the helmet windnoise old chestnut !

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by cliverdee, Feb 9, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Scotland
    cliverdee I hope you get some joy out of your visit to HPS. I've bought from them many times but never visited them. At your height the Triumph touring screen won't work, in fact you're better off with the standard (smaller) screen mounted on the adjustable mount (maybe that's what you're using now, don't know). You will find (I think) that the MRA vario screen which comes as two large plates that move up and down to adjust is too low for you. This is the MRA screen developed specifically for the Tiger800. There is another MRA vario screen (I don't know the model names), it was marketed for the Tiger800 before the one just mentioned became avalable. This one is more like a generic screen with a mount for the Tiger800, and consists of a single plate (screen) with an adjustable flap near the top. It may or may not work for you, I never tried it. You either need to go smaller (eg. std. Triumph screen) or bigger than the Triumph touring screen eg. Puig - which is what I now have, Givi, or Madstad - for total wind protection. I haven't tried Madstad but it's reputation cannot be denied, I didn't go for Madstad because I didn't want the 'total' solution, the Puig gives me a nice compromise of wind protection but still on a near naked bike. HPS market Madstad screens so you're going to a good place to investigate, maybe you'll find that is your answer. Anyway good luck.

2. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    well I was at the Audiologist today and had a hearing test which showed it better than average, and because I said I don't let the tinnitus bother me she said there was no point in doing a 'matching sounds' test as I was following all the psychological therapies she has up her sleeve... but I did get the mouldings done for the Starkey filtered ear plugs. These should arrive in 7-10 days so will report on what difference they make. Davy, thanks for your info on the screens and I think before making a purchase I'll also go over to Gainsborough to Pyramid Plastics who have the PUIG screens and check out their advice. Your comments about the MRA screens has made me wary. At present I've the Triumph Adjustable screen on the Tiger which is too low for me in any position...this was one of the freebies put on by the dealership when I got the bike new last October... so really I want something that is taller / slightly wider perhaps but not so it interferes with handlebar movement, and that fits straight onto the current fixing points. I've a feeling the better weather is almost here and am itching to get down to Devon to see my brother who lives on the coast... today he was describing wall to wall blue skies and a light breeze so I'm putting all my faith in HPS Alfreton for the MRA & Madstad, or Pyramid in Gainsborough with the PUIG to sort me out!... my friend with a Harley Road King just shakes his head and says ' Clive, just stop messing about and get a Harley'.....

3. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Good news about your hearing Clive :)

I just remembered another option you might think about. Have you heard/seen anything from these guys

I used one of their brackets on my Tiger 1050 and it worked reasonably well. Not the most attractive accessory but it helps.

Also check out the 800 website and search for "screen" .................. :eek:

4. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Scotland
    I'm on that forum too, if you search for 'screen' you'd better make sure you've got a couple of uninterrupted days to spare, 'cos that's how long it will take you to process the information!! The screen is a very prolific area in Tiger800's.

Clive one of the things I was saying is you'd actually be better off with the standard screen than the touring screen, did you get a standard screen with the bike? I think you (and I) are exectly the wrong size for the touring screen!!

5. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    thanks for further advice and pointing me to the Tiger 800 forum...not had chance to properly have a look yet but clearly no simple straightforward answer with the many variables involved. I didn't get the standard screen with the bike as the dealership fitted the adjustable screen as a freebie and didn't give me the standard screen as well. Is the adjustable screen what you refer to Davy as the 'touring' screen? .. but yes its too short for my height in any position. Given the tinnitus issue and wanting to use the motorways to the South West at 70mph I really am looking for a screen to take the wind over my head rather than a short one that would leave my head exposed... I'm quite worried about making the tinnitus worse even with the expensive moulded filtered ear plugs I'm waiting for. ..

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi CD, just a quick thought here. Tinnitus is called exposure to excessive noise; screens that don't work correctly create turbulence; turbulence create more noise and 'batters' the ears; smaller screens take the weight of wind off your chest but leave smooth air around your head (ie quieter); and finally those bunny ears handlebar mirrors create turbulence a-go-go - replace them for bar end mirrors and your longer distance rides WILL be more comfortable.

As a quick experiment, take them off and do a ride at 60-70 mph and note the difference. It only takes a couple of mins to remove them so give it a go, eh?

7. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Scotland
    the standard screen comes on a fixed mount, the touring screen is bigger and comes on an adjustable mount. You can mount the standard screen on the adjustable base, but as you don't have the standard screen that is academic.

have just thought, some riders on the tiger800 forum have found that the Triumph touring screen (ie. what you have) works with an adjustable flap attached to the top. This is a low cost option compared to anything else. I haven't tried this myself, having settled on the Puig screen. If you search on ebay for 'puig screen deflector' in vehicle parts and accessories you will see what I mean. The flap with the central hinge comes in different curves along the bottom to match different screen tops. The other type you will see is an adjustable aerofoil (like some MRA screens have) and doesn't need to match the curve in the same way. MRA do a similar add on flap which costs a bit more I think. You need to measure the width of your screen at the top to see that the flap clamps will fit.

8. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Thanks, will ask the guys at HPS about the MRA add on spoiler that possibly would fit to my existing screen... see what they say and advise... also the PUIG + spoiler at Pyramid plastics... overall its quite interesting the huge variance of opinion, and that's before I've had a proper look through the Tiger 800 forum on the subject.. am a bit taken aback by the advice that that the mirrors are also a great source of unwelcome deflected wind noise as I'll have no original Tiger left by the end of trying to sort it. Its got me wondering what Triumph have in mind when they design a bike and accessory screens that so many are unhappy with... after all, I'm only wanting to travel at 60-70 mph. and the wind noise is unpleasant at anything over 50mph... and I wouldn't class myself as overly tall at 5'11" ... at least I don't get buffeting, just the roar of the wind...£300 on the long haul screen for my Bonneville introduced me to the delight of buffeting, hence it got taken off.. what a waste of cash that was! When I had a 1982 750cc Tiger twin (that was back in 1983), I had a 'barn door' handlebar windscreen fitted which was just right.... so I know its possible.. but here's a question... Is there anybody out there who is perfectly happy with the Tiger screens as supplied by Triumph?? .. if so please say how tall you are so I get some idea of the gap to fill with a spoiler or new screen... I did the measurement test (midway between nose & chin) and got someone to measure up from the headlight whilst I held a straight edge horizontally... this gave a measurement of 23" .. but I'm not really sure if that helps or not!!

9. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Scotland
    don't think it's the mirrors, if you remove the screen you will be in smooth air.

I think the only riders who are completely happy are those with Madstad screens, I think most others are either putting up with it or have found an acceptable compromise (that's me, I still hear windnoise but at a level I'm comforable with). The Madstad is a compromise too ... its looks are not great and it's expensive!

10. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Well after attempting to digest all the world wide comments suggestions and opinions I'm finally getting something sorted screen wise. Went up to HPS at Alfreton yesterday and they couldn't have been more helpful. I've opted for the 20" Madstad Explorer clear screen. Apparently they sell mostly the Explorer and far less of the Adventure screen... very few opt for the Sport screen. Re the MRA screens I was told it was variable as to whether people found them satisfactory whereas no one apparently had found problems with the Madstad. I've placed my order and they are just waiting for a delivery of the fixings next week so fingers crossed I shall be a happy rider at long last! Incidentally I've now got Alpine moulded earplugs with green F7 filters that give an attenuation of 36.8db in the higher frequencies where the wind noise lies and a Shuberth C3 Pro helmet ... which is actually a lot quieter than the S2 I previously used. When I've got the screen fitted I'll post again with the verdict on the Madstad! thanks again for all your help & advice.

11. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    I use both full face and open lids on my bikes and have tried several different plugs over the years. The last ones I was using were the silicone type that you squish in your ear, but they had a tendency to dislodge easily and they get dirty quickly too.

I just bought a set of "Mould Your Own" ones on eBay and they are definitely the best I've had so far. Really comfortable when in, don't dislodge, washable, and most importantly they block out all the noise you don't want. They were £15 inc postage and I'd say that they're good value.

image.jpg

12. acerboo

acerboo New Member

Jan 18, 2015
    maidstone kent
    interesting about the tinnitus. I have it as well and my hearing is superb. its quite loud but I manage to ignore it 90% of the time. I bought a schuberth helmet as it was supposed to be the quietest on the market but I find wind noise awful.. funny thing when I had my bonnie it was even worse with a heavy buffeting but on the thruxton that at least has gone.

13. jon675

jon675 Member

Apr 12, 2015
    West Mids
    #33 jon675, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Was talking to a lad last week and he had drilled a few holes on the edge of his screen on the Tiger and said it had helped with the wind noise.

Got no idea if it works or how true it is...