Featured Sweets' Desert Sled Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Sweets, May 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sweets

Sweets Well-Known Member

May 15, 2019
    Bristol
    #41 Sweets, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Still making a few tweaks.
    I wanted some older looking grips, and the brown of the seat was looking a bit lonely, as it is not matched anywhere else, so decided to make something up using leather. About £8 on 3mm thick offcuts from Ebay, a stitching punch set from the same and some waxed thread and needles locally (plus some Youtube stitching tutorials) got me these
    Throttle side
    [​IMG]

Clutch side
    [​IMG]

The spacer ring on the inside is just a strip of leather bonded on using contact adhesive, and I have built up the grips using kiddy craft foam to be the same size as each other. They're much mor comfy to hold than the OEM ones. The "aging" is just having a go at the leather with sandpaper.

Here is a pic of the original McQueen desert sled I was following, showing just how shonky his grips were (and how scuffed the tank paint is)

[​IMG]
    (pic from Silodrome)
    D

• Like Like x 8
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

The grips look cool mate :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sweets

Sweets Well-Known Member

May 15, 2019
    Bristol
    The most recent modification, done this last week prior to its first ride of the post-lockdown apocalyptic reality.
    The minor addition of some vent holes (speed holes, drillium, whatever you wish to call them) to the sump guard.

[​IMG]

It was nice to get her out of the garage for a while at least, for an essential journey you understand.
    Dave

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sweets
    Firstly welcome to the family. Thanks for sharing that terrific build with the inmates here in the asylum. Truly is a fantastic steed so personal so unique.
    Regards & Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1