Talking By Skype Between Several Riders?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Tallaferro, Mar 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tallaferro

Tallaferro Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Catalonia
    Hi,

We are planning a 2 days route with other 2 friends. So far, we have one of these cheap devices that allows Bluetooth connection to our mobiles and talk between only 2 riders. Better ones for multy-rider connection are expensive (over 200 €).

We are wondering if we could just set a Skype call between we 3, connect our phones to the helmet hands-free and keep it for long period of time (hours...)

Data consumption of 8 hrs./call (just voice) by Skype is very small, so I am more worried about stability of the connection or if speed affects that.

Did any of you try this? Does it work? Make sense?

Thxs!

2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Never tried this, interesting idea though. Would be good to know how you get on with it......

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    I've tried whatapp calls while riding and its a bit flaky, no auto reconnect after a few tries. Just depends on how well the signal in the area is and how good your speakers and phone battery are...ive got a cheap bluetooth and works well connecting to a mate..

4. PriestyUK

PriestyUK New Member

May 20, 2019
    Dorset
    I would use the teamspeak app, we used to use it back in our gaming days, you can get servers cheap depending on how many slots you need (There are even free ones). You can create rooms so to speak, which you can join for privacy etc, all comms are voice activated which you can fine tune. I would think teamspeak would be a better setup than skype for chat like this whilst riding ;)

• Useful Useful x 1