Test Rode An Speed Triple Rs Today - A Couple Of Questions.

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Dickie, Aug 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Current bike is a 2015 Speed Triple 1050 R, with Arrows, K&N Filter, & a Hilltop Map.

After a couple of test rides on a Superduke (1st wet, 2nd dry) I rode home from my second test & concluded I liked my current bike better. The bike handled better with the low centre of gravity & it was easier to move around on.
    So today I had a test ride on a new Speed Triple RS (standard plus the quick shifter). I wasn't expecting it to be much different but how wrong I was!!
    The RS felt far more lively, handled better, loved the dash, quick shifter was great (but...) all round much better than mine - I was very impressed at the difference. It was like a Street Triple with a big engine.

Two questions;

1. Halfway round the ride I shifted up. I'm trying to remember what happened but it was like a pause in the drive as I shifted & then in a second or two BANG!! the drive came back. My heart missed a beat. Scared me.
    I've just read the thread on 4th gear issues (quick shifter &/or gearbox) Is this what I experienced??

2. The only other thing I didn't like over my 2015 STR was the handlebars - RS felt narrower & a little further swept back.
    Can you see any reason why I couldn't fit a 2015 STR set of handlebars to the RS??

I was buzzing after the ride & spent the next hour or two looking for a used RS with a quick shifter. But now I've read the 4th gear thread may be I should be avoiding used RS's with a QS!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Unfortunately it sounds like you experienced the dreaded false neutral. If you buy one don’t get the quick shifter in my honest opinion, and I certainly wouldn’t buy a used one with a quick shifter because God only knows what has been going on with the bike. And if you buy new avoid the quick shifter option. I’m sure soon they’ll have it resolved but until then stay away from it. As far as the handlebars that shouldn’t be an issue. Check with the dealer they should know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    GET IT!!! But definitely do NOT get the quick shifter!
    I didn’t, and am lovin’ every Kilometer on it.
    Crashed my first one, but got a new one just like it. Love the ride, sound, torque, handling and looks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    So if I bought an RS & fitted a quick shifter (after market or dealer with modified linkage) I would be OK?

5. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Don’t know about the qs ..
    personally, using the bike 99% on the road and keeping problems in mind, I don’t see the added happiness factor in the qs. When all problems are sorted in the future, you can always add a qs, aftermarket or triumph original. Imho

6. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    My RS has nearly 4K now and 3K with shifter fitted. No problems at all. I had a blast across the moors yesterday and loved the shifter.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    No guarantee as I had a brand new gearbox with new quickshifter and new design linkage, and it still false neutraled. Stay the hell away from the quickshifter for now. Trust me.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    The quick shifter is one of the highlights of the speed rs as long as you use it as it is supposed to be used. This means plenty of revs on up shifts and completly shut the throttle on downs shifts and use with a reasonable amount of speed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Iv has no prob with mine..works as it should..bit off getting used to..but once you’ve got round how to use it best works a treat..

10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #10 Glyn Phillips, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    my 675r Daytona shifter was spot on.
    what revs were you shifting at?
    I always found above 9k they’re fine but below that you get a few inconsistencies.

11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Not to be disrespectful, but you need to get up to speed on this issue.

12. Englishbandit

Englishbandit Active Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    From my experience with quick shifters. I would never have one on a bike and would never buy a bike with one. They can destroy a gear box. I know a friend that has one fitted to his race bike ever year he needs a new gear box. And anyone I know that has had one fitted has had problems with them. Just my opinion. I am sure some people love them. But anyone that keeps a bike for a long time with one it normally ends up bad in the end. And if it does go wrong it’s not a cheap bill most of the time. If I was buying a brand new bike and trading it in every year then why not. But if keeping the bike no bloody way Would I want one

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    use the clutch on downshifting unless the bike has an autoblipper as well bud

14. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Iv just sat and read through the thread just now and I’m now actually a bit concerned as I have the mark and when I do think about it there has been times more than once that iv thought this isn’t right...I was putting down to the way I ride..but now I’m thinking different...been away for a while so not been on the forum for a bit..

15. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I’ve seriously never had an issue with a bike fitted with a QuickShifter, a lot of people have problems by misuse ie changing down without the clutch, they can’t do that.
    So don’t fear them enjoy them

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    I know several friends that race/track days and a lot of people in the trade and we all say good idea but not on a bike I own. Can not afford the repairs, and they do get miss used a lot

17. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    2EE3CE89-946A-47FB-836A-48CAD4DBCB41.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  18. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    675r two full seasons of racing and two engine refresh only replaced the detent wheel. No gearbox issues.
    I’m only putting Triumph here but no other gearbox issues on Suzuki, or Kawasaki racers either

19. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    The problemswith the new speed RS quickshifter/blipper not with quick shifters in general...there’s a thread on it in the speed forum...a lot off people getting probs with it..

20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Not to be disrespectful, but you need to get up to speed on this issue.
    That doesn’t mean there isn’t an issue with them, many of us are having serious problems to the point where Triumph is replacing our bikes. Please don’t give poor advice on an issue that you are fortunately not affected by.