Textile Or Leather Jacket On A Bonneville?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by DavidBrownLaw, Jul 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    He's based in Kansas though.

2. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Haha i thought of checking that when i was typing it but couldnt be arsed

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    For me it depends on the weather. If it is wet or looks like it will be I go with textile which is fiully waterproof, but if it is warm and sunny it has to be leather.:):) If I'm touring it is always textile for the waterproof protection.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bryn

Bryn Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Croft, Leicestershire
    Looking at a Furygan Freddy... looks like it will suit the Bonnie :cool:

1C3D583B-180B-4423-83A4-E309DA47038F.png

• Like Like x 3
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, Bryn, that jacket does look like it will suit your Bonnie nicely! :cool: Nice that it comes with armor and a zip out liner, too. :)

So, you are responsible for my second bit of forum-related learning today (the other was in the What You Drinking Tonight? thread). I'd not heard of Furygan prior to your post so looked it up. It appears that there are very few distributors in the U.S. and that its products tend to be race-oriented. I thought I was well-versed in motorcycle jacket brands but this one was new to me! Uh oh... ;):joy:

• Like Like x 2
  6. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Don’t be embarrassed about that, Sandi! Be proud! I don’t have double digits, but close! :p

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I like that thinking, @JtC! Thanks for the perspective...and encouragement. ;):):kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bryn

Bryn Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Croft, Leicestershire
    Furygan are a french company Sandi :)

going back to 1994 the UK National Lottery was launched ...and a couple of months afterward I managed to get 5 out of 6 numbers on the mid week draw.... but unfortunately so do do thousands of others :worried:

£950 was spent wisely, including a lovely Furygan Leather Jacket from a local bike shop...the quality was superb, had it a year or two and then changed my bike .. the red and white jacket no longer matched.. so I sold it to a work mate for £50 :scream: Regret that to this day...so perhaps my second ever Furygan will redress the balance. :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Glenn A Goss

Glenn A Goss New Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Gibsonville, NC
    Mesh textile in the hot months and non mesh in the colder months.

10. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Not going to buy Furryban if it is race oriented....... don't want BLM climbing all over me.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    My leather jacket stoped fitting me years ago the older i get the fatter i get i have a textile jacket and a mesh jacket for summer i dont ride the trimuph in the rain only the deauville i find the textile better than leather in the wet

• Like Like x 1
  12. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    I haven’t found a jacket that will fit my Bonneville :p

But, I use both, depending on temperature.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Well, for me there are only two jackets to wear with a Bonnie, in the dry at least. RAF Irvin Pattern sheepskin jacket or 'Brando' style leather jacket. I adore the Irvin jacket. No idea whether sheepskin is as tough as cowhide and it doesn't have any armour in it but I figure that, with all that furry sheep wool inside it, it will be like being wrapped in unburstable bubble wrap if you hit the deck. My 'Brando' style jackets on the other hand aren't as warm but they do have full armour inside them. Surprisingly I have found the Irvin to be cool in hot weather and warm in cold. I guess the point is that all that sheepy stuff creates a thermal barrier isolating your body from whatever temperature the outside world is at.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Sheepskin tears like wet cardboard....... great thermal protection but minimal abrasion resistance. Cow good, kangaroo better...... lined ballistic nylon when it’s wet. Preoccupation with ‘style’ is strictly for Northern Lasses on a night out in sub zero temperatures.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I wouldn't say I was 'pre-occupied' with style but I do like a bit of 'cool' with a bike. If I didn't I wouldn't ride a Bonnieville but rather one of those nondescript (verging on ugly) adventure bike thingies. I guess the biggest trick with any biker wear is taking great care not to fall off and test it out and, more importantly, damage the bike. When it's the Sprint I'm on and planning to be a little wilder then yes, full armoured leather head (well neck) to toe but I don't kid myself that it will really save me if I do something stupid or I find myself going full pelt into the side of a car that has just pulled out on me. Sure it helps if you are in the kind of accident where you might get some nasty gravel rash (rare in the UK, land of walls, crash barriers, wire fences, kerbs etc.) but, in the 'Sudden stop' (tree, wall, car etc.) scenario you are likely to be still dead.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bryn

Bryn Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Croft, Leicestershire
    Well I went and tried the Furygan Freddy at Moto Central ...fit great , all except for catching my side profile in the mirror... there was a lump sticking out at the back which looked like I was hiding a slightly deflated football under there....
    the very very nice young lady assistant said it’d go away when I was sitting on the bike and leaning over .... but it was enough to put me off making the purchase ...

they do have some fantastic stuff in Moto Central, and it’s only 15 minutes away from me .

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That's some description of what you looked like in the mirror, Bryn! Good thing you checked out that side profile. :joy::joy::joy: The jacket hunt continues, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  18. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    That's just the MotoGP look, Bryn.:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Which might not be the look he’s going for on a Bonnie. ;):cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    These are what I mostly wear on my Bonneville...

Summer - Triumph Copley Leather Jacket
    Triumph_Copley_Leather_Jacket_1.jpg Triumph_Copley_Leather_Jacket_2.jpg

Winter - Triumph Newchurch Leather Jacket
    Triumph Newchurch Jacket.PNG

The Triumph Copley jacket I think is superb, it's currently on sale at Triumph direct, but quite a bit more expensive than the price I paid :D - https://triumphdirect.co.uk/copley-jacket-13703-p.asp

• Like Like x 1