T100 Replacement Tyres

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Mel Townend, Mar 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mel Townend

Mel Townend New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Norfolk
    Looking to change the awful Phantoms on my 2017 T100 at 1600 miles...

Who else has changed them early and what did you replace them with ?

Any recommendations ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I have a Street Twin. A lot of people seem to dislike the stock Pirelli Phantom tires. But I don't find them bad. After all it's a Bonnie, not a sport bike.

But a few past posts seem to favor the Avon Storm 3D X-M. I have 4,500 miles on my original tires. But when it comes time to replace I might try the Avon's. Seems to be a popular tire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Central Iowa, USA
    #3 Mad Cow, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Yeah, I have to travel a couple of miles of gravel road to get the nearest highway. I live rural and lots of twisties on the hard roads in my area. I really find no problem with the stock tires on my 2017 T100. I might try something different next go around but not certain on what yet. Really haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it.

My concern this last week was de-catting the bike with a Motone x-pipe, installing a set of British Customs Shorty predator pipes, and installing a Booster Plug. Finished up last night. Really woke the bike up. Far greater performance and it really holds a conversation going down the road.

IMG_7900.jpeg

IMG_7901.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I found the stock Phantoms on my Street Twin tracked every rut and banding in the road. A number of Street Twin owners I know have reported the same, and all who like me have switched to the Avon 3D Storm find they transformed the bike for the better.

The Phantoms might perform better on the T100, but if you're not happy I'd certainly recommend trying Avon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Mel Towend
    Hello. You will probably find that as the roads warm up your tyres will be fine. But I change all my bike to Avon's. Purley as they are made and tested here give great live span and yes were designed for the Bonnie's.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SPC1

SPC1 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2019
    UK
    Changed the dreadful Phantoms for Avons and I can confirm they are 100% better.
    No more white lining, really nice turn in and improved high speed stability.
    They should be fitted as standard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I run the original Phantoms on my 2018 T100, never had a problem with them. The OE suspension on the other hand was fit only for the bin. Not sure how you can give a thorough assessment on handling when the mechanisms keeping the tyres on the tarmac are little more than bargain basement parts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SPC1

SPC1 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2019
    UK
    Flashp..
    Custom wound progressive rate front springs, fork oil grade and level, Bitubo rider matched fully adjustable rear shocks, accurately set ride heights, shortened wheelbase, Avon tyres.
    The tyres were the last thing I changed.
    That's how I can give an accurate assessment.
    Have a nice time with your Pirelli's !!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    You won’t regret that decision!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Not sure how I was supposed to know from your earlier post that you'd addressed your issues as thoroughly. Plenty of people decide they have a problem because others believe that they do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SPC1

SPC1 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2019
    UK
    I'm afraid you don't have much knowledge of what makes a motorcycle handle well. Geometry is the most important factor (Triumph have got that right) and on smooth roads, which is where most people will ride hard provided the spring ratings are correct the suspension has little effect at road type speeds. Good, progressive suspension helps on uneven surfaces by keeping wheel contact under control and gives a better ride quality.
    The standard Triumph set up isn't junk as you describe, it is very adequate for normal riding, although the T100 does have an inferior front fork ,the T120 uses an internal cartridge type as opposed to a drilled tube on the T100 and works much more progressively and can be revalved to alter the damping rate ( I have done this as well).
    Tyres however will have an effect regardless. An unsuitable type will inevitably have a detrimental effect on the overall handling, the Pirelli is not well suited to the Bonneville.
    Also I make my own decisions as to what is correct for my motorcycles and if something works I am happy to pass that knowledge on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I wasn't going to say that you're a little snippy but you clearly are.
    So Triumph got the geometry right but you saw fit to shorten the wheelbase?

13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Spc might be riding his bike very hard indeed , so shorter wheel base would give him very sharp quick and responsive turn in and he would be able to change direction from L to R or vice versa much quicker than on std ... ?

14. SPC1

SPC1 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2019
    UK
    Flashp...Capt is correct, shortening the wheelbase (in this case 15mm) will just make the turn in quicker but have no effect on the actual geometry.
    As for being snippy...it was you who told me I didn't know what I was talking about!!
    Ps. I do have some idea of what I am talking about, I was a European test rider for a major manufacturer for 9 years.

15. Mel Townend

Mel Townend New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Norfolk
    Went for Avon Roadriders AM26 in the end.....an instant improvement....

• Like Like x 2
  16. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    Interesting to find that the T100 and T120 have different forks.

I spent £200-odd on Ricor Intiminator cartridge emulators for my 1992 Sportster, plus Hagon springs and the change was obvious and immediate.

17. browned off

browned off Member

Jun 22, 2017
    wirral
    Tried metzeler lazer tecs they were worse,now have avon storms change is beyond belief.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. RobH

RobH Member

May 2, 2019
    Dunstable
    I am picking up a 2017 T120 on Saturday from Wellingborough Triumph, 8500 miles on the clock. Spoke with them yesterday, they told me they have replaced the front tyre as it was less than 3mm tread. Very kind of them. They haven't replaced the rear tyre. I do not know what tyre they have put on the front. I don't know if these are original tyres.
    Two questions:
    (1) Would it be sensible to replace the rear tyre as well? my thinking being why would one tyre wear more than the other, perhaps the rear has 3.5mm tread left and so does not meet their replacement criteria, I do not know this.
    (2) How long would one "run in" the new tyre before I practice my Rossi like cornering skills :rolleyes::poop:

Sage and sound advice sought from the great and good on here. Or anyone else who wants to offer an opinion. The author reserves the right to ignore all such advice and decide his own fate :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  19. RobH

RobH Member

May 2, 2019
    Dunstable
    Going round corners and stopping is certainly a good two thirds of the requirement. I should say however I have spent 15 years on a Harley, so both of those concepts are a bit alien to me.:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. RobH

RobH Member

May 2, 2019
    Dunstable
    >>>
    I have copied this post into the Tyre thread, now I have realized there is such a thing. Newby's eh! tut :neutral:

• Like Like x 1