T100 Intermittent Vibration/juddering?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by kpsmithdeut, Mar 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kpsmithdeut

kpsmithdeut New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Canada
    Howdy all,

Hoping you fine folks can do some sleuthing for me and help me understand the problem I'm having.

When I'm riding my new-to-me 2010 T100 which I've had for a few months I'll occasionally feel some significant and disconcerting vibration or juddering in the foot pegs, typically the right foot peg, when I'm releasing the clutch as I accelerate from a stop. The juddering is the worst as I begin to release the clutch lever and progressively lessens the more I let the lever out. This happens maybe 1 in 10 times I take off from a stop and it's happened in a few other situations, all involving clutch operation at low speeds. When I feel it happening, I'll typically speed up my release of the clutch lever to try and power through this juddering zone. The problem never presents when I'm changing gears at higher speeds, just starting speed in first gear. I also don't hear any noticeable noise accompanying the juddering, I only feel it through the pegs.

I've looked around for users with similar issues. Closest matching descriptions are of "clutch chatter" which sounds like it was a problem with the early 00s Bonnies. I've also seen others suggest chain slack, worn sprockets, or a loose front sprocket nut for similarly described issues but I imagine these problems would present more consistent symptoms. I'm also pretty sure I'm not describing the "snatchy throttle" I'm seeing as common to our modern lean-running emissions-friendly Bonnevilles.

What's going on here? Anyone familiar with this issue? I'm fully ready to accept this is somehow an input error on my part since it only happens 2-3 times a ride and the motorcycle is relatively new to me. However the worry that something is wrong or I'm doing some damage to the bike when I experience this juddering is significantly decreasing my enjoyment from the machine.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate anyone taking the time to read that essay. Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Sounds like something I had on my 2009 America , didn't notice it until I rebuilt the motor ! I put a big bore kit in a couple of year's ago now. Went up to 905cc and did some tuning ! When I started to ride it afterwards I noticed similar to your symptoms ! I had some clutch slip going on too! (to much power!) So I put new heavier clutch springs in ! It was as I reassembled the clutch that I found the cause !!! The assembly process has to be strictly adhered too ! The clutch basket HAS to be carefully tightened up and the four fasteners must be tensioned in such a way as too pull it all together without the basket moving out of alignment !!! It can easily rock out of square !! It was during this assembly ( took many attempts) I realized it mustn't have been 'Quite True' from the factory ! It is now fine and has never done it since , it will only cost you the price of a new gasket $30 odd Aust $ here and a few hour's of your time , if you don't get it right first go !!
    The assembly process in it's most basic , you start each fastener and pull them down "Evenly" so you go from top left to bottom right and then opposite two ! But here's the kicker ! It must be equal rotation's of each !!
    There are YouTube videos showing the process !

Good luck it's not to hard just Touchy !!

cheers capt

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kpsmithdeut

kpsmithdeut New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks for the response capt! Appreciate your thoughts here.

Been out riding a few times in the last week and I can definitely reduce the frequency of this juddering/vibration by paying super close attention to my clutch control but at least once a ride I'm still getting it.

If it's a matter of adjusting my current clutch is it worth it to just put in a new one entirely? Picked the bike up with 42 km on it and to my knowledge it still has the factory clutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    My America now has 133,000 klms and still original clutch (excepting the springs) and all good ! I've done around 30/40 thousand towing ... !
    So replacing the whole clutch might be bit uncalled for.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. kpsmithdeut

kpsmithdeut New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Canada
    Okay! Thanks again for the input!

For an update, looks like I might have solved it just by tightening up the chain. I had measured it previously as on the loose side though within tolerance but I’ve gone about two weeks since tightening her up and haven’t experienced the issue again.

I’m not 100% ready to call it solved as I can’t believe a slightly too-loose chain would cause the horrible clattering, juddering I was experiencing but here we are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    #6 capt, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    I do , seen chains cause all sorts of noise , vibration and even handling issues .

cheers capt

As I'd estimate I have done more than 1/2 million km on seven or eight Bikes over 38 years :);)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Check the chain tension (slack as per the manual) as per the manual and especially for tight spots. If that doesn't cure it try the clutch.

I purchased a Honda a few years ago that had been standing for some time. A tight spot in the chain caused these symptoms.

• Like Like x 1