Thruxton Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by TonyG, Aug 6, 2022.

1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Just to say I've had some YSS emulators fitted to my forks by James at FTR Suspension near Cambridge. The bike seems to rebound less over bumps and definitely doesn't dive as much on braking. James did a really professional job fitting them, he also noticed that there was some slight wear on the fork bushes so replaced them as well as they are just a few quid each. As I paid up I asked about sag settings etc., and he did a quick check and set up for me free of charge.

I've got K-Tech Razorlites on the back and the bike seems nicely sorted now. Not a massive difference to me as some people claim, but worth it.

Thinking about front brakes now, they are ok but feel they could be better. I've fitted Brembo sintered pads and can trigger the ABS so not sure how much is just in my mind really. Some people change the discs for floating ones, not sure how much difference that would make really. You can get Brembo 4 pot calipers to fit the standard size discs for about £760. Having said all that I was out today and the whole bike felt really balanced, at least to my 62 year old mind and reflexes so I might just leave it. Can't help tinkering though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #2 RevPaul, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    Thanks for posting this, I was getting set to ask a question about them.

I’m 62 and can’t help tinkering as well. I love my bike but have been genuinely disappointed by the rather harsh and basic front end on my Street Cup. I have improved the ride with TEC’s progressive springs on the front (much more compliant) and Triumph’s FOX RSUs.

I want to fit the YSS emulators to get the damping more suited to the springs. The instructions on the YSS website aren’t clear on how best to set up the ride it simply states that the emulators are shipped with two turns of “preload” on the valve spring. The TEC video is clear on fitting, but George just says that he sets the spring to about 1 turn for a more high speed response.

Do you know if FTR adjusted the spring on the emulator and if so by how much. If you do know this what is your bike, how heavy are you in your riding gear (sorry to be personal) and what sort of riding have you set the bike up for?

I have read some owners reports elsewhere that the emulators can reduce tramlining on poor surfaces, if so the emulators become a more cost effective solution than replacing my tyres, have you noticed such an improvement?

Cheers:)

3. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I'd have to ask FTR what they set them to which I can do if you want. I'm just under 11 stone without gear and I asked him to set it up for reasonably fast road riding. My Thruxton has never tramlined even before the emulators but my 865 does.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Thanks for the quick reply, if you don’t mind asking that’d be great.

I’m 14 stone without gear and probably ride a little slower than you. If your Thruxton is a 2016 to 2020 model, I can probably make guesstimate to what if anything to set. Thinking about TEC’s video they were fitting the emulators to a Street Scrambler so taking a turn out was probably to make the ride more compliant to off-road.

Thanks again:)

5. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    From James at FTR Suspension:

The adjustment screw is set to 7 turns with a 10wt oil and 7.5N/mm springs according to my set-up data for your bike.

Hope that helps.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Thanks, that’s a great help.:)

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi @RevPaul you could pop down to Ian Mackman’s in Northwich.
    https://www.2machsmotorcycles.com/

He set up my Thruxton suspension for £40.