Featured The Mighty T140v

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Iron, Apr 29, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    That’s shocking!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Honest Guv, it came apart in my hands. Looks like all the standard clocks, headlight, indicators, mudguards and electrics may fall off too.

1.jpg

Looks like I espy new valves

2.jpg

Hmmmm.....:expressionless:

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #23 Iron, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Engine came out easily and, from the looks of it, has been worked on recently. The casings are jointed with what looks like threebond or similar and all the gaskets are sealed with wellseal. All the mounting bolts are brand new, the frame is newly powder coated (there was aboslutely nothing in the oil - blasting medium or metal particles) even the mudguards have a plastic rough finish underneath.

2.jpg

There's a couple more I should be getting on with but I'll drop the head off to have a peek. Once I binned the Jap NGK plugs and stuck in a couple of Champion (the wonderhorse) 3Cs it runs absolutely lovely even with the older Amals (no access to pilot circuit jet).
    So, this may stay as it is. Perhaps the engine was rebuilt ok and the rest of it was done by the dealer.
    These really are like bedsteads in their original outfit

3.jpg

4.jpg

The loom was new so took my time in getting it off in one piece. I usually just cut the mess off. But this should be ok for someone at the next auto jumble.

5.jpg

And here it is all naked. Looks miles better already. Don't think I'll do anything other than new brake lines, replace the front master cylinder (originals just look poo) cut down the mudguards and rewire with new lights. Dunno what I'm gonna do with the zorsts yet but I like the quiet ones that were on it so they may go back on. Laters :)....over....

6.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    #24 darkman, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Wow, great progress :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    The existing racing green and pinstriped mudguards seem a bit too nice to attack with the hacksaw. So put them on the shelf to think about it, cut these spare chrome ones up instead and polished up the fork top nuts.

1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Had to use the heat gun to get the tappets covers, rocker boxes etc off as there's a good coat of wellseal on all the gaskets. If you use wellseal just be aware that it not only sticks the gasket in place, it also sticks everything together forever. So heat is required when removing, it then sticks to everything while its bloody hot!

Ow, you bastard, try not to rub off or it'll take the skin with it. So, the inside of the engine is luvly, everything is new, spotless and looks to be a proper job, phew. We'll leave that be then.

Can rebuild now but change a few things on the way. New headlight bracket made from stainless

1.jpg

And a nice new mini bates like headlight. Nice ones these, they come with an actual working main beam warning light, a side/parking light and a 3 pin connector with rubber cover (I cut that off obviously)

2.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Good news on the eng internals and rebuilding it will give you piece of mind :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    All new inside, even new camshafts so that's all back together and back in the frame. They don't get any lighter.:sweat:
    Even though these go in with the rocker boxes on it's a fiddle sometimes and this one was. Phew...

1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Road test soon :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #30 Iron, May 29, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Fenagled the engine in so that all bolts fitted nicely, had to bend a footrest slightly to keep it away from an engine case. Takes quite a while to get everything just so.
    I'd bought a back light that I thought was going to look ok, cut a levelling washer and farted around with it for ages, but it didn't. So that's gone into the stash for another build. I've ordered another of those little bates type ones.
    Then I drank tea and wandered around out in the alley with a stupid look on my face wondering what to do next. Couldn't make up my mind so loosely put the LF Harris headers in (that have been hiding in the stash) to see what they look like. And perched the little bates seat and silencers on. I like how all the chrome bits look together at the back.

3.jpg

I had ordered an ally Trackmaster tank last Autumn. They never got back to me so I reminded them several times and they replied that I was on the list and they would let me know when it was done. They even offered to take a deposit - that was good of them wasn't it. I'm glad I never gave them a deposit as they've never been back on to me. I really don't know how some people keep their business going.

2.jpg

I've always quite liked the flat tracker look and I think I'm gonna stick with the bates seat and maybe add a pillion pad if I can find a small one. I like how the seat springs compliment the rear shock springs. I'm going to keep all the original hinges etc on the frame just in case a reversion is required because it is in really quite good condition. The silencers will need to be angled up a bit more. :)....over...

• Like Like x 8
  11. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Shame about the tank as that would really finish it off :) keep at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm really enjoying this build, @Iron. Nearly as much as your descriptions of doing it. "Then I drank tea and wandered around out in the alley with a stupid look on my face wondering what to do next." :joy::joy::joy: I also like the flat tracker look. Question. What's an ally Trackmaster tank? :neutral:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    One of these. This is a racing flat tracker for a left turning oval track. All zorsts brake lever, gear lever are on the right to allow max lean to the left. No brake on the front.
    The frames and tanks were Trackmaster built items. The tanks are easily available in fibreglass but I don't really want to line it or drain it of fuel every time I use it. I know some use them as they are but I'd like a metal one so I can paint and use as a normal tank.

67fa5025072a5704f14ec4f56c9fdf1c.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #34 Iron, May 31, 2022
    Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Remember that delivery oil line that was kinked? Well I didn't FFS. Caused by the oil block having a delivery tube too long. So that had to come off. It's a bit of an arse with the engine in and not wanting to take the gearbox outer cover off again. But got it off with me wobbly extensions - handy when you need 'em.

1.jpg

Cut the delivery tube shorter and whacked it back on. Only took me an hour to get the bum hole bastard back on. Maybe I should've taken the cover off after all. But you know how it is, fuck asking for directions it'll be down here somewhere even if I've gotta go the whole way round the world to get there.

Then I farted around trying to figure out how to fix the seat. Again, got a bit fixated going for springs on the bates seat. I have a few hanging around and tried them all doing little sketches etc. I eventually asked the cat - he had just about the same amount of ideas I was having....:neutral:

2.jpg

So went in and ate some crisps, a couple of fried egg sandwiches and a large Yorkshire tea. Sorted. Bend and paint a bracket and bolt it on you tit, easy :)

3.jpg

Used those zorst spacer things that are never the right diameter so they have to be cut and bent to fit. Cut some new hanger brackets, painted and the zorsts are at the right angle for fixing in place properly.

4.jpg

Just waiting for the back light. A few bits and bobs to order and sort then the dreaded 'lectrix. Goodie gum drops......over...

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Nice and clean looking now :) springs and a swingarm, so glad the cat got involved and saved the day :joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    :) Ahaaaa, you are now an official member of " The Dome Nut Club, " Iron !! :cool: You must have one somewhere on the bike (non - factory) or there are 'serious' reaperconclussions .. like buying a round for those whom are laughing, pointing, and calling you names to make a mother blush ! Well done ! :sun::sun:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #37 Iron, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    I'm in! Sorted. I have had to put a dome nut (well a dome bolt, hopefully that still counts) onto the front of the seat hinge as there wasn't enough room for a normal one above the battery box rubber mount. Luckily I already had the special tool required to insert it. Here it is for those of you who don't know what's normally under the seat on a Bonny. It's the other end for the tools.

1.jpg

Just been down the garage to get the photographic reaperconclussion evidence. Do I get a badge or something to show that I'm a member?
    -DNCFFDNC-

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  18. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    Good thought .. up until now, it's just been a secretive look and raised eyebrow. Sorry, bolts (unless exceedingly well disguised) don't count, BUT .. the nut on the sidecover gets you in .... WELCOME to the nuts club :imp::D Get yer friends involved .. there's nothing like watching others trying to find your nuts ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #39 Iron, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    And, that's about it. Number plate and bracket done, back light on, carbs and throttle (one of the slides was stuck with a varnish of dried petrol, just shows ya) clutch rod hardened with fire and clutch cable all on. A wee laddie could easily pull it now, clutch frees up on first kick.
    Awaiting Z1 brake master cylinder, hydraulic lines, speedo and sender and a pillion pad (jury is out over the seating arrangements)

2.jpg

I've badly drawn a pad in on this one :rolleyes:

1.jpg

Now off to watch the Trooping of the Colour.......stand by your beds, what, what.....
    Happy Birthday to HRH

• Like Like x 9
  20. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Great job and done in a flash :) seat can be changed anytime :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1