Switched Power Wiring Diagram For Tiger 850 Sport?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ian Champ, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Ian Champ

Ian Champ Member

Sep 28, 2023
    Hadleigh, Suffolk
    Hi all.
    Trying to find a switched power connection on my ’21 Tiger 850 Sport, basically required for some accessories (front and rear dash cams, auxiliary lights etc.)
    Has anyone any information please?
    Cheers
    Ian

2. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    If you have so many connections required, maybe a Thunderbox from Healtech would be better?

3. Ian Champ

Ian Champ Member

Sep 28, 2023
    Hadleigh, Suffolk
    Thanks Bolosun!
    Why didn’t I think about that solution before???:( (Don’t answer that).
    Ordered a 16A unit with a USB connection. Life will be so much easier now!:sun:

• Like Like x 1
  4. FezUSA

FezUSA Member

Sep 1, 2023
    OH, USA
    I'm thinking of adding a Thunderbox to my new TS660. It's one of the few PDM's that not only says you don't have to connect a wire to a switched source, but they actually recommend for auto mode that you don't. Most other PDM's require you to connect their PDM to a switched source so that they only provide power once the ignition is on; but it seems like the Thunderbox (in auto mode) only connects to the positive and negative of the battery and still only provides power after the bike is running. Not entirely sure how they're doing that, maybe monitoring the battery and when an ignition event occurs the box senses a significant voltage/current draw that triggers it to power on? They do have a 3rd "control" wire that can be connected to a switched source if necessary (and also to a negative terminal during winter to put it in "off" mode?).

If you regularly use a trickle charger it should not trigger the Thunderbox, but you need to check it in case it does. Winter storage chargers should connect the control wire per their instructions.

Alternatives to the Thunderbox are the Eastern Beaver units, Denali, Fuzeblock, Rowe PDM60, PowerHub2 etc. Each have their pro's and con's.

5. Ian Champ

Ian Champ Member

Sep 28, 2023
    Hadleigh, Suffolk
    Installed the ThunderBox today in a few minutes. The unit fired up and worked first time - very impressive. Unfortunately running wires through the Tiger framework to keep them invisible took all day…!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1