Suspension Upgrade For 2018 T100...what To Do?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Flashp, May 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Had 90 mile ride today and found that it rode well but felt like I could feel more of what was passing under the wheels without being a necessarily harder ride. The spring pre-load has only about 1mm or so taken up on it just to get the springs off the bottom, not sure if that was a good thing to do or not.
    Same on the front with the TEC progressive springs as far ride quality goes, I'm guessing it'll take a little time to mellow out.

Seems to track better round corners and potholes might not be severe as they once were.

I will have a look at the sag settings.

2. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda

Don't feck about, just go with the Hagons. Nitron rear and progressive springs up front. Sorted!

3. beding

beding New Member

May 13, 2018
    Netherlands, Eindhoven
    I have mounted YSS topline without piggyback on my T120.
    I am 100% happy. Motor has changed, steering is more quick.
    Much better on bad roads.
    Damping set to 15 clicks (half way)
    Spring load such that it presses in 1/3 when I sit on the saddle.
    No adaptation to chain cover needed (like with Hagon)
    See: http://www.britishlegends.fr/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Garydiesel

Garydiesel Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Bangor, North Wales.

I would not go with emulators in the front. Tried it on the Thruxton, not impressed.
    Since fitted KTech Trackers which is a proper job. Full adjustment of pre-load, compression and rebound from the top of the fork.
    Stuck with the the rear dampers for the moment, but probably KTech there as well later in the year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    If that were the only option I'd still have the stock ones. Too pricey for my retirement budget. For me I'm glad there is the TEC option at a cheaper price point. They've dramatically improved performance without breaking my meager bank. There's no one best option for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    That's not my experience on my '17 T100. Emulators made far more improvement than new progressive springs. I'm quite happy with them. May depend on the bike and it also seems some people love them (like me) and some don't. Sort of like new seats - almost have to try them to see if you'd like them.

7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Cheap parts and unreliable. Ask Jock Stew about his experience in Scotland where we found one had no gas in the gas shock. I've bought TEC parts because of the price, but to be honest, I'd advise paying more for better quality fit and finish.

8. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    Catch is. ........Made in China.
    Forks is just undo two nuts, change springs and oil, replace nuts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    And the rear gas shocks are flimsy. Too many horror stories to ignore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #30 Flashp, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Well, since I haven't been able to sell the bike I've decided to keep it and invest in better suspension. So I'm going with Andreani cartridge inserts and Nitron rear shocks designed for my weight + a bit of luggage. Also going to get some Givi Trekker panniers and combine this with my other hobby of photography. Now feeling good about resolving to make it fit for a bit of touring and turning it into a keeper.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Peter Stokes

Peter Stokes Member

Jun 6, 2018
    West Sussex
    I have a Newchurch that felt like I was riding over corrugated tin. So the suspension got switched to TEC Gas shocks on the rear and TEC progressive springs and preload adjusters on the front. It's made a whole heap of difference, especially the adjusters and at a price that wasn't followed by a divorce threat :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. David Gilding

David Gilding Member

May 25, 2018
    Hampshire
    Has anyone fitted the fork top adjusters to their T120 with the progressive springs? I fitted the tec springs and they made a great difference but at the time they didn't do the adjusters. When they became available I bought a pair but I am very confused as to where the two shims supplied with them go ! At the moment I have them on the right side, one between the spacer and spring replacing the stock shim and the other between the spacer and the adjuster. I sent several Emails to tec but although they answered the Emails they never actually answered the questions!! Just a diagram of what goes where would be helpfull.