Street Twin Series Tire Life

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by OsteKuste, Nov 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I did a bit of searching with no results, so thought I’d ask. On the Street Twin series bikes what has been the average life of the oem rubber. I have a Street Cup that is about to tick over 5k miles and the front tire is down to the wear indicators, rear tire is worn evenly, no center flat spot. I check the psi every ride, and all the riding I do is on some pretty curvy mountain roads with almost no highway miles. I find it odd to go through the front tire first, but will be replacing both anyway. Is 5 or 6k all I should have expected? I hope to get more out of the Conti Road Attack 3s I will be using next.

2. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    5500 miles on my 2017 Street Twin front and I am changing both. The rear could do a few miles more but happy to have new rubber all round.
    Alfie

3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Much turns on individual riding habits so averages don’t mean much. You normally expect to go through rears twice as fast as fronts but hard braking and progressive acceleration will even things up.

The front probably started with much shallower tread (maybe 50% less?) to begin with as well as being narrower. Then again an 18” front does about 95% of the revolutions of a 17” rear.

Tyre life is always a trade off with grip but these most sports touring tyres are pretty similar in performance even if subjectively they feel different. Your numbers seem ‘about right’ to me.

4. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Thanks, I am just trying to get a feel for what should be a rough “normal” expectation. As I said, I run pretty hard on almost exclusively very curvy roads and the tires show it. No chicken strips on front or rear. I figure that’s why the rear has worn so evenly.

5. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I tend to push into the curves pretty aggressively, hit the apex, then power out while only braking as necessary for the curve. Brake late and on the gas early might be fun, but probably is not going to help with wear and tear!

6. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I have 4,500 miles on mine and still plenty of rubber. But I don't ride particularly aggressive or brake hard as it is not a sport bike. Also by bike is a 'weekend toy' and I never ride in the rain (live in California where it rarely rains) so I can let the tread go a bit longer. It all depends on your style of riding, wet weather riding, etc. There really is no 'normal'. But I do know that a new stock tire does not have a deep tread to begin with.
    Just enjoy your ride and change when needed !!

7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    It's about right. Try Avon 3D Storm. Cheaper and way better than the Pirellis.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I get between 12000 and 16000 klms on front tyre of my America, it's 2009 EFI with 905 cc bore and has been tuned on a Dynamometer. Putting out 70 odd HP . Haven't done a rear yet, get as much as 22000 out of the rears. Wider power band means I use less throttle , gentler acceleration, results in better wear and longevity.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GUTHEMBERG

GUTHEMBERG New Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Brazil
    I've completed 10k miles on my 2016 Street Twin and the front original tire got to the TWI mark. Rear could run for 2k or 3k miles, but I will replace both now, for the Scorpion Trail 2.

10. NZ Westie

NZ Westie Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Waitakere, New Zealand
    I got 12000 km on the front Pirelli on my 2018 Street Twin. Replaced with Metzeler Roadtec 01 (limited choice for 18" tyres in NZ).

At 18000 km now, and rear still has a couple of k's rubber left.

I'm on mainly rural roads, plenty of twisty bits, and I'm not aggressive with my riding style.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I ride on mainly twisty mountain roads, as aggressive as one can on these bikes. I got 7300 miles on mine and the front looked like a racing slick, not even a shadow of tread left. Replaced with Continental Road Attack 3s which have already impressed me in the first couple hundred miles.

• Like Like x 2