Summer - Off Autumn/winter - On

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Markus, Oct 17, 2023.

1. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Tonight was the night. Summer flipped the switch and went straight into late fall/winter. Temperatures have dropped from 15-25 degrees Celsius to -2 to 11 degrees Celsius in one night. Therefore, early morning biking on the way to the office is again somewhat challenging! Today I left at 0 degrees Celsius and arrived after 60 km at 3-4 degrees. With heating grips, several layers of clothing while riding it works. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  2. FezUSA

FezUSA Member

Sep 1, 2023
    OH, USA
    I get my heated grips installed at the 600 miles service, along with the QS and fog lights. Already had the handguards installed so that's helping. I did finally get a heated jacket though, and it's incredible. Wind/water proof and very light, so I can take out the quilted liner and the wind/waterproof liner from my cold weather jacket and just wear the heated one. So less bulk and really, really warm. I only had it on just past the halfway mark on the dial, and had to turn it down after 10 minutes or so at 50mph! But it was also "only" 40F, not quite as cold as your 30! The jacket has a heated collar and heated sleeves, as well as front/back. This helps keep blood flowing to the extremities so the fingers don't get as cold as quickly. But I am looking forward to the heated grips! And when that's not enough I have heated gloves too!! All powered from the bike (which sleeps with a charger to make sure the battery level doesn't drop too far!).

I would highly recommend dropping the bulk of the extra clothing layers and getting a proper heated jacket. Can wear just a t-shirt under it to keep the heating elements as close to the body as possible!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I just ordered a heating jacket. I am looking forward to use it.;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I got a cheap heated gilet from Amazon a couple of years ago to see what it would be like and actually it's brilliant. So cheap I feel like it might set me on fire one day though :p. I can only imagine how nice a good quality jacket would be. It is my hands that really suffer and keeping my core warm really helps the hands as well :).

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I got a pair of cheap heated gloves from Amazon a couple of years back and they're great, not waterproof but plenty warm enough. They have 3 settings and will last 2hrs on the highest which is actually too warm when stood still but just right in temps right down to freezing when on the move. The battery packs fit in the cuffs so no wires to faff about with. Brilliant:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I did the same. Mine is also a gilet from Amazon. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Triumph heated grips are superb IMO, and for me are the default winter solution. Compared to the likes of BMW (I had to buy heated gloves to supplement the meagre output) some simple winter gloves give me all the protection against the cold that I need.

That said, when I do wear heated gloves as well it’s pure luxury for the hands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    The actual BMW grips are working in a better temperature level. They have 3 positions. Number 3 is the "cooking level". :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    You’ve had better luck than me, then. Mine were awful, despite the three temperature levels.

• Like Like x 1
  10. John Clifton

John Clifton Member

Aug 3, 2022
    Aldershot
    @FezUSA - I'm very tempted by a heated jacket of some sort. What make is yours or is it a 'cheapie'? If I get one it would definitely need heat in the colar and arms, as yours does.

11. FezUSA

FezUSA Member

Sep 1, 2023
    OH, USA
    Not a cheapie, but worth every penny. Here in NE Ohio I'm on the edge of the snow belt and have come out from work to find the bike with snow on it. That's usually when I put it away as I don't like to ride once they start salting the roads. My jacket (and now gloves too) are from Warm & Safe. Read their backstory. I have to turn the heat down part way to work! I can't believe I waited so long to purchase one, but I'm also really glad that I found this brand and got lucky to buy a 90+W jacket in a close out colour (red). I traded emails with them first and a 65W would have met my needs, but they said that the sale price of the 90W makes more sense if it's available in my size, which it was. Couldn't care less about the colour as it goes under my riding jacket, and I'm not sure how often I'd be wearing the heated jacket on it's own. It is wind/waterproof, but I don't really ride places and then get off my bike and store my outer riding gear while I walk about. And yes, the heated collar is nice! Was below freezing on Monday morning for my ride to work, and yet I was so nice and toasty the whole ride! I start the bike and plug in/ turn the heat on. By the time I have got my gloves on and am pulling off the driveway the heat can already be felt!!

https://www.warmnsafe.com/

• Like Like x 1
  12. FezUSA

FezUSA Member

Sep 1, 2023
    OH, USA
    • Useful Useful x 1