock things until you've tried them...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Ewww… Yuck…

And I was only thinking of myself in the scud. That’s enough of an image to make me violently ill…

With you lot i am sure the calendar would best even the Bristol Scale of Stool hardness photos for repulsiveness.

I don’t wish to be rude.

Just being factual.

In a nice way.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    It was a bit nippy tooo_O DSS900

Crazy weather here. Mid-November and was haven't had a hard freeze or bad frost yet. Some of the ornamentals have died off, but some seem to be carrying on like it's summer.

Begonias seem happy
    Begs.PNG

Little rose bush is still blooming
    Rose.PNG

Fig tree still figging along
    Fig.PNG

The banana plantation is a bit wilted, but not ready to give up yet
    banana.jpg

Anyway, it's supposed to hit 70 degrees tomorrow. Packing all else in and riding.

• Like Like x 5
  4. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Nice one @Fork Lock, bananas ain’t too common in the wild here, unless you count the tourists :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    Yes, bananas in New Jersey. A few years ago I was up in North Jersey on the job to interview an Indian fellow. He had these ten foot banana plants in his yard. He said they were a hardy strain of Japanese banana called Musa Basjoo that grow in the mountains. In the fall, after the frost, you cut them down to ground level and cover them with about 8" of mulch. They come back up in spring, like a bulb. Only thing is, the fruit is inedible. Too seedy. I just like the look of a backyard jungle. No lions or tigers, yet. Just bears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    About twenty miles from my place, toward the end of a crumbling, macadam road, near where it turns to sugar sand, stands a lonely, stone monument in a desolate area of the Jersey Pine Barrens. The middle of Nowhere. It looks out of place. It’s as though somehow an ancient Inca or Aztec monument was teleported here. It’s out of place or out of time, or both. It has strange carvings on it in the style of those long-gone civilizations; A fanciful dying bird, an arrow pointed toward the heavens. It is surrounded by yucca plants and prickly pear cactus. It is a monument, funded by Mexican school children, to honor Captain Emilio Carranza.

Emilio Carranza was known as the Mexican Lindbergh. At a time when Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart were dazzling the world in the infancy of the airplane, so was Emilio Carranza. He had several record-setting flights under his belt. He was a friend of Lindbergh’s.

In 1928 Captain Carranza was on a “Goodwill Flight.” He had flown from Mexico City to New York and was on the return trip when he crashed and died in Southern New Jersey. He was eating dinner in a New York restaurant when he was given a telegram. He immediately excused himself and drove to Roosevelt Field where he told the ground crew to ready his plane, the Mexican Excelsior. There was a violent storm and he was advised not to attempt to fly, but he did. Although the exact cause of the crash was never discovered, it is suspected the plane was struck by lightning.

When his body was recovered the story is that the telegram was in his pocket. There was war in Mexico at the time, rebels in the north. It was supposedly sent by the head of the Mexican military, ordering him to leave immediately and return to Mexico.

There is a commemorative ceremony every year in July.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    Bird.PNG Arrow.PNG 3.jpg

Batona Creek near the memorial
    Batona.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Had a run into Wales today. Weather wasn’t brilliant. Done just over 200 miles on the day.
    2938696F-B303-4B7F-B1CC-25C521F1C705.jpeg 4540DBA8-458F-460E-8D2E-9867CFA30CD2.jpeg 4AB20073-85C7-496C-A980-8FDD5A7894F6.jpeg
    Had to call in for a coffee and breakfast bap.
    09E1059F-431F-4BC5-92E3-FB399C1FEC76.jpeg

Then headed for home…. and a well earned pint in my local.
    E630ADB0-5C7B-4994-84AB-B21F2E2852C8.jpeg

A cracking days riding this late in November.

• Like Like x 13
  10. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Nice bit of history @Fork Lock , cheers fella! :)

@Wessa good to get out dude, I’d much rather have 200 miles under my seat today than the usual daily bs! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wow, that is really interesting, @Fork Lock. Thanks for sharing the photos and the story of Emilio Carranza.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Sounds like a lovely day out on the bike, @Wessa, even if the weather wasn't sparkling. :) Those hills are so green they make my desert rat eyes water! :joy: Glad you got in a good solid ride before the weather turns worse in your part of the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Ge-Minigun

Ge-Minigun Active Member

Sep 20, 2021
    Virginia (USA)
    Thruxton 2.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Had to Google that company. Looks like that have been around for a long time. Love your Thruxton . Do you have a connection to the company?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ge-Minigun

Ge-Minigun Active Member

Sep 20, 2021
    Virginia (USA)
    Yep, they’ve been around for a while…other than living 15 minutes away and some great riding in that area, nope. Behind me is a farm market/fruit stand run by the same company…they make some amazing deserts; the kitchen isn’t half bad either.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    We do like a good desert. Next time you are sampling some you will have to take some pictures to share with the forum members :);)

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    We do like a good desert. Next time you are sampling some you will have to take some pictures to share with the forum members :);)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    They have inappropriately culturally appropriated a Native American name and displayed a stereotypically offensive depiction of a Native American.
    I'm sure the will be removing the signage and changing their name to something less offensive shortly, unless, of course, they are of Native American Heritage, in which case, all is forgiven. Perhaps they are related to Elizabeth Warren.
    Good thing you parked a Triumph in front of the establishment and not an Indian Scout.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Never gave that a thought, but you are likely correct, unless they are native “Shawnee”

• Agree Agree x 1