Swap As A Set?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Big Sandy, Feb 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Having read the responses I am going to put a 205x16 off the Land Rover on the back......:D (I like the look of that pic by @MrOrange)

Joking aside I thinks it's going to be a matched set.... Now to open a new can of worms. I wonder what I'll fit? :rolleyes:

Still like the metzelers, but the pirellis that are on seem decent enough.

Thanks all for the replies so far.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

:laughing::joy::laughing::joy::sob:

Are they of the Angel GT variety ?

upload_2019-2-27_14-9-50.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    That would be they. Seem like a friendly tyre.... Not a bit like the Kumho m&s on the Landy ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

They have been around for a few years, and maybe not as good as the latest rubber, but they are still really good tyres that ride nice wet and dry. Recent reviews seem to agree, not the latest greatest, but still a brilliant tyre.

Had I not got a new pair of Michelin on the Tuono when I got it, I was all set to fit the Angel GT's.

But I understand if you want Metzeler's, hear good things about the Roadtec 01's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I can do mate but I think it's been pretty well covered on both fronts. If you're looking at like for like then different manufacturers and even different tyre models have very different profiles and can easily throw the handling of your bike out, so you don't need to be anything other than a normal rider to feel it.
    If you then add in sports vs sports tourers with both profiles and feel then it will only exacerbate the problem.
    I just didn't really feel the need to quantify my disagreeing with your statement, but now you have it :):)

6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    But why?

7. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Hypocrite :heart_eyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Been watching this thread with interest.

9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Ideal for beach racing!

10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Big Sandy put on it what gives you the most confidence ;)
    I've used Michelin pilot powers for years. Ok so they're not dual compound blah d blah blah but suit me fine and a new pair is around £140. Have a new pair on the 765 and a new spare pair in the garage roof.

I buy things like this not when i need them but when an offer pops up or a few quid is sat about spare. Always a better idea to buy when not needed rather than pay top wack and chase around when the sun comes out etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Pilot power was a good tyre. Outclassed by the Power RS now. Plus the RS keep working when it's wet

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The pilot powers work in the wet ok for me and I'm not suggesting they are as good as the RS but then there is a significant price difference. Maybe i dont know what im missing as ive not rode a Mich RS.
    I suppose it depends how hard you want to push it in the wet?

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Got given a pair, used for a track day and loved them (warm and dry), but on the road in the damp, just didn't feel secure. And they didn't last long.
    But horses for courses, tyre preference is personal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    That's very good advice. And, to be fair, the reason I'm looking at tyres now. I'll squeeze a few more miles out of the back yet, but it never hurts to be ready.

I unfortunately don't have the tools to fit and balance them though. Nearest fitter is a 75 Mile round trip. Like I need an excuse to go for a ride out....

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I dislike those Pirelli Diablo Corsa things, too pointy, and they track on every line in the road. Perhaps I wasn't getting enough heat in them, or perhaps they are crap? Lack of tread on a tyre in my head just equates to the certainty of falling off in the wet?
    I have used Michelin tyres mostly on all my bikes and am currently running my Triple RS on Michelin Power RS after throwing the Diablo Corsas in the bin after I suffered 3000 miles on them, I just don't like them!
    How tyres work for you is a lot in the head, I'm sure there is nothing wrong with Pirelli tyres, quite a few people seem to like them, but I don't.
    However, I can report that I feel al lot happier with the Power RS on, and my confidence in the wet is greater, seems to go round corners better, and women flock to my side when they see I am using Michelins.
    Nuff said....

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    You have that problem as well, I thought it was just me!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I too was of the opinion, that less tread also meant less grip in the wet / damp. Then I also got a pair of Michelin RS. Couldn't believe how secure they felt in the damp.
    My Tuono came with them on, and I was desperate to get out on it, but the roads were always damp, so I just thought, sod it I'm going out just to bimble. Rode 10 miles, hit the roundabout and I was hanging off the bike and then went around again, just for fun!!!
    Really really good tyre, just wish the rears would last longer, but V-Twins never kind on back tyres (not when your enjoying the thrust they have:p)

I carry a shitty stick with me, just to keep the numbers under control:cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Lovely word “thrust” :yum with regards the tyres. My Pirelli was down to the canvas in less than 4K. Michelin’s fitted now, 5K in & plenty left for the Scottish trip , that’s what I’m hoping anyway, after last years chaos. :weary_face: I blame Andy C, I was only trying to keep up!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I would only change tyres for a matching pair. It could be dangerous for having different compounds.
    I highly recommend Metzler Road Tec 01. Just changed my rear at 7500 miles

20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Thanks, but the torque from a twin really does give you that feeling, love it way more than IL4. The Speed Triple, I demo'd also had it.

If your doubtfull on your tyre lasting, get it changed before Scotland. Last year I trashed a tyre on my way up to meet you guys. Expensive trip to Crieff for a new rear. :confounded:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1