Super Or Normal Fuel.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by chuk, Oct 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    #1 chuk, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    still a bit on chilly side roads were dry decided to go a run through galston and strathaven Ayrshire filled tank with shells finest (vpower)just over £20,admittedly the range on clocks was zero but it was about £1.40 odds per litre am I wasting my money on using best fuel maybe in my head but seems to run but nicer when not using standard 95 petrol,oops bikes 2011 speed triple standard had twin scorpions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    It's more expensive so must be better innit!

I do use v power hoping it's better than the standard stuff. May not make a lot of difference on a bog standard engine compared with good quality shell. Never touch the cheap supermarket stuff having read about their fuel (Tesco) being poor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I can vouch for the bike running better on higher grade fuel, my speed rs loves the stuff, I could feel a difference after a few tanks.
    So I'll continue to use it from now on.

• Like Like x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chuk.
    Can't really comment as I always use the best grade mostly Shell.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    As others have said in other similar threads, bikes are built to run pretty much anywhere in the world on whatever low grade petrol you might come across. They'll do perfectly fine on cheap supermarket fuel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Here we go again!

Personally, after running on 95 for a while (haven't been near a station that does a higher grade the last few fill ups) I noticed an immediate effect last Sunday with a higher octane. Instantly ran smoother and more responsive.
    Could still be a placebo effect though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Screenshot_20181030-191102.png
    Been here before, does feck all than make you think it's better. If you have knock sensors, yes, but you haven't, so imho, does nothing, sorry.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I use the higher grade with my Aprilia because it has a plastic tank and the higher percentage of ethanol in the lower grade fuel has been causing tank distortion making them leak. As has already been said the bikes are designed to run on normal fuels so not sure if it would make a difference to performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Modern Norton tanks blistered due to ethanol, so the newer ones have reverted to metal tanks. A mate's four-year old plastic tank blisteerd all over. He tried to get a goodwill warranty on it. Norton responded it was his own fault for spilling petrol on the tank. Poor customer relations cuz he isn't going to be buying another modern Norton.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Probably imagination willing the improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Does that say car in the Google search or are my eyes deceiving me.:joy:
    We're talking about motorbikes Mr o. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Makes bugger all difference, an IC engine is an IC engine and not heard of a bike with knock sensors.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Does that say car in the Google search or are my eyes deceiving me.:joy:
    We're talking about motorbikes Mr o. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I'm seriously not trying to create a massive discussion bud but I'm sure a top gear episode Clarkson was on about ascari super car on normal fuel runs 800bhp but knocks it up to over a thousand hp ran on better fuel.
    Just saying, Clarkson said so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Super car ain't a basic motorcycle built to go anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The short answer is.......it all depends. My carbed T100 happily sups 95 RON end of......
    The longer answer is......The handbook for a Speed RS says “Your Triumph engine is designed to use unleaded fuel and will give optimum per- formance if the correct grade of fuel is used. Always use unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating of 91 RON.
    In certain circumstances engine calibra- tion may be required. Always refer to your authorised Triumph dealer.”
    However, the underlying issue is compression, ignition curve and sensors. An Efi bike with gizmos is probably adjusting its timing advance to maximise the benefits of higher RON fuel and it will show. My scoot is too dumb to notice.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I very much doubt it. Bikes are tuned to run on basic 'premium' fuel. 'Super' high-octane fuel just burns ££s quicker.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Octane rating is not a measure of power available, as commonly believed. It's the measure of resistance to premature firing (knocking/pinking). If you can run the engine to optimum, which is just prior to knocking occurring, then a higher octane rating is good. In Nissan GTR, etc, they have knock sensors , which allow the engines to run to these higher levels available by using the higher rated ratane fuels. Without these sensors, your wasting your cash and giving shell more of your hard earned.

As I've said before, you pays your money, you make the choices. If you think it works cos you pay more, hope your happy doing so. I'll stick to the any old fuel I can buy when the wee red light comes on. The cheaper the better, cos their a bunch of robbing bastards the bloody lot of them.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Which is why I was non specific. I know a Panigale V4 has knock sensors. A Speedie RS? No idea!

• Like Like x 1
  20. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    High octane fuels burn slower so putting it in your fuel injected Triumph means you are killing its performance not enhancing it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

In theory a stoichiometric mixture has just enough air to completely burn the available fuel. In practice this is never quite achieved, due primarily to the very short time available in an internal combustion engine for each combustion cycle. Most of the combustion process is completed in approximately 2 milliseconds at an engine speed of 6,000 revolutions per minute. (100 revolutions per second; 10 milliseconds per revolution) This is the time that elapses from the spark plug firing until 90% of the fuel–air mix is combusted, typically some 80 degrees of crankshaft rotation later. Catalytic converters are designed to work best when the exhaust gases passing through them are the result of nearly perfect combustion.

A stoichiometric mixture unfortunately burns very hot and can damage engine components if the engine is placed under high load at this fuel–air mixture. Due to the high temperatures at this mixture, detonation of the fuel–air mix while approaching or shortly after maximum cylinder pressure is possible under high load (referred to as knocking or pinging), specifically a "pre-detonation" event in the context of a spark-ignition engine model. Such detonation can cause serious engine damage as the uncontrolled burning of the fuel air mix can create very high pressures in the cylinder. As a consequence, stoichiometric mixtures are only used under light to low-moderate load conditions. For acceleration and high load conditions, a richer mixture (lower air–fuel ratio) is used to produce cooler combustion products and thereby prevent detonation and overheating of the cylinder head.

This is why more and more engines have knock sensors (V4 Ducati (thanks Callum ity, didn't know that & Nissan GTR), so they can get closer to an ideal Stoichiometric mixture. Using high octane fuels helps to achieve this, as they're less likely to self ignite and therefore engine designers can move closer to ideal fuelling at high loads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1