Tents And Biking

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Chubzilla, Jun 27, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chubzilla

Chubzilla Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    Between spending a small fortune on the bike, not going on holiday and finally making the jump from my current employment of 20 years since school me and a friend have decided to go for a weekend ride out and camp somewhere around Snowden over night.

Does anyone else do this with limited space and what are the essentials as we will be riding most the day with all the kit on our super sports.

And also can anyone recommend a cheap 2/3/4 man tent that's pretty cheap, nothing fancy, something I realised is if it's 2 man it needs a porch for helmets and bag, 3 man they can stay inside then tent.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I have camped on the bike on and off for a few years and my tents are ancient so can't recommend, but what you take will depend a lot on how you are going to feed yourself.

Basics are tent, decent roll mat and sleeping bag, washbag and towel. This is already more than you really want to carry on a sports bike.

If you're going to eat out all the time there's no need to take cooking gear, but remember you'll need to get breakfast stuff as well as evening meal etc. If you're cooking for yourself then you'll need a small gas stove, pot, knife, plates, cups, etc.

Right now finding camp sites with availability is not easy and a few are expensive. Much as it might seem like a cop out, it might be worth looking for availability at a travelodge/Premier Inn etc.

We were looking at camping on South Wales a couple of weeks ago, and what camping was available was over £30 a night where the Premier Inn in Cardiff Bay was £37 a night

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chubzilla

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    Hahaha yea carrying anything more than a wallet and it's getting too much.

I did suggest a hotel as it made sense to me but he wants to camp which I'm fine with as done it for years, just wish it was on this bike lol. I'll mention the prices.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chubzilla

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    To be honest I'm not bothered by the rain/shower etc but I can get it would make it not as pleasurable, the idea will be better than the actual experience I'm sure of it but at the same time it's an experience I suppose . I've put forward the hotel idea, I actually enjoy hostels so that would be a bonus for me.

We have anything, it would just be the tent and painkillers

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Shame Glastonbury is cancelled again, there's always tons of free tents left over.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chubzilla

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    I used to go global gathering and I couldn't believe how many were just left there, such a waste.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Vango do some decent inexpensive gear. I paid a bit under 100 quid for a Tempest 200 2 man, nice porch, easy to pitch. Quite a few to choose from, the more technical stuff may be better for biking because of low bulk, but some of their other stuff could suit your purpose equally well. ISTR they did one with like a tunnel through the middle, might get your bike under cover too :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    #10 Aaron Brown, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    https://wingmanoftheroad.com

Not cheap, but it is the perfect motorcycle tent, in my opinion. Everything I need, all in one bundle, fully waterproofed, and very, very, very durable.

• Like Like x 5
  10. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014

I am told that Aldi are doing a three man tent for less than £40 maybe a good cheap start to see if you like camping. Eat out, except for breakfast I just take some nuts and fruit and a bottle of water.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chubzilla

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Chubzilla

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    I do rate vango, I used to have one orlf their air tents which I liked

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chubzilla

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    That is an amazing set up, ashame it's not 2 man but even then too pricey for my current situation, I saw the 2 man toucan but realistaclly that would just fit my manly figure

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chubzilla

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    Now that sounds more up my street, cheap and cheerful for now and if 3 man can keep helmets down the side, will take a look

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chubzilla

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    I'm guessing this would do the trick for some wild camping but you know some drunk dickhead would come over pissing about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I used to love camping but no one else I know now wants to and I just never get to camp any more. Got most of the gear in the loft.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chubzilla

Oct 3, 2020
    Black country
    You tend to get alot over the years, I've also got most of it but only 1 and 2 man tents I have are pop ups.

I've always loved camping but always been over prepared which you don't really get that luxery on a bike

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Looks great for Texas or SoCal - not sure about North Wales!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    YMMV, for sure :)

I would point out, though, that it's made in Britain, by Brits. I had to import it across the pond to get it here to Texas.

Also, on YouTube you'll find there are many happy users of this thing from very cold and wet climates (far northern EU countries included).

• Agree Agree x 1