The Last Open Road

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hobnail, Oct 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Northern Riders. This goes out to those of us who must bid farewell to our faithful steeds for several months as winter pulls a gray coat over the sky and our world is transformed into quiet whiteness. Motoring down to the last ride of the difficult season 2020, post your last ride experience, good or bad. That day has not arrived for me as of yet, but post I will.

Brown fields slate sky
    Sharp wind, the leaves blow by
    Near the fire teacup in hand
    I will dream of spring and another green land.

PICT0018.jpg

• Like Like x 24
  2. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    That could be a UK sky with the overhead lines and plethora of vapour trails.....................

• Like Like x 2
  3. String

String Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Sunderland
    I didn’t know that when I went out last month, it would turn out to be the final run of the season for me.
    My pals and I have a regular route that we call the Coast & Country. It takes in a good variety of roads - cliff top coast views, fast A roads and some twisties for good measure. It’s always finished with a slow cruise along the sea front admiring any ladies that happen to be in the vicinity and then parking up for coffee and fish and chips.
    It was late September when we were out last - a gorgeous, sunny, late summer evening after work - perfect conditions for the Bonnie.
    Like I say, I hadn’t planned this as the last ride but since then the weather has been rubbish and now both bikes are laid up for the winter.
    Happy memories - roll on the spring.

• Like Like x 7
  4. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Beautiful image :heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Beautiful photo, @Hobnail. And though I didn't ride back when I lived in Minnesota, I remember well how sad I was when winter arrived. I'm not a winter person--no skiing, snowmobiling, etc.--so it's no accident that I moved to California from MN and now live in AZ. :sun: When Mr. Sandi suggests we move back to the family farm, I remind him that we'd only be able to ride our motorcycles half as much for the rest of our lives. ;):cool: Hang in there and I will hope for a relatively short winter for you. Well, unless you have another hobby that you love that depends on snow and cold weather!

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Sad. Nice poem, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    You know when you describe to non bikers what its like to ride a motorcycle and they just dont get? Then you think, I wish I had a photo that just sums it all up?

Now I do, thank you......:cool:;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Yeah,
    Sadness makes happiness so much sweeter. Just like the changing seasons makes me intensely appreciate the summer riding.

Cold ride today and had to bring in all the flowers at the house. Hard frost tonight, and estimated 2 C in the AM. No ride tomorrow, as it's below this old man's threshold. Next week looks like it will be the end, if I can sneak a ride or two. All the woolly caterpillars had donned coats, the Farmer's Almanac says cold, so we return to the great white north in Iowa.

• Like Like x 5
  9. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    With you on that. I used to ride regardless the weather, no more, I'm too old for it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nice picture mate....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Had my last ride for the season yesterday. Now eagerly waiting for the skiing season!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Timmy Tucker

Timmy Tucker Elite Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Newmarket
    Screenshot_20201015-014825_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  13. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Their, their, @Ducatitotriumph, don't get too upset by that. ;)

• Funny Funny x 7
  15. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  16. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Well, despite living in the Highlands of Scotland I am not about to put my bikes away for the winter. If I am honest I am a winter person and dislike it being too hot. Crisp cold sunny days are what I live for and, for years now they have been rare in my area of Argyll. Last year I think we had five days or so when the temp dropped below zero Celsius! Now rain is a pain but a day on the bike with the sun glistening on dry frosty country is a joy! So far, although I haven't had that many opportunities to be out on my bikes, I haven't needed to wear more than a T-shirt under my sheepskin flying jacket and have been, somewhat recklessly, only wearing my standard combat trousers. If the temp drops a little I might get my leather breeks on I suppose and maybe a thin jumper under my flying jacket.

• Like Like x 5
  17. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    They spelt it right, it was just the rong werd. o_O

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep, where are those darn grammar police you were searching for in another thread, JtC? ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Highlands? More like the outer ‘burbs o’ Glesga! Thirty miles as the crow flies but another World away......

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Is this the right place for a discourse on possessive pronouns, adverbs and prepositions and how they may also be used adjectivally or even as nouns?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1