Stripped Torx Star Head Bolt T595

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by StuarT595, Dec 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Try a new bit and coarse grinding paste. The paste takes up gaps and grips at the same time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    So this is the plan...I have discussed the welding of a nut on top of the bolt with a local mobile welder. He’s only seen the photos but he reckons it could be a tight job in the corner, directly beneath the frame...he’s coming to look tomorrow (he luckily lives 10 minutes away). In the meantime I bought some dremel diamond-tip bits (some of them really sharply pointed) to cut a hex into the head bolt, thinking at worst I’d be burning out the oil for a nice clean weld.
    I approached the hex job today, but abandoned it because even the dremel was too tight against the frame...I’ve now ordered a flexible extension, so will try again in a couple of days, with the welder’s position known.
    I really like the idea of the paste...I reckon that could help my hex project no end, so thank you! :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Stuart T595, if all else fails send me 1 relatively damaged bolt through the post, I will have an appropriate bit that you can knock into the stripped torx bolt, you can have it FOC, and it will not break. You will have to message me through the conversation post as we both don't want our addresses on the open forum, your mobile number will do and I can ring you back with the details. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Blimey, Iceman, another phenomenally generous offer, that’s so kind of you. If all else fails I’ll definitely take you up on that!
    The welder guy said it would be a really tight squeeze, and the issue would be getting the rod through the nut to the bolt itself, because even the slightest angle makes it near impossible to do that. Probably engine out for the welding.
    So, dremel in a day or so for phase I, plus I’ve bought a snap-on easy-out, which could offer up a phase II, then...well, then I’ll be taking you up on your extremely kind offer, and then...well then, if absolutely nothing works, it’s engine out for the welder...the head WILL come off!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    So, something very exciting happened today and I can’t stop smiling!

168AC856-FB19-47EF-87A5-8C6C923686AE.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Well done that man !

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    So, spill the beans on what did the trick! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    To conclude this post I can say it’s been a bit of a journey...the welder felt that any other bolt on the head could’ve had a nut welded to it, but the corner one, beneath the frame, it was just too tight SO...
    I ordered an extension for the dremel which gave me slightly better, though still angular access, and ground out the bolt to firstly receive a Torx Plus (this too chewed out). Eventually, with some pink grinding attachments I proceeded to grind out a round hole in the head bolt, which then received a Snap On extractor like a dream...even with the smallest bite it shifted that head bolt from near full torque...SO impressed.
    Of course, absolutely any other bolt on the head could’ve probably been reached with a drill to shape it up...but the dremel tool did its job, leaving me with a grin from ear to ear.
    I’ve had the offending bolt sorted for some time, but was waiting for a Facom Torx bit to arrive (which it didn’t), before finally going for it and ordering a Snap On T50 to remove the remaining bolts! Even though the remaining bolts were ‘used’ the Torx driver bit hard and still looked as good as new afterwards - you can tell I’m sold on Snap On. I’m now ordering the half dozen or so bits required to dismantle the bike so far (Torx, Sockets, and Allen, etc.) to keep as a tool kit for the bike, I’m that pleased with them.
    Anyway...pictures...and thank you all again for your support and help!

558D2C5B-8F3D-4351-98E3-2DA6A1D83C9B.jpeg

8A633311-230C-4188-BF05-3E75A1E9998E.jpeg

8E8793B0-BF4D-4D7C-894F-85622E23FF7B.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 3
  9. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Well done!! Hopefully you will be able to get it all back together by the time the weather warms up!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    WOW - you can certainly see where that extractor 'bit' ..... and held! Impressive work - keep smiling!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Good job mate :cool:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Great job, gosh it's been a long haul for you, it just shows how quality kit can save the day, I know Snap On are expensive, but they are fantastic quality and come with a lifetime guarantee. Good luck putting her all back together.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Thanks for the encouragement...I was 100% sold on Snap On the second that extractor chewed down into that bolt head, bottomed out and held up against my extension bar, such joy!
    Equally, when my new Snap On T50 took out the remaining worn and rough-headed bolts without so much as a graze on the splines...that was a pretty ecstatic experience too :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    StuarT595
    Glad you got it sorted never doubted you. You have what it takes to succeed. Good luck with the rest of the build.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Late to this but glad you got it done ...me I would have just welded a nut on
    you normally find that the extra heat makes the bolt stretch and takes the tension off so take little to undo.

• Like Like x 1
  16. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    A mobile welder took a look at it and felt the angles were too tight to easily make contact with the bolt head through the nut, and there was no option/space to weld around it. Apparently, if it had been any other bolt in the head it would’ve been easy, but not so with the corner bolt directly beneath the frame. At least that was his explanation...I had zero knowledge on arc welding to contest it.
    Such a relief to get it out though!

7FF892F4-77AE-4B38-B5BC-B819C90047AA.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Iron

Iron Guest

A relief getting that bolt out by any means.

I went to have a look at snap on's website after seeing your result. I turned it off again when I saw a set of 12 sockets priced at over 44 grand - blimey. :dizzy:

• Like Like x 1
  18. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    You can buy the set new for £80 or just £5ish a piece, unbelievable value! When I inserted the first extractor it chewed in and bit really well, but slipped under strain. So I enlarged the hole a teeny bit more and inserted the next size up, which held fast...that would’ve cost £10 for both bits new, excellent value for money

2589C5CE-5B63-4EB1-AA08-A4FC0225D7DF.jpeg

D51A1042-77C9-4645-8668-818AE4E73FFB.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  19. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Just to wrap this one up...I think it needs a tuneecu sort out, and maybe one of the injectors is weeping, but otherwise a credible first start, after a long LONG journey.
    Exhaust is blowing at the bottom joint but, otherwise, does it sound ok to you?
    https://youtube.com/shorts/y-Z1zobNRhk