T160 Chop to Bobber Project.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Tricky-Dicky, Jan 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Couple of update pics with the forks, bars and tank, also added a bit of a detail panel to where the sprung seat goes, doing the same with the gusset panels at the head stock.

Please excuse the bloom on the tank, it has a couple more coats to go yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Looking cool mate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Thanks guys!:) doing the wiring at the moment, my only worry is that i need to convert the RITA ignition system to negative earth because i fitted an LED light unit and don't want to have to run a dual system and use relays etc with the little room i have in the electrics box, also got to re foam and recover the seats before i can think about heaving it outside for its first start.....i hope.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Getting a little closer:D just all the fettling and checking...and the few bits that are proving a PITA!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Thats looking great well done :D Should be ready for when the weather gets a little more predictable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Sorry its been a long time since I posted any updates, got the T160 all finished with a few problems along the way like quick engine rebuild with new mains, new oil pump and a new clutch, what a pain they are to set up right, but anyway I managed to get to a couple of minor events, and finished with the Fenman classic bike show.
    Still not over happy with the brakes, and it still smokes a little, should have rebored it when I had the engine down, but its OK, for now, hope to get out a little more this year, anyway here are a couple of pics of the finished bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Now that..... I LIKE :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Looks great, looks wicked, great work thanks for the pictures :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Youv'e made a great job,your'e friend would be proud of you

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    :eek: even not black?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spinup

Spinup New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Torbay
    GREAT JOB, well done:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Gotta be real honest here, hope you don’t mind?
    Chops are not hugely my bag and the pink thing of your friends that you took over was the personification of why I don’t like them.
    But much to my surprise, you done an excellent job and created a unique beast that’ll sit in any line of bikes with confidence. It still not 100% my taste, but then it is 100% not my bike. The biggest change I’d make it’s the headlight, position and appearance... but that’s just my taste! You’ve done a great job, I admire anyone with the time and skills to do such work...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Everyone is different, it would be boring if we where not, I personally dislike modern homogenised bikes, I much prefer something that has been personalised by the owner, and even then these days its all bolt on,

its a shame that the days of customising/building bikes are declining and the skills needed seem to be a thing of the past in this instant gratification world.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Just an update after living with the wooden back brake due to the 3/4" Harley MC i finally got hold of anther old AP Lockheed caliper made a double bracket and fitted it...its now much more responsive due to having a much better ratio so now it actually works, did put up a couple of adds for it but it may be priced a bit too high, probably because i am not all that interested in getting rid of it , but i think by next year i will be looking at getting something newer with rear suspension.;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Its now back in the room in the house it was built in...sharing with the cat for the winter,
    left it in the shed and it suffered from too much alloy corrosion due to the
    condensation formed from constant temp changes, so saving myself a lot of cleaning come spring.

• Like Like x 3
  16. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    That's probably a better option if available to you use it. (so long as the cat dont use it as a scratching post :eek: )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Trick-Dicky.
    Fantastic.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Thanks Joe, trouble is when its in the house i keep thinking of what i could change/improve currently resisting the urge to get a fat front wheel laced up to try, but due to the roads and mine and the misses backs on a hard tail i am still thinking it might be prudent to move it on and get something i will actually ride more than a couple of hundred miles next summer, but i would miss it terribly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tricky-Dicky.
    Its a 160 so worth its weight. In my humble opinion best classic ever made and if they had sorted the electrics out I feel it would have given the Japs a run for their money. You are a useful chap why not softtail it. Just out of curiousity does the engine and frame number match adding value to the machine. You did mention a little oil burning. But to my knowledge they all did a smidge on start up was just a trait with them and kept that cylinder and start up working well. Wish I had the funds to tempt you with.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    If i had the facilities to pipe bend and jig it i would make a softail, but
    i don't really want to tear it all down again anyway so i guess i will just have to
    decide next year what way to go.
    Yeah it does burn a little oil but only noticeable on hot start and idle, i suspect its manly down to not re-boring it and the fact that the oil rings may have lost some tension, should have just thrown some new ring in, but its not a big job too replace if i feel the need.

• Like Like x 2