The Long Way Down - And Back

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Levy89, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Levy89

Levy89 New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Rutland
    Hi everyone!

New here to the forum and to owning a Triumph although I've been biking for a few years! Recently bought myself a Triumph Bonneville T100 Black and absolutely loving riding it.

As you can probably tell from the name of the thread, I'm planning a road trip (to Saint Tropez) and back on my Bonnie, which is at the end of the month!

I was planning on doing the journey in 2 days there and 2 days back - has anyone got any experience of these roads, any advice on places to go, not to go, where to stay, how to break up the journey etc? I'd be grateful for your advice!

Also, here's my just giving page if you'd like to read up on my story, why I'm doing the ride and if you'd like to donate... https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/michael-leverton

Thanks in advance!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi Michael,and welcome to the forum, i'm glad to hear you are on the mend,As for routes,i think with the distance and time involved you might have to stay on the motorways and i don't think you will have much time to visit places en route,maybe doing it over 6 days instead of 4 would be better? Hopefully someone on here that has been to Saint Tropez can offer you some advice.
    All the best with the fundraising

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Levy89

Levy89 New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Rutland
    Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the sponsorship Dougie! yeah, I think it will just have to be motorways & toll roads on the first day. I'm aiming to get down to the alps by the end of the first day and then have a bit more of a relaxed ride the next day and enjoy the scenery.

Noted, it's going to be tough, but so is cancer and the battles people fight on a daily basis. I am really excited to do it, but know I'm in for a royal amount of pain!

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #4 thebiglad, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    No problem Michael,it's a worthwhile cause that almost everyone has been affected by one way or another,you might want to look at comfort seat pads for yourself and your wife,this one is similar to the Airhawk seat pad but it's a fraction of the price,i've heard the trick is not to over inflate them
    http://www.tourtecs.com/en/

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Ok. I did this in 1982 o_O...2 up on a BMW R100RS after a wedding in Chichester. Dover-Calais went for a ball of chalk and we went Portsmouth-Le Havre late p.m. as I sobered up! NOT such a bad idea as the ferry afforded a chance to sleep.
    However, check on French holidays as the autoroute was nose to tail for 50 miles going into Paris. We then drove through the night apart from a couple of hours snatched in an aire (service area) in full gear. Breakfast at Lyon and as the sun came up needed to lose lots of layers and energy flooded back. Peeled off the motorway for the last bit and took the scenic route over the hills to cut the last corner down to Port Grimaud/St Tropez.
    Observations: It is very long way. Not far short of John O'Groats to Dover AFTER you have crossed the channel. Cruising at speed without a fairing....rather you than me and I was a racing snake fresh out of army training. The bike can do it. You might struggle. You need to decide if you want to endure the trip or enjoy it. If the latter, then take more time and mix up the route between motorway and A roads, take long lunches and book from relais slightly off the beat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Did I mention my wife thereafter became a reluctant pillion and we walked like John Wayne for several days?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Hi Michael and welcome to the forum.

I did the trip youre contemplating a long long time ago ( 1982 ) and made the trip in about 2 1/2 days setting off from the Manchester area.

I certainly would have been in no condition to turn around and do it all over again on my arrival in St Tropez ( we camped in Port Grimaud ).

With hind sight and experience of doing some longer rides I would suggest that the advice given by others here is good, and bears looking at closely.

I have also run a Saddle Sore Ride ( 1000 miles in 24 hours ) and would suggest that you look seriously at food and liquid intake over the riding periods and plan everything including rest & fuel stops with contingencies for unexpected issues ( detours, slower riding to extend fuel range, tyre problems etc ) as well as some longer acclimatisation rides here to ensure youre fit for the trip.

Most of all be safe and enjoy the trip.

Please excuse the quality of the old pic
    XJ 650-2.jpg
    Mine was the XJ

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    That handlebar fairing was a godsend even though I didn't realise it at the time !

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I forgot to mention the pain I developed in the back of my neck that mysteriously abated when my wife furiously battered me on the shoulder.

She had been resting the chin piece of her Ago replica on the nape of my neck and fallen asleep......we were cruising at about 90mph.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I had forgotten this till now, but ......

I had to slow down to investigate a dragging noise and showers of sparks behind us in the dark only to find out the ex had fallen asleep and her feet were off the rear pegs and the metal boot tips were dragging as the bike leaned changing lanes.

And riding on the rainurage (sp. the diagonal grooves in the road surface ) was interesting to say the least !

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Levy89

Levy89 New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Rutland
    Thanks for all the replies and advice guys! I'm sifting through and searching for bits and bobs as we speak!

I think we are going to try and leave the evening before now and get down to Dover the night before, catch the ferry in the morning and then do the ride to Geneva-ish the next day - still a long way to go but it knocks almost 200 miles off!

Does anyone have any advice on luggage for the Bonneville- something that looks reasonably stylish? also, I believe we will be hitting the toll roads in Central France - has anyone booked these before leaving or do you tend to ride through an pay as you go? I've no idea on cost for them at the moment.

13. Levy89

Levy89 New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Rutland
  14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You need to be careful soft luggage neither impedes your pillions legs nor intrudes on the rear suspension. Two up you really need a solid frame whether hard or soft bags are attached. If you really are traveling light a tank bag is a good idea. If you plan to go shopping on the bike swallow hard and buy some decent gear.
    £450! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-B...fe4608&pid=100677&rk=1&rkt=16&sd=152455521495

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Hi Michael,
    Welcome to long rides, a few years ago I did Geneva to Northampton in 12 hours door to door so St Trop' is possible but as others have said you will be
    well knacke'd to do a 4 day trip there and back.
    Saddle bags/throwovers make the pillion seat very hard ( I can still hear the complaints!) panniers are much better but for a short time trip a big top box and a tank bag would do.
    Just back from a 4 week ride to Albania and back solo which included the Tententreffen near Brugge, 6 nights in Albania and a visit to Rome and Pisa then the FIM Motocamp at Poppi in Italy for 6 nights returning via Friedrichshafen (Zeppelin Museum), Calais -Dover 4,400 miles on a 1993, 900 Trophy.
    A way to save time is to use a Halifax credit card (no charges if you clear it next month) for tolls and fuel. I tuck the toll ticket into the tank bag with the credit card then its ticket in, card in / out and go.
    Just do it and have fun.

17. Levy89

Levy89 New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Rutland
    Thanks again for all the welcomes and the advice - I'm very glad I joined!!
    I see what your saying about the luggage and can't believe the prices!! I don't suppose there is anyone local to me who wouldn't mind lending me some sort of luggage for the week?
    Bateby that sounds like an epic journey! I'm rather jealous and wish I could do this for a living - I can't wait to get going!!

18. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum Michael.
    Great choice of bike.
    That is a long trip you have chosen, it is a shame you cannot spend more time along the Cote-d'azur because it is stunning and filled with bikers.
    Glad things are looking positive for you, take care and ride safely.

19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I can't believe the prices either! A bit of a racket with injection moulding taking over from hand laid glass fibre as in the days of my youth (cut hands from stray fibres commonplace!!) I am sure makers and retailers still plead 'low volume'!
    You might find the best purchase compromise is a tank bag and luggage rack onto which you can bungee a soft bag (with bin liner to waterproof contents) . It will also provide your navigator with a grab rail.
    Your time frame still looks like flagellation to me.

20. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    One of the guys, I'm sure it was Only Son made himself some great hard panniers from some water tight containers.
    Richard H. has als put some great videos and travel bag info on the forum.
    Worth a search.