T120 Loud Noise Under Braking

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Mach1, Apr 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA

2. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA
    Got an email from someone at Triumph USA requesting a phone number he could use to have a chat with me . I expect it's in response to numerous messages I have sent to them , my dealer , and Triumph UK. I will pass along anything worthwhile.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Steve Coope

Steve Coope New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Burntwood, Staffs
    Good to know that at last they are working on a solution. Mine have squealed from day 3 of ownership and really gets on my nerves. Hopefully, soon to be a thing of the past.

4. nowyoutellme

nowyoutellme New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    #64 nowyoutellme, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    US rider here....News of this promised fix hasnt reached the other Triumph forums, and my dealer in Kansas City has "never heard of it before"...but I am patiently awaiting a call from them now....thanks for the relay and work of those involved here...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Leo

Leo New Member

May 23, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Took my bike in for it's second recall last week to fit a new throttle spacer (first recall was something to do with the fuel pump I think?). The dealer told me that Triumph hadn't yet contacted them about any possible brake mod. I'd suggest that anyone who experiences this noise problem registers their details with their dealer ASAP to ensure you get a recall when the mod is released. My worry is the second part of their reply earlier in the link: "We will then request that they contact their customers who have raised this concern with them so that we can affect the repair." In other words if you don't register your concern now they may never contact you, or they might say that you should have contacted your dealer earlier (although hopefully this is unlikely).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ASH883

ASH883 New Member

Oct 1, 2016
    County Durham
    Just an observation but if there is no problem why has the T100 got floating discs fitted

7. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA

8. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA
    Started out with brake noise 90% of the time . Just passed 1500 miles and hearing it only 10% of the time . I have hopes that the problem will be self correcting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    After nearly a year the squealing had all but stopped on my T120, but after new pads all round, here we go again every time I touch the front brake :-(

10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    What type of pads have you fitted Pasher ?

11. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    I asked the dealer to change them whilst it was in for a service so I ended up with the stock Triumph one's. Maybe I ought to have saved a few quid and fitted EBC ones myself!!

12. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    No probs with my new T100 (700m in).But the front brake on my Harley sounds like a lorry coming to a stop,it dont affect it's braking ability so i'm gonna leave it as i quite like it,after all it is a Harley and they're supposed to be noisy HaHa.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    If it is so bad, I would be tempted to get a set of EBC pads and change them.
    You can always keep,the OEM pads as spare, not that you are likely to ever re-fit them.
    Before you do, just try some good quality brake cleaner on the disc and see if that helps.

14. Leo

Leo New Member

May 23, 2017
    Eastbourne

Mine have been ok since I gently cleaned the discs with fine 'wet or dry' paper, but really shouldn't have to do this at all on a near £10K bike! Hopefully we'll hear something positive from Triumph soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Leo

Leo New Member

May 23, 2017
    Eastbourne

Wonder when Triumph are going to announce the 'fix' as it's been several months now.

16. Mach1

Mach1 Member

May 10, 2015
    London
    The last email that I had from Triumph was on the 20th July.

"I'm afraid I do not have a current update for you, I hope to have news for you in the not to distant future."

17. Leo

Leo New Member

May 23, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Thanks Mach1. I've decided to get the EBC pads fitted which I had put off in the hope that Triumph would come up with a permanent fix. I'll update later to report if the pad change makes any difference.

18. Mach1

Mach1 Member

May 10, 2015
    London
    There seem to be varying experiences with the EBC pads. Some people swear by them, I tried & they were terrible so I've gone back to OEM.

Worth a go but don't bin the old ones until you're happy with them!

19. Leo

Leo New Member

May 23, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Thanks for the warning. Sounds to me like Triumph need to pull their finger out on this one.

20. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Mark each pad when you remove them so you can put them back where they came from if you need to because the wear is different in each position and replacing them in the wrong order could mean needing to bed the pads in again with reduced brake efficiency till its done.

• Agree Agree x 1