Tents Moto Camping.

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by MoreT, Jun 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MoreT

MoreT Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Interested to see your opinions and tents used while out touring.

Gone are the days of my trusty NAAFI bivi that could wrap the sleeping bag/mat, cover with a black bin liner and strap to the bike. Happy days and many miles with that.

I spend enough time in hotels and B&Bs, both for work and if I'm travelling with the missus. She had some bad experiences with giant mozzies in her dim past so refuses to sleep under canvas. For me camping is still part of the freedom of the road, but I am erring towards more comfort as my bones get older.

My first tent was one of those Coleman ridge tents. It served me and my brother well, but got blown to rags on a trip to Snowdonia.

This blue thing, can't remember the make was useful in the desert. It kept out snakes and scorpions. (I had a couple of close call with Italian scorpions in the bivi). I didn't camp in Norway as we had a boat, and could convince herself to "camp" in that. Plus the mozzies in Norway are huge!

Most recently I bought a Vango Soul 200 as it was small enough packed to fit in my Givi bag. But I am too tall for it and touch cloth at both ends. I have used up to last year when camping out with my brother, but as he is registered blind now he cannot ride. I will donate the Vango to my niece for festivals.

I just bought a Eurohike Cairns 2 DLX Nightfall Tent for the upcoming trip. The new tent packs up larger but I'm hoping for a better nights sleep in it. I have packed all my camping gear into a waterproof holdall to throw over the pillion pad.

I really would love the Wingman Goose but cannot spring that much cash at the moment:
    https://wingmanoftheroad.com

What do you use?
    What do you consider when selecting a tent and camping gear?
    What do you think of the Goose?

c002.jpg

go_503089_a.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Bought a 2nd hand tent recently and tried it out but i soon realized that my body no longer likes sleeping in a tent! so i sold it. the one you have looks ideal for using when your away on the bike. years ago i bought one of those one touch tents and i was half way through my first can before my mates put theirs up. it was quite expensive at the time and it was a bit bigger when on the bike but i thought it was great

• Like Like x 2
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #3 Eldon, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    I have a few but bought a single skin French army one for about £40 off the bay for summer use. Four pegs and your nailed, two guys pegged, done ✔️
    There are additional guy points if you're expecting wind.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22448807...ar=523270289569&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Now I'm not suggesting for one minute this is an all seasons tent but for summer use is ideal. Being single skin the zips aren't waterproof, consequently I did have a river through the tent on Rannoch moor but that adds to the fun :p:blush: and it dries quickly being nylon so not really an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I use a Kyham biker, decent sleeping size and porch for storage and cooking should you need cover, suits my needs for rallies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Patriot

Patriot New Member

May 15, 2022
    Wisconsin
    Along the Platte River, waiting for the 2017 Solar eclipse.

61C3D924-CB0B-479E-B591-369B33383AB6.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Current bike , with tent I use in the background , pop-up two man camper , 3/4" inch foam mattress.
    To the right is my ruffing it weekender IMG_20200912_162350.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. MoreT

MoreT Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    ..with a garage no less

9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    When mine is "fully deployed " it has sleep out/kitchen on the right hand side and a huge 2•6 by 3•4 metres awning (garage?).
    Carries ?~100 kg in the 'tub' so all the cooking utensils and food ....

• Like Like x 3
  10. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!
    Subscriber

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Good to see you riding again @capt , what’s with the forward mounted battery?

12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I live in a very small country town, it's barely 600 or so metres from my house to the main Street !
    The std original battery , even with the regulator/ rectifier wired direct to the battery (boosts through put) didn't get enough time/charge.
    So two or three start's and it was flat !!
    So needed a bigger battery that would take/accept and hold the higher charging rates..! But std battery box (before lithium was available) wouldn't accept the size necessary... So moved it ! Made a bracket/hanger ! Problemo solvered !!

• Useful Useful x 1