T120v Dismantle Ignition

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Francis Charters, Sep 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Francis Charters

Francis Charters New Member

Sep 24, 2021
    UK
    Hi All,

I have a T120V just in from the USA with no ignition key. I have found I can buy a new key ignition unit but it is much cheaper to just buy the barrel and keys.

My problem is how do I remove the old barrel from the unit so I can fit a new one?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Frank

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #2 speedrattle, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    with some of those you have to insert the key, turn it, and then poke a wire through a hole to free up the cylinder. im not sure about yours, but its a general procedure.

can you pick the lock? most of these older key locks are pretty easy to turn with a couple of basic picks.

take the switch off so you can see all around the housing. once you get the cylinder to rotate, you can poke a wire down a hole to depress a plunger in teh cylinder that holds the cylinder in the housing. the plunger will not line up with the hole unless the cylinder is rotated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Francis Charters

Sep 24, 2021
    UK
    Thank you for that.

Sadly, I do not have the key but I will try the wire down the hole trick. Also there is not a hole in the housing.

All the best

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    #4 joe mc donald, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Francis Charters.
    If your lock has some numbers on it it's likely to be the key number. Second choice is send the lock to someone like 1st Metro key Locksmiths and they will find you a key. Just did the same with my executive luggage which has the same lock as the steering lock. Or gently drill it out a little bit at a time save futtering. Welcome to the family by the way.
    Joe

5. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    or take the whole thing to a locksmith and say, make me a key

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Francis Charters

Sep 24, 2021
    UK
    Thanks for your replies. I will check out your suggestions.

All the best

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Francis Charters
    Hope you get sorted. And you know a complete new lock isn't all that expensive.
    Joe.

8. Francis Charters

Sep 24, 2021
    UK
    Yes, I might just go for that. I think a lock smith will charge more than the cost of a new unit. all the best