Featured T595 Complete Rebuild (okay, Maybe Not "complete Rebuild")

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Jugg, Sep 21, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    The odometer shows 25k but the engine has been apart in the past at some point so honestly I have no idea

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    Not got a lot of progress done with actually cleaning anything yet, got the crankcase back together and blanked most of it off ready to blast and paint it. Started making up a wee plate to bolt on the cylinder and seal with a bit of rubber to stop any crap getting inside when blast it.
    20211007_221602.jpg 20211007_221640.jpg
    New crank, rods and bearings are in the post so will inspect that when it arrives and hopefully it's all good.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    Got my engine casing back from blasting ready to strip down for masking off to paint and realised as I was stripping it that I missed a hole when I blanked it all up. There is a heap of grit inside so going to need a serious clean before I paint and start putting it back together. Was going to have to clean internals anyway but didn't expect to be as bad as it is. You live and you learn I suppose. At least it looks good!:laughing: 20211018_212603.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    You said earlier , you didn't understand why only one crankshaft bearing went bad. Modern engine's are high flow (volume) not high pressure. So that gummed up oil pick up would be the cause ! The bearing with the tightest fit and lowest flow let go. The oil that stopped flowing through that point allowed enough to get through and maintain the others ?!?!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    Ah I didn't realise they were high flow and not high pressure, I guess thinking about it now it makes a lot of sense as the oil galleries feeding the mains are about 8-10mm i/d, I imagine higher pressure would be a tighter gallery. Thanks for your input pal, much appreciated, kinda learning as I go here:joy:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I believe the triumph bonneville range of motors have TWO OIL PUMPS !
    One Hi pressure and one hi flow , possible reason , One pumps oil to the Cams in the top of the cylinder head and over the gears and the Hi pressure to the mains ? or possibly both go the same route but hi flow gets oil to fill the galleries as soon as !!! and hi presure makes it flow through as engine speeds rise ??

Not sure which but both have plausibility ?? Getting a manual soon , will see what it says ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    Back at it again tonight for a bit, removed the rest of the gubbins from the crank case. Will replace all the bearings as they all feel a bit crappy with the ingress of the grit.

20211027_205505.jpg

Haven't totally decided what to do for painting it yet, don't know whether to go balls to the wall and do it myself with rattle cans or try to find someone who will do it and not charge through the nose.

Anyone had any experience painting engine blocks? Was going to etch primer it then top coat with engine enamel, anybody any thoughts on that? The etch primer doesn't specifically state the temp it's good to and can't really find any that have a temp rating so a bit unsure?

• Like Like x 3
  8. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Have you thought about Cerakote ceramic coating? It seems to work on pretty much all metal bike parts. It gives a thin layer and therefore shows more detail of the metal surface. It's heat resistant up to some ridiculously high temp. and comes in a huge range of colours. It's tougher than paint or powder coat. I have no idea what it would cost you but I asked for a quote for a complete 4-1 exhaust. It was £100 including pick and delivery. I was happy with that, it saved me the time to prep, undercoat and spray paint, which would inevitably chip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    I did think about it but didn't really give it much research. Do you remember where you got it done? Would be interested to get a quote. How did your exhaust hold up? Has the cerakote lasted well?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    I ran my old T5 low on oil and over revved it and spun a rod bearing. Engine was showing 24k. Found a 12k lump for £400 and swapped over on a Saturday. Loved my old T595.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I checked back and it looks like I got the price wrong :rolleyes:. It was £195 not £100. Sorry about that. If you're still interested the company is called Wicked Coatings, in Poole, Dorset www.wickedcoatings.co.uk.
    The exhaust is still looking good. No chips or discolouration and cleans up well when it gets mucky. I'm glad I went for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    New bearings ordered for the sprag clutch, balance shaft and the gear selector drum.
    20211104_125719.jpg
    Still need to get going with painting the engine casings, just waiting till I can spend a bit of time at it and get it all primed in one sitting

20211104_125719.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    Got the engine casings primered and painted, just need to wait for them to cure properly, probably take a minute with the weather being so cold just now so see how it goes, hopefully can start some kind of assembly by the weekend only issue I had was the magnesium clutch cover bubbled in a few places after I sprayed the enamel on, other than that I'm very happy with the finish. Hopefully it stays on once the engine warms up 20211115_214642.jpg 20211115_214648.jpg 20211115_214603.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  14. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    Been lacking with updates but the paint has cured and been able to start rebuilding. Crank, pistons, rods, balance shaft, sprag clutch are all in the top half of the casing and just tonight finished rebuilding the gear selector drum and gearbox after much fiddling and double checking everything. Not far from putting the halves back together! 20211213_182620.jpg 20211213_223355.jpg 20211213_223343.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    Just looking at the photos and realised I will have to put the gearbox into the top half to put the halves together!! Oops! Ah well at least it's just a lift out job, was just checking to make sure it worked:rolleyes:o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    After building the bottom and top halves I put them together and torqued them all down, everything was all good and spinning until I went to fit the neutral switch and I couldn't seem to get the gearbox to be in neutral and sit on the switch. I came to the conclusion that I had built the selector drum wrong so I have been putting off stripping the whole engine since mid December and not looked at it..... fast forward till tonight when I went out to strip the engine only to double check it and realise I was wrong and for some reason thought the neutral was between 5th and 6th. I now feel very foolish and have wasted over a month of build time :joy: onto the head next
    IMG-20220127-WA0030.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Don't feel foolish :) i would call that a result :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Agreed, great job so far!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    Finally got some free time from work and got the block finished off apart from a few gaskets but will worry about that later. Just need to clear the bench and can start working on the head, hopefully don't have much work to do there but will check everythings within spec and clean, will update with pics soon. Desperate to get the bike finished before fine weather starts again

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jugg

Jugg Senior Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Aberdeen
    Checked the valves to see if any are passing by putting wd40 down the ports against closed valves and one of the exhaust valves is leaking a bit so think I'll strip the head all down and re lap the valves
    20220215_215719.jpg 20220215_215745.jpg

• Like Like x 3