The Kindness Of Strangers -- A Gift Of Motorcycle Poetry

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sandi T, Apr 21, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I always marvel at the connections that are made when motorcycles are involved. Some of these connections are lasting, some fleeting. Recently I had one of those fleeting ones but it's an encounter that I will always remember. A friend and I had met up at a local bagel joint on our Harleys to have a bite then ride to one of the dealerships so he could look at the used touring models. While sitting outside eating our bagels and sipping coffee, a van pulled up and parked next to our bikes. An older couple got out and the gentleman pulled out his walker and made a bit of a joke about bumping into my bike with it. We laughed and he made a couple of nice comments about our motorcycles. The couple then got their own bagels and coffee and wound up sitting one table over from us out on the patio. Unexpectedly, the woman came over to our table and said that her husband wanted me to have this.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 11.21.14 AM.png

On the spot, (and his napkin) he had written a poem for me! It was one of the sweetest things that I recall a stranger ever doing for me. And it was a wonderful and clear reminder of how a motorcycle--even if ever so briefly--can bring two strangers together and remind us that oftentimes we have more in common than we might think or believe. :)

I'll type it out here so it's more easily read. My friend, Mr. Sandi, and I all had to team up to make out every word.

We were out in Tucson
    Where all the Harley riders ride
    It is so evident
    they do so with pride
    I have never seen such pretty iron
    boy I wish I could visit those days
    Please be careful there boys and girls
    always please remember the wonderful days
    I hope all of you do it safely
    with the wind upon your back
    and when iron riders begin bitching
    just say you're the leader of the pack

DJ
    Yuma, AZ

• Like Like x 17
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T / Steve.
    What a nice gesture. I am sitting here feeling sorry for my self. And this little topic pops up to raise my sprits. It is great. I am on the mend now i think just got a chest and throat i think someone has gone at it with a wire brush but i am out of bed at least. Tracy has gone of and left me with my blessing of course. Two years ago when they had finished a two year university stint for their roles in the NHS she and her colleagues had planned a trip to Italy. Well we all know what happened next and now was the only time they could get it together and i am elated for all of them. God only know how hard they have worked to deserve the break. But there is some nice people still out there. Thanks for sharing it as it really has lifted me up. And to beat all it has been warm here.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 2
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @joe mc donald
    Glad my post and poem lifted your spirits, Joe! It definitely lifted mine as well when The poet gave his poem to me. :) I’m Really glad to know that you’re feeling better! I hope you continue to mend very quickly. I’m also glad Tracy got well in time to go off on the graduation celebration trip. Enjoy the warm weather…but don’t do too much when you’re still feeling under the weather.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Sandi T: ´Thanks for sharing this great experience and the poem with us. The poem and the whole story is incredibly heartwarming!:kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Markus
    Yes, I found the whole experience tremendously heartwarming, Markus. It was one of those times that makes one realize that there are many kind, good people still in the world contrary to how it may seem sometimes. Looking back I wished I'd talked with this couple a bit more while we all sat on the patio sipping our coffee.I'd have asked them what brought them to Tucson from Yuma, were they enjoying it, did they used to ride motorcycles, how did he come to be able to pen a poem in nuthin' flat and then give it away! :) I'll bet that they have very interesting stories to tell.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    He wrote what we all know, that motorcycles no matter who you are, have the ability to bring people together. Maybe we should encourage each politician to buy one, maybe then they could talk to each other, and who knows they could find common ground to solve the worlds problems. Yes, I know dream on. :(.
    What a memorable moment indeed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    What a lovely thing to happen:grinning:
    Makes a change from "Bloody motorcyclists!"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    don't tell me you are talking to people riding brand new BMWs..:laughing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Some of the nicest people I've met have been ex-bikers. People that have come up to me and complemented my bike then gone on to tell me about their accident that ended their riding days. Once a biker, always a biker. Bloody 'ell, I think I'm going soft. :eek::D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I hope you was on a Triumph and not a Harley :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @Sandi T. Think i remember say something similar to your good self. Here is my Darling enjoying the sunshine.
    Tracy Italy.jpg Tracy Italy.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What a fantastic story @Sandi T and poem from the fella. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Anything that has the ability to raise ones spirit these be days is most welcome, i think most folk these days can see the mess the world's in and how the actions of a few can change everyone's life so quickly and so dramatically, we all need something at the moment and good words or positive actions of any kind no matter how simple they are or seem to be, have the ability to make everybodies life a lot more bearable and hopeful for the future. :heart::heart::cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Nope, @Havit. My bike that day was El Gordo, the Fat Boy. And my friend was on a big purple Harley Ultra! :joy::joy::joy: I did get the sense that it wouldn't have mattered if we were on Honda Groms--the poem would have still been written with the same sentiment. I think. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @TEZ 217
    Very well said, Tez. It's difficult in these times to not get discouraged or cynical. But a simple encouraging word or act of kindness can really lift someone's spirits and restore a bit of hope and faith in humanity and the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1