Tale Of Woe -- Keyless Ignition On S. Triple Rs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Fitz Brundage, Dec 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I tested mine and it had to be within about 1 cm3 to actually work !

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I guess I should test my spare keys. I actually like the keyless idea. Many times I’ve geared up after stopping and then have to search for my keys in all my pockets, so for me I like it. Sorry to hear about all the trouble you’ve had though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    That's a real shame to hear about your woes and full marks for you sharing your experiences to alert the rest of us .... I have to say that whilst my car is keyless I do at least have 2 keyless fobs with it .... for the bike it seemed more like a novelty to me and as suggested in your thread "a solution to a problem that didn't really exist ?!" .. I only took delivery of my RS last Friday so I'm off to check the spare keys ..... Out of interest and maybe a dumb question .... but , when you go touring what's the deal then ? Do you have to take a spare physical key along in case of fob failure ? Cheers mate

4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    And that's where Triumph (& Ducati) have dropped the ball (IMO)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Had a couple years of that on the Multistrada, drove me mad, but at least Ducati offered an option accessory of keyless filler cap (at vast expense and questionable reliability - with no manual override, other than Allen key to remove).
    Something Triumph should address properly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Suppose keyless avoids the risk of keys being snatched at traffic lights leaving you to either push your bike home or trying to hide so you can come back with a spare set only for the bike to have been nicked using the stolen keys

7. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Bikes (and cars I guess) have to much unnecessary gadgets.
    The more they have, the less likely I am to change my bike. Safety features are good abs etc.
    But I don't need keyless ignition, cornering lights, rider modes, electronic suspension, tyre (tire for our USA friends)sensors, coffee percolator?
    When these bike are out of warranty and go tits up, imagine the bill ££££££
    Also the riding experience is more involving, the less interference you have.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading

But, at one time, your bike was the modern fandangled thing with all the gizmos.......:rolleyes::D

9. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Agreed...if the smart key is flat, it will (ahem...should!) work in the same way as the spare 'passive' keys. In other words hold the smart key against the underseat tray. I took the battery out of mine and tried it successfully.

I've gone keyless fuel cap too (Oberon), so the key goes and stays in my pocket. When filling up, I turn the ignition off to kill the engine, then immediately back on to standby. This prevents the Triumph alarm from automatically arming itself...which would require the alarm fob attached to my key fob to deactivate it. Ugh.

I like keyless (now I've tamed it)...but can't help thinking that the little slot that you could keep your key in, was actually quite useful : unamused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    I was inspired by your post on this and ended up ordering an Oberon myself. I like keeping the key in my pocket, always. So, now I have these weekend tasks:
    1. Install Oberon gas cap
    2. Install Garmin Zumo 595LM
    3. Test keys actually work ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Nice work - I bet you can't wait for the weekend :yum

The hardest thing about the Oberon cap, is choosing a colour (color ;)) combination - what did you go for?

Oberon have a stand next month at the London ExCeL Motorcycle show...I have tickets and a low temptation threshold o_O.

I was wondering if this has gone off-topic - but I guess anything that helps the keyless is a good thing. Here's mine:

2018-11-24 12.17.23.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    All in the name of keyless, I think it is right on topic! Love the look. I went with the same color so it wouldn't stand out too much and scream <hey open me I don't have a key!>

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Does the cap hinge up or completely remove?

14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Oh, and I tested the spare keys and they work.

15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    It unscrews and is removed - which means that you have to make sure you don't drop and damage it.

Ironically, I found myself popping it into a pocket...just like reaching for the key. Doh! :confounded:

• Funny Funny x 6
  16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Paint a silver bit on it that looks like a key slot :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    I put my gloves on the bars and set the cap on top of them.

18. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    Update: Functioning passive keys have now arrived from the UK at the local dealer. BUT none of the new keys -- passive or active -- match the lock on my seat or the gas cap (which isn't a problem 'cause I removed the stock gas cap and added a keyless Oberon cap). Triumph has yet to figure out how I can get the new keys to open the seat compartment 'cause the key cut is special and no local locksmiths can perform the work.

I suspect the long and short of it is that I will have an active key and passive keys that will operate the motorcycle but will need to keep the old, otherwise useless passive key handy in order to open the seat compartment.

The tragi-comedy now is at 49 days. Perhaps this weekend I will get my bike back along with a jangle of keys of various degrees of utility.

19. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Dang, dude, what a pain, sorry about this.

20. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    I sincerely appreciate all of the words of sympathy I have received. For what it is worth, I recommend that everyone not only make sure that their passive keys work but that they also carry a passive key either in their wallet, on their keychain, or somewhere hidden on the bike. Otherwise, you are truly up a creek without a paddle!

21. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    It's weapons-grade tragi-comedy - biased towards the tragi side. Truly hard to believe it could even happen.

Have you looked at swapping the blade across from the old Active key...to make at least one fully functioning 'daily' key? It's hinged...so I guess it will come apart (I'm already wincing at the thought of breaking something that you then need to get replaced).

22. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    [Interesting suggestion. I'll consider it. I don't need to get under the seat that often and I don't need the key now to add fuel. So if I can just get the damn thing running I'll be happy!