The Official Man Cave Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hamburg, Mar 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BS1948

BS1948 Elite Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Ferring
    Didn't know where to put this and I didn't want to start another thread, so I thought a man cave would do!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BS1948
    This fits in any thread or forum. With great pride I say my hero's I won't forget.
    God Bless.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    #163 Cyborgbot, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Love that! Will share more widely.

Edit: That old boy looks like a chap in our village who was in the SOE. Frail of body now but you can still see that inner strength.

• Like Like x 6
  4. BS1948

BS1948 Elite Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Ferring
    As a note on the above, my son, who's 24 (it ain't just the oldies who care) showed me this...

On November 7th, 1920, in strictest secrecy, four unidentified British bodies were exhumed from temporary battlefield cemeteries at Ypres, Arras, the Asine and the Somme.

None of the soldiers who did the digging were told why.

The bodies were taken by field ambulance to GHQ at St-Pol-Sur-Ter Noise. Once there, the bodies were draped with the union flag.

Sentries were posted and Brigadier-General Wyatt and a Colonel Gell selected one body at random. The other three were reburied.

A French Honour Guard was selected and stood by the coffin overnight of the chosen soldier overnight.

On the morning of the 8th November, a specially designed coffin made of oak from the grounds of Hampton Court arrived and the Unknown Warrior was placed inside.

On top was placed a crusaders sword and a shield on which was inscribed:

"A British Warrior who fell in the GREAT WAR 1914-1918 for King and Country".

On the 9th of November, the Unknown Warrior was taken by horse-drawn carriage through Guards of Honour and the sound of tolling bells and bugle calls to the quayside.

There, he was saluted by Marechal Foche and loaded onto HMS Vernon bound for Dover. The coffin stood on the deck covered in wreaths, surrounded by the French Honour Guard.

Upon arrival at Dover, the Unknown Warrior was met with a nineteen gun salute - something that was normally only reserved for Field Marshals.

A special train had been arranged and he was then conveyed to Victoria Station, London.

He remained there overnight, and, on the morning of the 11th of November, he was finally taken to Westminster Abbey.

The idea of the unknown warrior was thought of by a Padre called David Railton who had served on the front line during the Great War the union flag he had used as an altar cloth whilst at the front, was the one that had been draped over the coffin.

It was his intention that all of the relatives of the 517,773 combatants whose bodies had not been identified could believe that the Unknown Warrior could very well be their lost husband, father, brother or son...

THIS is the reason we wear poppies.

We do not glorify war.

We remember - with humility - the great and the ultimate sacrifices that were made, not just in this war, but in every war and conflict where our service personnel have fought - to ensure the liberty and freedoms that we now take for granted.

Every year, on the 11th of November, we remember the Unknown Warrior.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

How bloody true! :heart:

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 7
  5. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

MUTHA F#CKER!!! :mad:

Long story short...
    I drilled a test hole in the new part of the man-cave floor that myself & my mate laid. Just to double check the depth of concrete for my lift installation. But didn't bother to do so on the far side of the original part of the floor. As I'd seen how thick the concrete was on the edge we exposed. When we knocked the wall down on that side to treble the width of the original garage. It was approx 300mm (12") thick.

Turns out it had been laid in a wedge shape. 12" on one side but only approx 2.5" on the other! F#ck knows why anybody would lay a concrete floor like that but the f#cktards did! :rolleyes:

After a back breaking day. I'm nearly ready for the ready mix concrete delivery. The end result will have solid steel bars wedged into place in the bottom & they'll be welded together before the concrete is poured in. The resulting block should be well over engineered & immovable.
    It won't cost a huge amount extra to resolve. But it was still a Mutha F#cker to discover the problem! :confused:

Here's the nearly finished hole in the floor. It'll be 800mm deep. You'll see how thin the concrete is around the edge nearest the wall!
    20191102_153009.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • WTF WTF x 1
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    If you had kept going DD then you could have had an inspection pit and wouldn't need the lift :p:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

By the time it's completely dug out. I'll have approx 50 rubble sacks of earth to dispose of. I'm thinking of making a pair of "The Great Escape" trousers.
    Then standing around on neighbours gardens whilst I engage them in conversation & deposit the unwanted soil etc :cool:

B#llocks to trying to dispose of or move 100 times as much for an inspection pit! o_O

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MadMrB

MadMrB Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    You could keep going an have an El Chapo style escape tunnel...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Only if you're handy with a spade & free for the next 6 months MrB?
    By this time tomorrow, I reckon I'll have had my fill of digging holes mate! :kissing:
    I was never a fan & today has done nothing to change that! :confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad.
    Swore I saw an Aussie flag there.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

I had a chat with @Ron Ashurst last night Joe.
    He said I might find a Viking skull, Roman gold or an unexploded WW2 bomb? Sadly no gold but thankfully no bombs either mate :)

That original floor has been down for 35yrs. Even though it's ridiculously thin on one edge. It's been fine for everything that was parked on it. But it was wholly unsuitable for what I now require it to support.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Annie
    Will be happier now.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Notso

Notso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Did I miss the bit where Dozers Dad said why he is digging a hole in his garage floor?!o_O just checked my post history to make sure I haven't offended him, think I am safe!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Could you remind me of the length of your torso & legs please mate?

I'd be happy to wait & see what needs to be cut down on the day. But my mate Fred West is a real stickler for detail.
    He's brilliant with concrete though :cool: :p

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Notso

Notso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Well, in between hiding from Dozers Dad I have been knocking up this tool board out of a leftover piece of skirting and MDF, couldn't resist getting a pic of a bike on it! With only a little shed I need to be organised, put it up this morning and started loading it up;

20191103_110359.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  16. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Just in case any of you lot didn't get your yearly fix of hole photos yesterday?..
    20191103_140609.jpg
    As holes go, I've seen better. But I've also seen a lot worse.
    Before anyone starts to suffer from hole envy. I won't post anymore photos until it's full of concrete. And therefore no longer a hole.

If reading that took you 15 secs & looking at the photo took 5 secs? That's 20 secs of your life you will never get back! :cool: :p

BTW... Fred is still insisting on knowing your vital statistics @Notso :neutral:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad
    That's a great hole. You should be proud of it. Personally I think I would have done the lot as it still looks a little thin in places. Also are you going to put a time capsule in there for posterity. Perhaps something like one of every present bank not and coin. Perhaps a gold chain.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  18. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

#178 Dozers Dad, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Cheers Joe,
    As you're an Irishman, your opinion on my hole means a lot Sir! (Oi, no sniggering at the back boys!)
    The average Irishman knows a thing or two about what constitutes a good quality hole! :blush:

As for doing the "lot" the concrete block that will inhabit that hole. Will weigh approx 1.6-1.8tons Joe. I appreciate there's nothing in the photo to give you any idea of scale. But the base of the lift post on that side will only occupy less than 1/6th of the surface area mate.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad.
    Sure does look like an Irish mans type hole. But I am still confused these days. Long time ago my employer gave me two shovels and said joe take your pick. I looked at him very strangely and thought the ejit doesn't have a clue there's no bloody pick there. I am still thinking about it.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange There is no good cop!
    Staff Member Subscriber

Oct 28, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    Should have said mate, I'm a dab hand at digging holes :cool:

;)

• Funny Funny x 2