Tales Of Woe, 2018 Rs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by John Kemp, Apr 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Kemp

John Kemp New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Manchester
    Guys.. I feel i have to share the hell of the 10 months I have had since taking my new Triple RS.

The bike is currently at the dealers awaiting a replacement TFT screen, which I am being told should fix this issue once and for all - but in truth, I am ready for replacing the bike.

In 10months I have only actually used the bike for 5 of them - the rest of the time (winter) its been locked up on Optimate in a heated garage.

During the first 5 months of ownership it was recovered by triumph assist three times, in the dealer twice - each time with the same issue. The bike wont wake up - DRL comes on, but TFT stays off. The final time of last years riding saw the RAC man get it going (after tinkering with the battery and his battery booster) - and I managed to get in a whole 10ish miles... however since then its been dead... again.

Bike collected Saturday morning, taken to dealer... Returned that afternoon after "fixing the fault"...
    Bike broken again the very next day.... Picked up AGAIN and returned to dealer
    They are now swapping my TFT and saying this will fix it..

However - can you blame me for having ZERO confidence in this?

I think its time to get rid - as I want to enjoy my biking through summer, without the daily worry of "will it start"

2. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    #2 RSReggie, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Hi John, sound like a nightmare ! BUT it looks like the main problem you had may have been the dealer not just replacing what needed to be replaced . If that was done in the beginning you may have had 9 months trouble free ! Always difficult with intermittent issues but really the dealer should have made sure it was sorted for you. These are great bikes once sorted and if you went for, say and S1000R etc. , they have had their issues too . I like my S3 RS .

But am going to test ride the Speed twin as I am very curious having read the reviews.
    Not too keen on retro style but the power delivery and torque figures sound great for UK road riding. I don't have many other bikes I would consider to be as good as the modern Triumphs
    Having said that my teething troubles were sorted within a week or so from delivery so a far better ownership experience than you have had !!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Hi John, I know how you're feeling, I had a Multistrada that went back to the dealers about 10 times in the two years I kept it. As soon as the warranty ran out I got rid and went back to Triumph (I'd had several before without issue).
    Unfortunately when you get a duffer it ruins the experience, most times is just luck of the draw, no consolation though.: unamused:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    Really sorry to hear about your bike. I wrote about my saga with a faulty remote keyfob sensor that took two months to get fixed. I would hope that Triumph dealers in the UK would be able to get parts quicker, etc. I love the bike so I have put the two months behind me. But it still irks me that features that are peripheral to the best features of the Speed Triple (engine, setup, etc.) sidelined my bike (and your bike).

Fingers crossed they fix it soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Kemp

John Kemp New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Manchester
    New TFT screen being fitted today.. will see if that fixes!

6. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    #6 Stue007, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Thumbs up! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Good luck ! Hopefully you will get to reliably enjoy the weather :sun:

8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The expression is "thumbs up" I.e. good luck and all will be well. :p

9. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    Hehe, yeah - have to learn proper English...! :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    How's it going now? You all sorted mate?