Featured Sturgis Revisited: In Honor (and Memory) Of A Rally-less 2020

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Aug 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    The 2020 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is in full swing this week. :cool: Nope, I am NOT there! But one year ago today Mr. Sandi and I were rolling into our garage after 2,700 glorious miles and a wild week in the Black Hills at Sturgis 2019. Who'd have thought that things this year would be so different? :(

I've been bemoaning the fact that we won't attend even one motorcycle rally in 2020 thanks to COVID. Last year we hit four! Cave Creek/Arizona Bike Week, the Laughlin River Run, Las Vegas Bike Fest and, the "big daddy", Sturgis. So I've been looking back at my photos from those rallies to tide me over until we hit the rally trail again. My trip down memory lane included revisiting the Sturgis trip thread I posted on our forum a year ago. I thought some of you might enjoy revisiting it, too, since motorcycle events are pretty limited these days. Some of you new members might get a kick out of it as well. It definitely brought a smile to my face and a spark of joy to my (homebound) heart. :) There are a couple of photos that would fit into the Babes & Bikers thread--just to whet your appetites. ;):joy: So here's a link to my thread titled "Sturgis Trip on my (non) Triumph". Enjoy! :heart:

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/sturgis-trip-on-my-non-triumph.20572/

IMG_3644.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    The Black Hills Motor Classic, which is the dirt race that started it all off back in the '30s. I think it will be fairly thin this year. I recall seeing a steady stream of Harleys roaring across Iowa year after year. I was my reminder that summer was about over. It is amusing that in the 1980's it was seen as a drunken street brawl with biker gangs and curious tourists. The surrounding towns (not many) loved it, as it was their year long income. It evolved into a destination and the media no longer called it bad. It's still a drunken street brawl, but any measure, but much more accepted. I stay away, as it isn't my cup of Joe (with Jack), but cheer all who brave the mobs and such for a memory that will last for a lifetime. ;)

• Like Like x 5
  3. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Just revisited the whole thread, and enjoyed it for t'second time. Cheers Sandi.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wow, Bikerman, what a disappointment for you and your wife. :( It would have been a fun year to go since those decade "anniversary" rallies are always huge. Mr. Sandi and I had discussed going again this year but for the most part dismissed the idea for several reasons. None of which had to do with COVID at the time. We may go again one day but, these days, who knows?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    I would like to do that one myself, that's the main one off them all thanks again for sharing the pic's @Sandi T. I only got round to this one in Virginia when stateside. http://www.thunderinkanawha.com/

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    i’ve never heard about this rally, Don, but it looks very interesting. And I’ve always heard the Blue Ridge Parkway is fantastic riding. It’s a long trip from Tucson but Mr. Sandi and I have talked about doing East Coast rides by flying somewhere and renting. Do you know if this rally is still an annual event? Most likely not this year but I’m wondering if it will be on again in 2021. What did you think of the Blue Ridge Parkway and the riding in that area?

7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    I do believe it is an annual event but the website should give details for it, I happened to be at Langly AFB at the time and went with a load of US service folk.

The Blue Ridge mountains and parkway was fantastic and there is a lot of moonshine in the area made legitimately, not that I would partake in such pastimes me being of strict moral fibre :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    B00FDD43-0F5B-41E6-8563-7E76A9E8F219.png It can be dangerous getting to the Sturgis Rally.
    Ken.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Can be dangerous to be stupid, why would you think it's a good idea to get between a mother and baby when they weigh 900kgs and have horns

• Agree Agree x 8
  11. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    HV is spot on you try walking across a field with cow's and young and see what happens if you get between them they can be worse than any bull

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Perhaps those that do things like the woman in @Kenbro 's post are secretly vying to win a Darwin Award?? :confused:

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 12.35.45 PM.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Oldbear

Oldbear New Member

Aug 16, 2020
    Bowling Green, Ky
    Everybody ought to go to Sturgis at least once. I was there in ‘94 and ‘95. Truly a unique place to people watch (plus a ton of bikes). Never saw a chain bikini before.
    Interesting experience. My dream for years now has been Isle of Man..

• Like Like x 4
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #14 Sandi T, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    I agree, Oldbear. Everyone should go to Sturgis at least once because it's quite the spectacle. Once may be what Mr. Sandi and I end up with but the memories will last us the rest of our lives. You are so right that it is a truly unique place to people watch and ogle bikes. Who knows, we may go again in a year or two because it was a terrific trip last year--not just the rally itself but the travels to and from as well. As for the Isle of Man, that's definitely on my bucket list!

• Like Like x 3
  15. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Back in the early '90s I rode my trusty old 1980 Suzuki GS 550L to Sturgis from Abilene, Texas.

It was a pretty boring ride to get there -still better than riding in a car! But once there, I had a blast.

I was concerned showing up on a Suzuki (based on all I had heard, it was the 90's, after all), but all for naught as I saw a bunch of different makes including a Honda 250 Rebel with a custom paint job that said, "Hardly Ableson" on the tank. The hardcore biker-looking dude that rode off on the thing was about 6' 3" and had to be close to 300 pounds.

Sturgis was definitely a once in a lifetime experience for me, but, weirdly enough, going to the Republic of Texas (ROT) Rally in Austin was a much "deeper dive" into the hardcore biker culture. That was NOT a place for a woman (or a lone man for that matter) once the sun went down. It got down right ugly. They did have great concerts, though.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Loved your description of the dude on the Honda Rebel 250 at Sturgis the year you were there, JtC! :joy: I can just picture that...especially since the bike I learned too the Beginning Rider MSF class on was just that bike. Thanks for your take on ROT, too. I've always been curious about that rally and thought it might be fun to attend. Now I'm not so sure. :p

• Like Like x 3
  17. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Thanks, Sandi.

As far as the ROT goes, that was in the early 2000's and really, the only enjoyment I got out of it was checking out all the bikes and the concerts (George Thorogood, Joan Jett and the HBs).

It really was a raunchy (kind word) crowd. I'm no cream puff, mind you, but it was bad. A friend even witnessed a 3 on 1 GB right out in the open -broad daylight. After dark it was clothing optional -which isn't horrible, I guess, for a rally, but it is the where and when they did it that seemed so bad to me.

If you've never been and want to go, just try to find some feedback from the most recent ones. It's possible they could have cleaned their act up a bit. I think the two I went to boasted more bikes/people than Sturgis those years (can't say if that's true or not, but it did seem bigger to me). It was definitely better to find a hotel in town than to camp at the sight as I did.

• Like Like x 2
  18. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    I’ve just read the original thread,what a great write up. Makes you want to grab your helmet and go !

Not sure I’ll ever be able to look at m&m’s the same ever again though........:eek::yum

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Or leather, spikes, and chains, either, eh? :eek::joy: Not that it's that surprising, but both of those women readily and happily agreed to pose for me for a photo! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #20 Sandi T, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    After reading both your posts, JtC, especially this one, I'd be doing a LOT of research and asking around before thinking about heading the ROT Rally. That said, I know it could be quite different now. The Laughlin River Run changed substantially after the Hell's Angels and the Mongols had a run in that resulted in some dead members. Most people seemed happy about the rally changes but a few seemed to continue to mourn "the good ol' days". I don't remember the year that happened but it was before Mr. Sandi and I were together and before I even started riding. The "incident" happened in the middle of the night and he didn't even know about it until the next morning. But he said that everything was different that morning and the place was nearly in a lockdown. I love bikes, bikers, vendors, rides, concerts, all those rally things. But I really don't need raunch. :rolleyes:

BTW, I saw George Thorogood at the Fox Theater in Tucson a couple of years ago and the band were awesome! :grinning:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1