T120 Loud Noise Under Braking

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Mach1, Apr 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA
    I also cannot live with either Triumph's cavalier attitude , or the humiliation each time that horrendous sound comes from my bike at a stoplight. Can you say " class action suit " ?!

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Don't know what to advise then if everything's been cleaned and copper greased.
    I've done about 2k miles on my Bonnie since fitting EBC HH pads back and front and have had no issues.
    No issues with the OEM pads either.

3. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA
    Please post the email address where I can state my case .

4. Mach1

Mach1 Member

May 10, 2015
    London
    I sent my mail to <[email protected]>. Maybe if enough people mail them they might take notice.

I also pointed them in the direction of this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA

6. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA
    I just chimed in with an email as well . Thank you .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Serle

Serle New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    S.Wales
    Hi all.

I have just covered 2.5k miles on my T120 (all stock pads with no interference from me) and firstly noticed a slight squeal when rolling backwards. This is starting to get worse, but I have not (yet) had any noise when going forwards.

I was wondering if the problem may be resolved with the use of floating disks? My theory being that it there is resonance being sent into the hub from the braking surfaces then would this not be in-part interrupted by the floating disc?

Would they be as aesthetically pleasing as the existing solid disc?
    Clearly an expensive experiment it it doesnt work

8. Mach1

Mach1 Member

May 10, 2015
    London
    Just recieved this from Triumph....

"Thank you for your email.

As per your email I can confirm that Triumph are aware of the issue you are reporting, and I can also confirm that we are working on a resolution to eliminate the noise in operation.

The components necessary to resolve this issue are just going through the final testing before sign off, as soon as they are available we will inform the dealers who in turn will contact the affected customers, and the work will be carried out at the earliest opportunity.

I apologise on behalf of the company for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you, and I hope that despite this minor setback, that you will continue to enjoy riding your T120."

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA

10. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA
    That is great news !

• Like Like x 1
  11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Good to see they care, hopefully wont be too long, in the meantime do a search for the thread "best earplugs ever!!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA

• Like Like x 1
  13. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA
    Let's hope that earplugs isn't the solution Triumph is working on .:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Well good for Triumph ......and there was me thinking only Yamaha built tuning forks.

23C4C58A-A328-4DBC-BA52-B049552922C6-3421-0000038895E7800C.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Leo

Leo New Member

May 23, 2017
    Eastbourne
    This is good news as I was going to get EBC pads fitted tomorrow on my day off, but had to cancel the fitting this morning as I've been asked to work tomorrow. I had re-arranged for 2 weeks time, but will now wait until Triumph's official 'fix'.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mach1

Mach1 Member

May 10, 2015
    London
    Quick update. I went back to Triumph and asked how we would know when the repair would be available, they answered....

"We will either release a technical news to the dealers, or send them a notice giving details of the repair. We will then request that they contact their customers who have raised this concern with them so that we can affect the repair.".

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Mach1

Mach1 Member

May 10, 2015
    London
    I then asked if there was a rough timescale...

"I'm afraid I cannot give an exact time scale, once the resolution has been signed we will have to get the necessary components manufactured before they will be available, I'm sure it won't be long."

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Well I must admit that is a pretty standard answer following a complaint that requires remedial action.
    No good implementing a fix with all the associated costs if it does not fully solve the problem.
    Thorough testing will be required before Triumph feel confident enough to release the rectification.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA

20. Irv wander

Irv wander New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Bradley Beach USA
    That awful noise will be a little bit easier to take knowing that a fix in the works . The initial position they took in their May 9th letter to dealers made me absolutely sick .

• Agree Agree x 1