Test Rode An Speed Triple Rs Today - A Couple Of Questions.

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Dickie, Aug 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Another question. Am I right in thinking the following parts would carry over from my 2015 to a 2019;

CNC front & rear brake reservoirs.
    Rad & oil cooler guards.
    Pillion Grab rail.
    Front & rear wheel axle crash protection.

2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Thant’s not poor advice fella this thread wasn’t titled my RS has failed so don’t comment on quickshifters it was about a strange gear change feeling on a test ride

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    From the top,
    Should do.
    Doubt it, the rad was much smaller for 2016 on.
    Subframe is poss the same, seat different?
    Yes :)

5. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    If you look on this forum you will see what myself and many others are talking about. The poster was asking about a bike I own, and that I have had major problems with, as well as many other on this forum, that is what I was commenting on.

6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Ok but that’s not this thread that I commented on and you told me not to be unhelpful, sorry you read the wrong thread fella

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Kat

John Kat New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Paris, France
    I had the exact opposite feeling...
    I was looking for a replacement of my 2017 Superduke R and while I liked most of features of the Speed Triple RS, it reminded me too much of it's predecessor: a rather bulky bike with lots of weight on the front end.
    I was also taken by surprise by the strong engine braking when approaching a bend.
    On the Superduke the engine brake is electronically controlled and I don't know if it adjustable on the Triumph?
    All in all it reminds me of this cartoon where a guy wants to buy a new helmet and finally ends up trying his old helmet and says: I'll buy this one!

8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Glad you’re enjoying it. I think it is one of the best naked offerings available.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    I bought an ex demo RS with 1800 miles on the clock and had a QS fitted before I collected it , as part of the purchase deal. No QS issues at all so far, fingers crossed. Have only done around 1000 miles this summer but love everything about the bike and have got used to the QS pretty quickly. I will get it serviced early next spring and get the dealer to check it over but so far so very good !

• Like Like x 2
  10. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Before I bought my bike I took the demonstrator out from my local dealer. I tried the QS several times and at different revs but I didn't like it. I thought is was not a smooth change, that it can't be good for the gearbox and that I could do a better job without it. However riding the bike I bought back home, I tried it a few times and it was slick and nice to use. So it does seem to vary between bikes for some reason. Another thing I noticed though was that my bike didn't seem to have the bottom end torque of the demonstrator. I'm wondering if it had been re-mapped.

11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Dickie, here are my thoughts, the issue you describe does not affect all machines, it has affected a small number of the Speed Triple RS, that said the ones affected were sorted under warranty, the quickshifter is not at fault and as Glyn Philips says the thread is about something different other than quickshifters. FZR162 is correct in what he says. I know this is digressing from the original post about the false neutral, however quickshifters appear to have dominated the issue, so here goes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with quickshifters persea, I've had them on a large variety of makes and models with no issues, my second Street Triple RS is silky smooth using the quickshifter/autoblipper, what is worth thinking about is the "rider mode" you have the bike selected in, as this alters the mapping and engine characteristics, just try it and see, say from rain mode to sport or track mode and you can noticeably feel the difference. Further food for thought take the TT for instance, 6 laps at speeds over 200 miles per hour in some sections, almost all the bikes have quickshifters and have no issues at all, Gaz Johnson riding a Daytona 675 to victory in the super sport race had a quickshifter, would those racing on arguably the toughest road race in the world risk a quickshifter failure, could you imagine going down Bray Hill at 180 miles an hour risking a false neutral, I don't think so. Used on the road as intended and they are great, it's like anything in life faults happen, be it cars bikes, white goods etc etc. Triumph took a customers bike back to the factory as the "false neutral" on the machine was intermittent, they did get to the route of the issue (look it up). This reply is not meant to sound controversial, however it's so easy to say "quickshifters are bad" it's just not so. Let's not forget how many test miles the bikes are put through and abused and then handed to the motorcycle press for further tests before full production. Ride safe all

• Like Like x 2
  12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I have Had 2 RS’s with the issue. The first bike had the issue and had the replacement part and it still destroyed my gearbox. The second RS had the new part as well and it still has the quickshifter issue. So please do not say That there were only a small amount of bikes that were affected and were fixed under warranty, because you don’t know what you are talking about.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Steve RS, well actually I do know what i am talking about believe it or not, however if you think you know more than the Factory Triumph Technicians then may I respectfully suggest you contact the Factory and inform them of the fact, if you have had such awful problems then why stick with the brand, look at how many bikes of that model have been sold against those with a gearbox issue, the percentages say otherwise than that of your opinion suggesting large numbers of faulty machines, also the original post was not about quickshifters at all, this has been already pointed out by another forum member (I did point that out in my post). It sounds to me like you have failed to reach a satisfactory conclusion with your Triumph dealer regarding your machine and that is very sad, however the facts remain, although I guess opinions are divided. Using an analogy and without being political, people are divided regarding the recent U.S. Election being a Fraud, however the facts prove this not to be the case, but some still believe it. Safe riding all. PS I have just had an e mail to say the Southern 100 Road Races are to go ahead in 2021, the dates are Tuesday the 12th July to Thursday the 15th, entries are expected to be very high, quickshifters on machines are ready to go, hope to see some of you at the meeting, also the Steam Packet Company will offer a full refund if by any chance the meeting is cancelled, but make sure when booking accommodation it offers a refund for cancellation of the races by the Manx Government as some do not.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Maybe it's your aggressive nature that "requires fixing", with an attitude and response like that I wonder why your issues were not resolved, this is a friendly forum not a place to rant with aggressive remarks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I would like to apologize to the forum for “some“ of the remarks I made to iceman. I should not have let inflammatory posts upset me like that. I was not having a good day and should not have replied at that time. Please except my apologies for acting out of character.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Steve RS, no problem at all, we are a friendly bunch on the forum, most of the time its light hearted banter, sorry to hear you had a bad day. Ride safe all.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I totally agree with you.

I would also point out that some of the posters on this thread do not appear to understand what the shift assist actually does. Like the guy who categorically states you cannot/should not change down without using the clutch. The shift assist enables up and down changes without using the clutch. The only time you have to use the clutch lever is when pulling away from a standing start or coming to a stop.

A quickshifter enables up changes without using the clutch by interrupting the ignition. But this is easily achievable on virtually any bike, it’s just a matter of having enough courage to master the technique. As soon as I’m in second on my 20+ year old Ducati I do not use the clutch for up changes.

An autoblipper will momentarily increase engine speed in preparation for meshing the cogs on a down change. I maybe wrong here but I think the bike has to have fly by wire in order to be capable of this.

The Triumph system combines both of these abilities. In day to day use I would recommend that you do use the clutch when moving between first and second, purely because the gearing differential between the two gears is so large. It will do it but not always silky smooth.

The only anomaly I have come across in respect of the gearbox/shift assist is when I had to come to a very rapid stop whilst in a high gear. Once stopped dabbing the gear lever down to get to first and then neutral could not be achieved without partially engaging the clutch to rotate the cogs. Obviously you would normally come down the gears as you come to a stop, but in emergency braking situations you just don’t have the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1