Tec Announcement

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TriBriBon, Mar 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TriBriBon

TriBriBon Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    UK
    TEC Email Release.

Thought this may be of interest to some Water Cooled owners.

Firstly, we would like to say thanks to everyone for being so patien regarding news on the cams we were hoping to produce. A lot of you have been excitedly waiting for any further news about them so that makes it all the harder for us to have to say that we have decided to finish all development on them. We are sorry that it has ended up with this situation but we will explain briefly why we have done so and hopefully you will understand how we have reached this difficult decision.

In 2017 we had figured out the restricting factor on the new Triumph models and were working behind the scenes to bring a product to market that would bypass this and unleash the true potential of these bikes. We put a video up on our YouTube channel explaining this and our plans for a new camshaft. We were recommended to use a well-known UK cam manufacturer and initially placed an order for 100 cams.

We had been promised that the work would only take 6 weeks so went ahead and began planning for thorough testing of the part and quality control regime for the part. We gave our customers a release date that was generous in comparison to what we had been quoted for the production time. Unfortunately these dates were missed on production repeatedly and we had to keep pushing things back. When we got the final sample of the cam that was to be released there were a number of manufacturing errors on the cam that meant it was impossible to fit.

This meant they had to be returned and we were set back another few weeks. We eventually got the adjusted cams back but once we tried to fit them we found there were still a number of errors with the cams. This meant that they did not pass our quality control and may have caused damage to engines.

With a part that needs to be so precisely engineered we were no longer happy to proceed with this manufacturer as we had lost confidence in them producing an accurate enough part. We would never want to sell something to our customers that we knew could jeopardise their bikes and potentially cause thousands of pounds in damage.

We have been unable to get realistic quotes from other UK cam manufacturers. We are reluctant to use a overseas manufacturer considering the issues we have had so far. We have racked our brains but cannot see a way to make it work. Coupled with the fact that we have not got a clear idea of how the cams will effect your warranties meant that we have decided that we are going to stop development of this part.

We were happy to release the information out into the public domain. We have put almost a years work into this project and have not ended it lightly and hope this information is of use to you.

Again, we are sorry that this is the outcome, we hate to disappoint our customers but hope you can see why we could not proceed with this project.

upload_2018-3-22_17-39-25.png

2. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Will save on a lot of damaged engines anyway:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    To me, that sounds like an announcement coming from a company that wants to do "the right thing" by their customers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    What not sell something that will wreck their customers engines:D:D:D:D
    I'll get my coat....... sorry TBL, TeC is like my phobia of TB's

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I know mate - they will never be able to satisfy/please you, which is a shame, but shit happens.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Yes dead right they were fined over after market mods I think in California

Its why TEC wont sell such as the X pipe into those markets

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Allan StreetTwin

Allan StreetTwin New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Wiltshire
    I am confused.
    I spoke to George Milburn this week and he says replacement for the restricted 900cc Cam is ready for despatch.
    Also said my 2017 Street Twin had later modification and replacement for that should be in stock by autumn.
    Do I dump a bike that won't accelerate past 80mph before insurance is due and buy a Yamaha or wait and see what happens

8. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Forget the Cam...... Get a YAM;););)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    TEC have announced that their cams for the water cooled 900 bikes are back on: see email below:

The cams are back on! Please read full email for info on how to get one
    We had previously announced that we were ending the development on the cams for some of the new water-cooled Triumph models. We always hoped to be able to get the product out to our loyal customers but we were receiving such a huge number of enquiries on a daily basis about the cams that it was hindering us from getting our work done. Without knowing when they would be ready we could only give rough deadlines for their completion which meant frustration all round when these deadlines were missed. As such, we decided to put an official pause to the development until we were sure they were 100% ready.

After a lot more R&D into the cams we have now got a batch that are fully tested and ready to sell. We have tested them in our own bikes and are extremely pleased with the performance they are putting out. After thorough quality testing there have been no issues caused in any of the bikes.

The cams are manufactured in the UK and will have a full manufacturer backed warranty. We will also be releasing a video showing how to install the cam.

This batch of cams will only fit WATER-COOLED 900cc models of the T100, Street Twin & Street Cup manufactured in 2015/2016. It will NOT fit any other models or years. We are going to be making a cam for the later water-cooled models including the Street Scrambler later in the year. We have a camshaft in development now for the 1200cc motors and is in the later stages of testing at the moment. These will be ready later this year, we will be making a big announcement when they are ready. If you are signed up to our mailing list, Facebook or Instagram you will not miss it.
    Our first batch of cams are ready for sale
    The cams are going to be sold for £360 including VAT. They will be sent via next day courier to UK, and courier to the rest of the world at our standard post rates.

Part of our research has lead us to find that this current batch of cams will only fit bikes with certain VIN numbers. The only bikes they will fit is certain bikes manufactured in 2015/2016.

The first batch of cams we have is very strictly limited in number. In order for it to be a fair distribution we have decided to sell them in a slightly different way. Please read the following instructions very carefully if you wish to buy one as it will be the ONLY way to get one. Please do not try phoning or emailing separately as we will not be selling them any other way than the below method. Please also read all of the below FAQs.

They will be sold on a first come first served basis. The way to register your interest will be to respond to the next email that we send out. Do NOT reply to this email about it, this will NOT count for entry. If you are not signed up to our mailing list then please click here to sign up.

The email will be sent on Tuesday 12th June at 18:00 6pm GMT. This will be automated by our mailing list operator so it may not be at the exact second. Have your VIN number ready and just respond to the email as soon as it arrives with your VIN number, bike model & year. You only need to send your VIN number with the model & year of your bike.

Again, the only models and years this cam will fit is 2015/2016 water-cooled 900cc T100, Street Twin & Street Cup. Do not bother emailing if you have any other year or model as it will not be entered as the cam will not fit.

The first responses with valid VIN numbers will receive an email from us about purchasing until we have sold out. If you miss any of the required information your entry will be ignored. We will be organising payment through PayPal invoicing. This means you can pay with PayPal or any major credit/debit card.

If you receive no response you have been unlucky or your VIN number is not valid for our cam, sorry about this.

Cams will be limited to 1 per order.

Good luck with your entry and we will announce via another email when we have another batch ready. This will be how future cams are sold so please watch for our emails. We will not be selling them directly via email or phone enquiries. Please make sure you are on the mailing list if you wish to find out updates about the cams and our other new parts. Click here to sign up to our mailing list if you have not already.

FAQs

1. With the cam fitted will the bike still comply to Euro 4?

Yes, we have designed the cam with a small valve overlap and high torque characteristics. This means if it is fitted with no other changes it will comply with Euro 4 emissions.

2. Will I lose any low revs power or torque?

No, the cam is designed to retain low revs power and the big difference is after 3750 RPM. It has no drop off in power like the stock cam.

3. Can I install just the cam without doing anything else to the bike?

Yes, you will gain around 10 BHP if you install the cam only.

4. Do I need to remove the cat-converter?

No, the cat can stay in place and the cam timing will not warm it.

5. Do I need to remap the bike?

No, if installing the cam only there is no need to remap the bike.

6. What other mods can I do to get more power?

You can:

Remove the exhaust cat
    Replace the silencers or exhaust system
    Fit a high flow air filter
    Install a performance ECU map
    Install a power commander
    Other tuning devices

7. When will the other cams be available?

Around Summer/Autumn 2018. We will be announcing when they are ready so we just ask that you are patient and wait for the announcement.

11. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    And you have to enter the "cam lottery" to even get one...... how strange

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Camtastic ! :laughing:

• Like Like x 1