T100 Vs T120

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by tranx, Jul 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    I have just done 800 miles on my T100. After Street Triple 765 had been too impractical and uncomfortable I came to it by doing demo rides on street twin, T120, and eventually street scrambler.

Street twin seemed smooth and comfy, except for cramp in the thigh due to knee bend being too much. T120 was more spacious and felt more substantial because of its bigger tank but handling seemed too bouncy and vague compared to the street twin, which happened to have the very expensive Fox rear shocks on it.

In retrospect it is not clear why I exchanged the ST for a T100 rather than T120 when I wanted the centrestand, but in the event that seemed to be comfortable and steered more honestly than T120, although I may have been indoctrinated by reviews which referred to this, and hints about differences in frame geopmetry too.

As a loan bike for the 'first service' the Street scrambler felt lighter and had more shock-proof (better?) suspension than T100 but was not much quicker and, pour moi, had less presence and substance.

Now nearly run in, the T100 already has progressive TEC front fork springs, which help soften the stiff front end, and a comfortable modded seat, with CBR400RR seat inserted.

It goes round corners beautifully and serves to plonk along in all the 30/40 limits in 3rd/4th - nice. In 5th at 60 it also still feels nice and smooth but, for motorways, Triumph 'Longhaul' screen was worse than useless because it just increased helmet buffetting, even with a marginal improvement from the add-on deflector which was recommended at first.

They are still ignoring my request for a refund on the Triumph screen as 'not fit for purpose' and a clear Madstad 22" screen https://madstad.com/collections/triumph/products/bonneville-t100-2017-up with matching 'lower deflectors' are 'held' or, perhaps better, "held up", in customs. High hopes there though...

Meanwhile I can overtake briskly in 50mph traffic when I can occasionally soon get to 80 to get past a couple of cars in one go, while 5th seems like an overdrive because there's not much left but serves well for 70 on the motorway, albeit with a little less smoothness.

I too prefer the handling of T100 over the example of T120 which I tried, but may have been brainwashed by the accounts of this, and am not disappointed by the T100 performance, at least for my purposes. The single front brake feels quite spongey but stops the bike ok

The T100 now sounds a bit anaemic, while initially T120 sounded even more 'pfff', and am considereing further investment in more musical exhaust systems/silencers.

What do you guys think about T100 vs. T120 and about exhaust mods for Bonnevilles?

2. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Central Iowa, USA
    I have a 2017 T100. I really like it. I did the cat delete with a Motone X-pipe and put on British Customs Shorty Predator pipes. Overall MPG improved a little and the bike seems more lively. I really can't say I miss anything about not having a T120. They are essentially the same bike except for displacement, one gear, and a disc up front. None of which seems to be all that important to me. But each person is different and that is why I applaud the choices we have. I still run mine naked... no screen whatsoever. I live rural so I do a lot more two lane highway stuff than city and still really don't miss a screen.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    Agree that it's fine without a screen but my scooter's tall screen was a revellation. On some occasions that is a great luxury and the Madstad screen apparently has a quick release mechanism.

Interesting about the x-pipe and Predator pipes thanks.

4. Simon P

Simon P Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2018
    New Zealand
    I have about 5,000km on my 2018 T100: wanted the T120 but couldn’t really justify almost 1/3 additional price at the time. Mostly ride it for commuting, part in traffic and part motorway. (Have a Speed Triple for the weekend blast)

Tried 2 Dart screens and prefer no screen, the buffeting drove me nuts - maybe it depends on height, I’m about 5’8”.

Fitted Motone x pipe, it runs smoother at low revs and sounds better without being too loud. Fitting is a fiddle but I enjoy twirling spanners in the man cave, recommend everyone should do that. I’ve also added centre stand and heated grips.

I’m still torn whether I should trade to T120 because brakes are a bit average and top end is limited, but on the upside I haven’t got a speeding ticket in 10 months commuting and I can use the Speedie if I feel the need. She starts on the button, never had an issue, uses almost no gas and looks great with a quick clean and polish.

If I do upgrade it would be for the confidence of better brakes and the knowledge that sometimes you need some extra shove just to get out of a situation.

I haven’t tried the Speed Twin yet, that might just be both my bikes in one, but that’s another story altogether.

Maybe it’s the human condition to always want the next best?

• Like Like x 4
  5. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    Too right ;), still for me the T100 has more than enough go, so for the next novelty I am in the process of swapping a Honda SH 125i scooter for a Royal Enfield Bullet Electra G5, which looks nice and should be properly old fashioned where the T100 is not.

The R.E. will do for popping down to the shops instead and will probably be slower than the scooter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Out of curiosity, is the T100 a Street twin engine and frame with T120 bits or a T120 frame etc with a Street Twin engine?

7. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    I think T100 has a T120 frame, which gives a taller seat height and a bit less knee-bend, with the Street Twin engine from before its most recent engine changes. Not sure if the rake/trail/wheelbase are the same as T120 though.

8. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    #8 Cupoftea, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    I own a T120. I think the comments here are pretty justifiable.
    Yes the T120 is pricey, and it struggles to corner sometimes. But you get around that easily by adapting a different riding stratagy.
    I give the bars a negative push and she drops into corners easily.
    The best thing is the power. There, when you need it and can also cruise at slow speeds easily. I think the extras on this bike is justifying the price difference but that's just an opinion.

IMG_20190705_160837.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    I’ve just been working my way around the test bikes at my local dealers (Webb’s of Peterborough). I liked the original Street Twin, and I like the new one. I’m less enamoured with the Speed Twin.

I’m thinking of one last new bike to take me into semi-retirement, and it’s a choice between the Street and the T100.

10. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    491C13BD-B2F1-4B8E-8F56-9504F5A18977.jpeg 491C13BD-B2F1-4B8E-8F56-9504F5A18977.jpeg I have a 2016 Street Twin and am happy with the bike but I wish it was 20KG lighter, I have fitted a centre stand, fender extender and a rear rack/grab rail for the missus to hold on to, I have also fitted TEC progressive fork springs and 28mm handlebar risers, also a TEC Monday type filler cap and mirror arm extenders to the standard mirrors, I am pleased with all the mods I’ve done, but by far the best was to junk the original Pirelli tyres and fitted Avon Storm XM’s, now the bike is just how I wanted it.

CF683668-A4B9-4B95-B2C7-FCE8E9BBC8A4.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    That is a beauty!

• Like Like x 1
  12. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Err, so you want it to be lighter, but have added 5-6kg of accessories to it? ;):D

13. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    I’d say that a Street Twin with a luggage rack and centre stand, was about as close as you can get to a Meriden Triumph...

14. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    If I hadn’t added those accessories, I wouldn’t be able to use the bike, simples.

15. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Central Iowa, USA
    The only thing I have left to do on my T100 is luggage. Have had to deal with backorder goofiness with a set of Burly Brand throw over Saddle Bags, but they are supposedly coming in at the end of the month. The Motone X-pipe, Shorty Predator pipes, and the Booster Plug really brought out the beast on my T100.

IMG_7901.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  16. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Re the screen: my 2nd hand Tiger 800 had a Triumph tall screen fitted when I bought it, and it was truly horrible for my height (5' 9" and shrinking - was taller than my wife, now same height). Head buffeting could give me a headache. Bought a Madstad and never looked back - I often forget to put my visor down. It's so smooth at all speeds now.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    Still haven't fitted the Madstad screen but that's good news Jock

18. Jerican68

Jerican68 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC
    Now, I’m far from an expert but this is what happened when I was trying out the bikes, about 2 years ago now,

I started with the street twin. Nice bike, but hated the seat and felt like I was slipping forward all the time. Easily rectified in hindsight with a new seat I suppose. Next was the T100, again I thought it was a nice, smooth ride, more comfortable and a nice delivery of power.

Then I tried the T120 that they had just had back in part ex after a year, poor bloke passed away. Anyway, I took it out and it was like night and day for me. Smoother, more refined, more power, the difference, to me, was big. Two years later and lots of mods I still love it every time I get on it.

• Like Like x 5
  19. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    Good stuff Jerican. I now have Royal Enfield Electra 500 EFI deluxe as well as T100. After removing the screen and making a few adjustments the Enfield has a miles softer comfier seat, and suspension soaks up the bumps much better. On tight bends and roundabouts it is also a lot lighter and more nimble than T100 - very little vibration as it plonks along, gradually incrementing speed up to a comfy 50-55 and nice on the way, before the whole-body vibro massage sets in at 60. Remarkably similar to pre/post war 500's like Ariel or BSA and not far behind an average/poor Rudge/Velocette in top speed if you have the fillings and hard heartedness for it. In the handbook 'don't exceed 70' and it's certainly 'not about speed' but really is something different.

enfield 1.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  20. Jerican68

Jerican68 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC
    Still lots to do but getting there.

7486A43C-902B-4B2C-91AC-396D11C5EB60.jpeg

• Like Like x 4