Street Twin Decat/x-pipe

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by ian650, Apr 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ian650

ian650 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Telford
    Im certain this topic must have been discussed previously but here are my experiences. I would love to hear anyone elses....
    Firstly I recently purchased a Weslake Xpipe from a well known and respected Triumph dealership (no names to protect the innocent). I also purchased the 4 graphite seals "just in case"
    Item taken home and duly fitted in approx 2 hours. First problem I noticed was the diameter of the xpipe on both sides was larger than the link pipe diameter from the silencer. Also it is a parallel diameter pipe rather than a flanged type on the original Cat. Firm but controlled tightening solved the problem but deffo not happy already. After fitting and tightening up i didnt refit the guard as I wanted to test the sound and performance. Engine started after taking all H&S checks (;)). Noise was as expected ( a more throaty /raspy sound) Performance seemed up as well (No test equipment was available just my experience). Tried to refit guard covers.....oh no neither side lined up and looked quite unprofessional but hey ho what could I do?
    Well I returnd to said dealership and explained the situation and showed the state of how it actually fitted. I was then told that their Technicians (fitters) always have a problem fitting them!. 2 more were acquired form stock and inspected and it was pretty obvious that the "U" shaped pieces of tube that make up the "X" were either not assembled or weolded correctly resulting in an out of alignment situation. (Money duly refunded but inherent problem not solved but not my concern now.
    Secondly I decided to purchase Tec Bike Parts X-pipe. Very fast next day delivery as promised. This item has an extra bracket to allow all original fitting backets to be used (as against the Weslake using only 2 mountings)
    Thiss was fitted more quickly probably as I had only just done one!. Again after all H&S checks I started the engine, this time tho the engine didnt run as smoothly as the Weslake item. Also I had to bend the guard brackets to fit the front cover.
    Tec contacted and apologies sentfrom them/item returned by me/all monies refunded.
    Just wanted to know...Am I expecting too much to buy something that actually fits and works as expected or is this the norm now for non OEM parts. :mad:
    Thoughts feelings experinces gratefully welcomed
    Ian

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Hi Ian. Interesting to read about your experience. I’ve bought a Motone x pipe for my T120. I haven’t got round to fitting it yet so your post is useful as a heads up. Cheers. Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Wow that’s poor on two have you spoken to anyone who’s had success? To get the same they’ve fitted

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    This thread is probably well past it's sell-by date but just in case anyone's still interested I chose the Motone X-pipe for my ST. The Westlake has had less than complimentary reviews. TEC stuff is usually very good, with excellent service. The Motone costs a little more but has the edge in terms of quality. I've spoken to Sam at Motone and he tells me they don't rush out new products as soon as a new model appears, as some manufacturers do. They do their R&D and make sure the product works as it should.
    My X-pipe was fitted by my Triumph dealer. Apparently everything went smoothly. Initially there seemed to be some backfiring but after a few miles that calmed down (still there a bit on the overrun). Engine response is sharper and acceleration a bit more brisk. The sound is fab! I'd recommend the Motone X-pipe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. ian650

ian650 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Telford
    Thanks for that beerkat. It's reassuring to know that people still do have good experiences. I think there is too much of the "CBA" attitude around tbqh.

6. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Here's my Speed Twin with Meerkat crossover installed. Relatively easy install although there is a lot of stuff to loosen and tighten back up again. :)

Peter Harrington at Meerkat does quality work. It fits perfectly, and it's a shame to hide that polished stainless under the motorbike. Ah well, I know it's there.

The bike's sound is great, and engine feels freer and more revvy. If you are considering a crossover pipe I'd highly recommend Meerkat.

Aside: I do not know Peter; I live on a different continent and have only communicated with him via email, so I have no vested interest.

Meekat One.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Ended up having a chat with a fella after stopping to see if he needed any help, his Lamborghini kit car had a collapsed suspension.

Noticed quite alot of heat and fan come on. Does the decat allow the engine to run significantly cooler?