Street Twin Recall

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by Tony Richardson, Mar 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    This is something that seems strange to me. The recall statement as written by Triumph says the clutch cable rubs on the wiring harness. On my 2018 Street Twin I don't see where that can happen. Or how a clutch cable can cut onto wiring. But what I do see on my bike is a very obvious is a sharp edge on the headlight bracket that can rub on the headstock wiring harness when the handle bar is turned all the way to the left. (You can see the pictures I posted up above in a previous post)

Is this what other Street Twin owners have seen? Is the clutch cable really damaging any wiring?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #22 Notso, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Checked my VIN and not on there. Checked with dealer as well and my bike (bought late 2018) is not on the recall. I asked what they do to fix and he said it's just a cable tidy, is that right? Got the impression there was more to it. Just had a look and I cannot see any traps left lock, potentially a little rub on right lock. Wires all seem to have extra (cloth?) wrapping, cables have a foam sleeve near the headlight.

Edit - Just found a chunk of thread above an advert and found the pictures, very helpful, thanks. So the thing to note is that the wiring loom is above the lower end of the headlight mount. On mine the loom ends up only about 1cm above the pinch point. Fine, but not knowing what is holding it up I will keep an eye to make sure it doesn't drop!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I think this is what a fixed one looks like, the loom just a little higher than the lower part of the headlight mount, so it isn't pinched.
    20190322_162503.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Just checked Hugh on the Triumph site and it told me that he needs to go in for the recall too. 2017 T100.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Thx
    My street twin is having the repair done next week. Now I know what to look for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    It's just a replacement cable tidy to prevent chafing resulting in bared wires. 10 minute job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Well get it booked in then ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    On checking my cable,it is definitely rubbing into the loom,as I can see an indent on the loom where the clutch cable crosses,also smaller wires are beginning to show through at the same spot. Booked into dealer in April!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    Booked in tomorrow for the recall, then I will see if fitting handlebar risers was a bad move.!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Thanks. Mine is booked to fix this Saturday. Once fixed, I will post a picture so others can see what the fix looks like.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    Had my recall done today at Lings Triumph at Watton Nfk, with no problems, the issue of bar raisers was never mentioned.
    While I was there, I asked the receptionist if there had ever been a recall for the throttle response on Street Twins, he, didn't think so and asked me why I was asking, I told him that the response on reapplying the gas after the overrun was sometimes jerky bordering on a misfire at times, and I assumed that it was weak mixture for emissions purposes,.
    On collecting the bike up on completion he said that they had replaced the plug caps with later ones as the early ones were prone to breaking down causing the symptoms I was describing, and on the ride home, the response to the throttle was much improved, so early ST owners, check your plug caps.!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Hugh had his cable fix this morning at Pure Triumph Woburn. So I got to meet Rich Bryce as well, who made me a cuppa, which was nice of him.

The existing cable guide was simply replaced with a revised one and I was on my way as soon as I'd finished my tea. It may be psychological but I'm sure the clutch felt smoother on the way home...

Still not had any official notification of the recall.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    We’ve both had the Rich cuppa experience, I enjoyed mine too, had coffee.:p

14. Antony M

Antony M Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Mountsorrel
    IMG_20170828_094910.jpg Hi All
    Took my ST into Pidcocks, Long Eaton who kindly fitted the modified headstock cable tidy. It was sorted in a matter of minutes but whle I was there, I was offered a test ride on the 2019 ST. It was ok but I didn't think it was worth the quoted £3000 to change. In fact, I like my 2017 bonnie just fine and just love the crystal white colour which is unavailable for 2019.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    If it fits you don’t change it, I think sometimes we just change for the sake of boredom but the new one’s only a new one for a few hours

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I have the white Street Twin as well Antony and feel much the same as you.

17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    This ones about bikes Figwold

18. Antony M

Antony M Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Mountsorrel
    Good for you Notso, I wonder how many crystal white ST's were made ? There seems to be loads of red ones around. I must say though, I'm not keen on the "khaki green" colour chosen for the 2019 model, it doesn't suit it at all IMHO.

19. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Just got my notice in the post today for the recall on my ‘18 Street Cup

20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Bike does look well...