Tank Knee Pad Glue Recommendation

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Andy-K2, Oct 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Guys.

Looking for advice on what glue to use to fit the tank knee pads on my Bonneville as the ones I have bought have had the OEM glue removed.

I have in my tool box some two pack glue but that will be an overkill, at least they will never move again but I know this will not be an acceptable fix :) So what do you guys recommend.

If you have links, that will be most helpful, at least I know what tin to look for as Im a rubbish shopper :)
    Thank you
    Andy

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Tiger seal or a uk equivalent ( windscreen sealer )

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Wow that was quick, Thank you Nigel.

4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    As above. Tiger seal is a PU (polyeurophane) sealant like windscreen sealant. Just get some unbranded from eBay but try to find a second job for it as it goes off down the tube if left. It'll take 24 hrs to cure but it what's used for nearly everything in the motor body industry

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    And don't get it on your hands or anything else you might want to ever be clean again :joy::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    #6 Andy-K2, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Thanks for your recommendations guys and sorry for the delay in my reply. Been really busy in the garden and suffering for doing it.

Thanks again.
    Andy

7. Greg Fyans

Greg Fyans Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Glasgow
    Hey guys, first bike owner here so apologies for the newbie questions.

My tank pads are beginning to come off, the adhesive is just completely gone and although they're still stuck in some places it's only a matter of time.

Tiger seal sounds like it'll work, but are there any downsides? For example, will I be able to remove the pads - this isn't going to stick like superglue - and does it leave any residue that will be hard to clean off? If it does leave residue, what are you using to clean it off without damaging the paint? What I don't want to happen is I remove the pads (say I'm selling it or trading it in) and I potentially cause damage trying to get the pads and adhesive off.

Again, if these are silly questions just say, but I'm new to bikes and I don't want to make any stupid mistakes.

8. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    These tank pads are causing me some issues too. I have tried a quality double sided tape, this did not work. I have tried a tape used for sticking reg plates on, this has not worked. I have used Tiger Seal and it ended up a really messy job so cleaned that stuff off using petrol. I have just ordered some 3M tape to try so will give that a go when it arrives if not I will give the Tiger Seal another go. this will be tried again this week as I need my Bike the end of the week. I’ll let you know.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    On my Rocket- I used Gorilla flex glue, available B&Q it worked.

10. Greg Fyans

Greg Fyans Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Glasgow
    Cheers guys, was looking at 3m tape as well so I'd be keen to hear how you fair with that, Andy.

I'll look into gorilla glue as well. Sounds like it's a bit of trial and error depending on the pads you have (mines are tech spec snake skins).

• Like Like x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Put my tank pads on with 3M tape - been OK for over a year now.

12. miniman68

miniman68 New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    east yorks
    i used the double sided number plate/ body mouldings tape by 3m to do mine , works fine not fallen off yet .

13. milligan

milligan Member

May 24, 2017
    n.e. lincs
    used double sided gorrila tape clear

14. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Same here - been stuck on this bike now for 6 months.:mask::mask:

15. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I used this 3M double sided tape. It’s the same stuff used to mount body trim on auto exteriors. The tape is a dark grey with a removable red backing. It was a bit fiddly but I first cut sections to go all the way around the pad, then trimmed them down very close to the edge of the pad with a razor knife. Cleaned the tank of any residue including wax, and mine have not moved a bit.

82B0B3D0-75E4-4FC0-B757-6B1C82C6280B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1