Take A Minute To Read

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kin Ton Ti, Feb 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kin Ton Ti

Kin Ton Ti Supreme Galactic Commander

Jan 5, 2019
    Virginia
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Interesting read, I was a bit shocked at the statement "the odds of being a victim of violent crime is considerably less than one in a hundred on any given year" I find that statistic difficult to get my head around, maybe I'm not understanding it ,do you mean out of say less than 100 people one of them will suffer from a violent crime?

3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I always told my kids that when the choice presents itself NEVER be a sheep. ALWAYS act the goat! Former sheepdog.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Kin Ton Ti

Jan 5, 2019
    Virginia
    I’m not sure I understand your point. I don’t know of anyone who can dial 911 and not get a cop to arrive at their door. Additionally, if an American or an allied troop is in trouble in a deployed environment, I don’t know of any of our service members who wouldn’t risk their lives to save them. But, I’ll readily admit that no politicians will.

5. Kin Ton Ti

Jan 5, 2019
    Virginia
    #5 Kin Ton Ti, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    I’m throwing down the bullshit flag on the 911 thing. Maybe Alaska, where the cop has to fly there, or Wyoming where someone lives 100 miles from civilization. If you’re in any way referring to poor minority neighborhoods in the U.S., they get more police coverage than anyone.

I think we do a pretty good job of responding to all the evildoers worldwide. Do we really need to go into examples? I feel pretty confident if the Brits, the Aussies, the Canadians or any other of our allies find themselves in a tight spot, we will be there. I’ve been deployed, flown on a British helicopter, lived a few feet away from the Polish compound and had Afghans living with me in the same places. I haven’t been there, but I have friends who have been to Haiti and Somalia to try helping those societies, and I’m pretty sure those citizens needed the help. If you’re asking if I’m personally going to abandon my family and my country to help out the Communists or radical Islamists terrorize a society, then yeah, it only applies to allies and those who don’t wish to destroy me or my home. My analogy with the toast, is realizing that there are others out there who have written the same check, but pray daily that God doesn’t have to cash it. If you’re a veteran, you’ve written the same check. The way you live your life after military or law enforcement service, is a personal decision.

I don’t see the sheepdog role as solely collective, nor do I see it as a privileged status. The choice screws with your head and sometimes kills people. Look at the veteran and police suicide rate. It’s an individual decision. When I retire, I’ll still look out for the sheep, just in a reduced capacity, but my heart will be the same. I’m 53 years old mate, I’m no kid who needs guidance. Trust me, I’ve seen a thing or two.

I can see that I'm not around like minded people, and life is stressful enough without constant conflict in a place that's supposed to be about my favorite hobby. So with that, I wish you all well and I won't be back. Enjoy Triumph motorcycles, be safe and keep on ridin'!

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Americans often struggle with the British sense of humour. We are irreverent, a bit anarchical (we can afford to be in our generally highly stable society) love word play and innuendo (try Shakespeare) but most of all enjoy taking the piss out of one another at the everyday absurdity of life and our part in. Our flag has been burnt longer and in more places than Old Glory so we are pretty de-sensitised to it. We stick by our friends and the best compliment we pay is to take the piss out of them too......even the French!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

As DD says, your complaint that this is a bike forum, for bikers to talk about bikes, and you start a political thread ???

Don't let the door hit you on the way out:expressionless:

Or trip over when you get off your soapbox.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1