T120 Tubless Rims.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by bentango, Jun 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    I had a few sleepless nights after I ordered them :worried: but very glad I did!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Damn.

Those wheels are beautiful. I sorta hate you for making me want them :)

When your wallet recovers from this brilliant episode, I’d highly recommend the Brembo upgrade. See attached pic for how it looks on my 2018. You would have the ultimate modern Bonneville. :cool:

A10325AF-7B63-4F5A-9732-1A7CBD4BD151.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  3. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Yeah that looks nice, bet it makes a hell of a difference. I was already looking at the discs. Do you have a link for the callipers / discs?

4. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    if finances permit may as well put a better disc on your new wheel. T-100's floaters are a popular economical option + being a bit thinner are lighter as well. i went with a front EBC disc as the stock thickness lasts longer + theres NO squeal without the "rubber" backer used from 18 on

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Good point, there's nowhere to put the rubber backer, if they start squealing I'll change them, if not I'll wait till the piggy bank is looking a bit healthier :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    the backer is NOT needed with better rotors. check the old + long posts about rotors + you will see removal of the stock ones along with NO rubbers eliminate the squealing. rubbers used from 18 on work with OE pads to quiet things

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA

Yeah, the brakes from the factory are actually pretty good considering that they were built to a price. But these Brembos suck the front end down onto the road like Teflon onto a pan. :cool:

I got mine from Canyon Motorcycles in LA. Link: https://www.canyonmotorcycles.com/p...triumph-bonneville-t120-calipers-rotors-340mm

Free Spirits has the same kit (I believe it comes from them) so whichever works for you. There are both gold and titanium colored calipers; I went with the titanium but in hindsight would have been happy with gold, too.

And... I might have to get me a set of those Kineo wheels. They are choice. :yum Not to mention fifteen pounds lighter than stock? That is a difference that even a hack like me could feel.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    i put a pair of EBC rotors on that helped a bit. i agree that stock is decent, BUT a single 6 piston caliper with an EBC rotor stopped my slightly lighter air cooled 2012, that is after i upgraded to bitubo cartridges to control the excessive dive!! that kit is nice but $$$$

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    I've got the Bitubo cartridges arriving today, I may have a go at fitting them myself but if I get stuck I'll just drop the forks down to the local bike shop. Looks like the weather is turning to s**t over here for the next week so I'll have plenty of time to get it done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    you get the kit with TWO cartridges? install on the air cooled bonnie was not bad with air gun or a good battery impact would prolly do, searching will reveal some tips for sure

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Yes I got the kit with two cartridges, I've done a bit of reading and the only problem I can see is getting the allen bolt out the bottom of the fork. If I fail I have somewhere I can take the forks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    good choice! as noted a typical air gun used for tyre changes + a long enough but smaller allen bolt socket, good battery unit prolly work but air tools are cheaper as long as you have a compressor. after forks are removed it should be quick for a pro, but DIY is fun + CHEEP

• Like Like x 3
  13. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Fitted them this afternoon, I had no trouble with the bottom bolts, they came out with a ratchet. Took me an hour longer than it should have as I somehow managed to get the cartridges in the wrong fork legs :(, so it all got a bit messy and I ruined a pair of jeans with fork oil :mad: but it's all sorted now. Took it round the block and it started to rain and it looks like it's in for the week now so any decent test will have to wait.

IMG_1077.jpeg IMG_1078.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  14. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    glad it went well! i would have thought both cartridges would be the same, i will remember to note that if-when i get the kit

• Like Like x 2
  15. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Yes take note, they look identical but will only fit each to it's intended leg, that should teach me to read instructions more carefully :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  16. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    we are all guilty of that at times! if all else fails "read the directions!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Always a last resort, I prefer to f*** things up first and then reach for the instructions...it's a bloke thing, makes things more interesting :worried:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1