Stripped Torx Star Head Bolt T595

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by StuarT595, Dec 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Will upload a picture tomorrow...yes that would make a lot of sense.

• Like Like x 2
  2. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Interesting...and as you say, I want to look at all of the suggestions and approach them in ascending order.
    Many thanks for your insights.

• Like Like x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    StuarT595
    Tell you what i have done in the past with a side casing bolt is take a torx one size bigger and chamfered the very tip. Then taped it in and cut a new torx thread with it. And tighten just a smidgen first then loose.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Are you removing or refitting the head? I thought you had to change the head bolts after one use?
    I reckon @Pegscraper is on the right track here. The bolt, and the Torx socket are trash so I would weld them together in order to remove the damaged bolt. Allow the bolt to cool down then apply some heat around the bolt on the head with a hot air gun, or blow torch. You are looking to heat the head but not the bolt so don’t go mad or the heat will transfer into the bolt making it harder to remove. You want a cold bolt (contracted) and warm head(expanded) and it should come out ok. Then get a good quality Torx socket and bobs your mothers brother.;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Thanks, Yorkshireman,
    I’m removing the head...I’d already ordered new bolts because I could see they were ‘used.’
    Interesting you should mention ‘good quality Torx socket,’ because I can’t seem to find anything that isn’t either a 50-piece set for a tenner, or a Snap-On item at £30 for a single piece.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I get mine from Halfords using my trade card ;)
    They sell them individually and have proved to be value for money.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    these threads are very useful...although sorry to hear of your woes stuart595! It is always good to hear of real world issues and how to get out of a situation!

For what it is worth, being a cheapskate, i tend to buy cheaper tools...but then when one breaks - as i use it the most, i replace it with a quality one...so building up "good tools" for what I use regularly....

I have attempted to use the "easy out" bits before as well (and bought cheap) and they were crap. So, either they are a crap "thing" or a crap concept...I would be interested to hear if "good ones" work well....I haven't replaced those as yet and wonder if it is worth doing so with "good ones"....

I will be interested to see how this all pans out - good luck stuart595!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The problem with the "easy outs", even quality ones is they are quite brittle with zero flex. IMO they're designed to remove the remnants of a bolt or stud that's sheared off rather than a bolt that is still under tension, particularly something like a head bolt where high torque is involved. Ideally, you need to drill a pilot hole down into the threaded part of the bolt/stud, then use the extractor/easy out but this won't be possible on a bolt as long as a cyl head bolt.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I second this! Pay the extra and buy the Halfords "ADVANCED PROFESSIONAL" tools - they actually feel like good quality, not Snap-on, admittedly, but certainly not Rolson (et. al.). Best of all they're lifetime guaranteed - you break or damage one and they're replaced FOC and (I gather) no quibble, so you'll pay more but pay once!

Case in point :- about a year ago I used my Trade card and a special offer and got one of the Professional sets - not this particular set but something very similar ...

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...lfords-advanced-100-pc-socket-set-735948.html -

A couple of weeks ago I needed a hex key socket and discovered that the set I'd bought contained two of one particular size but none of the one I wanted so it had obviously been omitted at production. I took the set in, explained the problem and they unhesitatingly went to the back of the store and brought out the correct part - no question, no problem. They even provided a receipt showing FOC provision. I went to walk out when the assistant said "Oh, you may as well take the duplicate piece with you - it is yours, after all!" They could have as easily put it back on the store shelf and sold it in place of the one they'd given me but it was offered so I took it - never know when you might need that extra!

I don't rate Halfords particularly highly and their prices are not exactly "motor factor" but I can't fault their service on this occasion and, so far at least, can't fault the 'Advanced' range tools.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I'll find out soon I've got to take a broken advanced tool back
    I'm expecting a shit fight as their 4 year battery guarantee isn't worth anything

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Well, I'll be interested to hear how you get on - and which store you use. Good luck - hope it all goes OK.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    No problem at all replaced it
    Much better than the 2 year old battery with its 4 year guarantee fight I had 6 months ago ended up telling them to stick the battery where the sun don't shine

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Thanks x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Agree x 1
  13. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Thanks, Joe,
    I’m also toying with the idea of using a dremel to cut it to the next size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Thanks, Daniel, I’ll keep this thread updated with the progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    I think you’re right, pegscraper, the torque is going to be too much for them. The Torx bit literally exploded under the pressure...all but 2 of the splines shattered off of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    @tcbandituk
    Here’s what I’m facing. A close up of the disaster and 3 shots from different angles to show access without taking the engine out.

2FBF4115-8B3B-4737-8F75-681D8C8F19E7.jpeg

AE8C299E-1DFB-43C6-A415-2C7228D68923.jpeg

B9D3462D-CF33-4184-8234-DB3EBEEC4EF7.jpeg

E041E3B4-D844-48BE-9C4D-1F695068E66D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    As you can see, they’ve all been ‘got at’ before. Anyone know whether the head bolts would be Torx Plus? Can you tell from simply looking? The Torx bit I used felt a little sloppy in the bolt head, but that could be that they’re knackered?
    Torx Plus are slightly chunkier if I’m not mistaken?

48004067-B0F0-4CCA-9D23-5E131926B08D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    A lot of head bolts today are designed to stretch when used so it is good practice to replace them as well, I have had success with two types of extractors: short type and Hurlinger type not the usual run of the mill types, but if you do not won't to purchase these maybe a Hex key socket would fit into the Torx head I have also had good results that way.

listing_pic_1192489_1461115167.jpeg

H8737-L79659584.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  19. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Wow, that snap on set looks robust enough to do the job. Nothing to lose by trying a hex either I guess. Thanks for sharing that!

• Like Like x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  20. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    The other option is to weld a nut on top of the knackered Torx bolt, filling the threads of the nut and the hollow in the bolt with weld leaving the outside free for a socket to get a good purchase.
    Looks like the person who put those Torx bolts in didn’t use the correct size tool, easy done with Torx.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1