Street Twin Steering

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tony Richardson, Sep 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ken. Your'e right of course. But i feel Tony has made his mid up its not the tyres. And God Forbid it he takes a tumble. I know it hurts.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

2. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    Hi Joe, I have not ruled out the tyres, just putting off buying new ones until I am sure that they are the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tony.
    No problem. I have been there and i know some times we think it just can't be and mabye not. Take it to a dealer or someone to get a better idea. And like someone said try to post some closer pic's of the tyres fromt and back.
    You will get it beleive me.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    If it isn't tyres I'll eat my hat o_O

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Hi Tony. I find the exact opposite. The Street Twin is just about the easiest bike I've ever ridden to get round really tight bends and corners, on all sorts of surfaces. The bike practically steers itself. Relaxed loose riding style, tuck in the elbow on the side I plan to turn, feather touch counter steer and round it whizzes. No muscle power needed at all. A piece of p!5$ really. I leave pretty much every other bike in my wake on those tight ones. The short wheel base helps. I've also raised the rear suspension which does make the turning in quicker, but it was a cracking agile bike even so.

The stock Pireli's are rubbish. They track every line and banding in the road. Ditch them and you'll notice a massive improvement. I've put Avon 3D on mine, which are great and cheaper.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ken
    Ever ate a hat. Not that apitizing.
    Regards
    Joe.

7. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Yes! A chocolate one :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. NZ Westie

NZ Westie Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Waitakere, New Zealand
    Hi Tony, I've had my Street Twin just over a month, bought brand new, and from your description I think my riding style is similar to yours.

I think I know where you are coming from, I definitely thought the steering was slow and heavy when I first test rode one. But I was comparing to a much lighter BMW G310R, with a 17” front wheel - it does take a little bit of time to get used to the difference.

Early on, I did feel a couple of times that the Triumph went a bit wide on some corners – which made me feel a bit nervous. But when I thought about things more, I realised it was me rather than the bike. Basically on some tighter right handers that were quite tricky really – downhill, dense bush on the inside with steep drops away from the road edge, bumpy and uneven surfaces (read as small mountains if you are from Holland)… going a bit quicker than I thought, so some late braking into the corner etc etc.

I am now really comfortable with the Street Twin’s handling. As long as I have my entry lines and speeds good, I know it is going to do what it needs to, just a case of relaxing and trusting in the bike’s ability – I know my riding style is not likely to test it.

Cheers - Derek

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I changed my ST tyres for Continental Road Attack 3’s and the ride and cornering has improved significantly

They are a bugger to get because of the unusual sizes

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    I find that it affects both corners, left and right, but especially when bumpy, it seems that the forks can’t handle the bumps and steering at the same time, they get overwhelmed, I cannot brake harder while the forks are trying to sort out the bumps, causing me to run wide a couple of times., and l

11. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Not wise to be braking mid corner, try & get your braking done before you countersteer into the bend, if you need to brake because of a mis judgement then try tapping the rear brake, this will help turn the bike in.
    Slow in - fast out :yum No rude comments chaps!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #32 topdec, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    I agree. As long as you've done all your hard braking on a straight line, when entering the corner you can ease off the front brake lever but keep a light touch on it, and should be able to safely carry some of that front brake load while turning, and while continuously feathering off the front brake lever as you complete all of your turning input (trail-braking).

It would be safer to practice this technique in a parking lot first.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #33 topdec, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    If you think suspension is the issue, put a zip tie around your fork tube (the chrome part) and seat it on the outer tube. The zip tie should get pushed up as the fork compresses and will show you how much you compress the forks when you brake.

Maybe not enough weight is being transferred to the front-end (or maybe you're bottoming out, but less likely). This can help you figure out if you need lighter (or heavier) fork springs.

You can also look for the fork spring specs from Triumph to see if it matches your weight.

• Thanks Thanks x 1