Street Twin Chain Is Really Close To Tire

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tiffany Taylor, Dec 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tiffany Taylor

Tiffany Taylor New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    los angeles, ca
    The service advisor pointed it out at my last service. She didn't indicate that it was a "problem" but said I needed to watch it in case the chain loosens a bit. I've tried Googling it and haven't found anything, so now I'm asking the crew! Is this normal? No adjustments have been made to the bike and it is all stock. It has about 1/4 inch between chain and tire...about 6mm for my UK friends. Thank you all

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!
    Subscriber

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    6mm doesn’t sound right! Have you got oversized tyres perhaps?

I can’t check mine until late December (Covid permitting) but here’s the closest photo I have of the chain/tyre.

9DF001BD-316B-49D4-ADE3-2D8B096A830E.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tiffany Taylor

Jan 27, 2020
    los angeles, ca
    I had a new tire put on about 6 months ago because the stock tire (original from purchase) had worn down. The shop ordered the tire, so I would assume it would be properly sized for my bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!
    Subscriber

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    I guess the only other thing to check is the wheel alignment. Hopefully someone else here with a Street Twin or Cup will be able to check their distances.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tiffany Taylor
    Yes check the wheel alignment. And do check they put the spacers back on the right side. What tyre are you running now as tyres do differ sometimes. Do check your manual for tire size and check it against the tire fitted. Don't just take the fitters suggestion as they are just making money from you.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tiffany Taylor

Jan 27, 2020
    los angeles, ca
    so they tire is Continental TKC70 Dual Sport Rear Motorcycle Tire 150/70R-17 (69V) and I just took a couple pics

tire.jpg

tire 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tiffany Taylor

Jan 27, 2020
    los angeles, ca
    I was also thinking the dealership that changed the tire doesn't have the best track record with me and it wouldn't surprise me if they forgot to put the spacers back on. But I also just had it serviced at my reliable shop (drove 50 miles one way to get there, but so worth it with the incompetence I've witnessed at my local shop), and they checked the alignment. I recently bought the TPMS for my bike, so I might just change the rear tire to my favorite Scorpion Trail II while having that installed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    #8 joe mc donald, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Tiffany Taylor.
    Not sure about that space. I have got a 170 profile on my Bonnie and the space is about the same if not slightly more and i don't understand why the guard doesn't cover the chain. Have you checked the wheel alignment. If you have a centre stand get up and check it properly and let us know how you get on. If you are going to a Triumph Dealer get them to pull up the rear wheel schematic and see if something is missing there.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I wonder if the wrong spacer has been put in behind the sprocket and hence the chain is running closer to the tyre? As you’ve ridden the bike it would seem that the brake disc lines up correctly and the wheel rotates fine so I’d guess that all the spacers are in there, just maybe the one behind the sprocket is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Could the sprocket have been taken off and put back on the wrong way ?
    Odd but you never know, it's the kind of thing that I'd do. :eek::D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Bet you sometimes put your pants on backwards too :D
    Edit, pants =undies this side of the pond;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Yeah, usually when I've got my cape on. :cool::cool::D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tiffany Taylor

Jan 27, 2020
    los angeles, ca
    I would hope not...the tire was installed at a licensed shop, so you would hope that they would not make that kind of error. It's also been serviced (at a different shop by a mechanic that I trust) and they did not find anything off. I don't know if he removed the wheel though. I'm having the place I trust install the TPMS and contemplating replacing the new continental with a scorpion trail 2 at the same time...we should be able to find any mistakes in previous installations at that time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tiffany Taylor

Jan 27, 2020
    los angeles, ca
    I'll have the trusted mechanic check that too when I have him install my TPMS

• Like Like x 2
  15. JULIAN WW

JULIAN WW Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    For what it’s worth the clearance on my Thruxton R is only about 5mm with Bridgestone Btx fitted (2nd replacement rear tyre). Never seen any signs of chain to tyre contact. I suspect tyre variation is the reason for any reduction in the clearance.

16. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Photo attached of the chain run on my 2019 Street Twin yes the chain does run close to the tyre, there isn't any spacer between the sprocket and wheel, that is taken up with the cush drive. The spacer is between the sprocket and swinging arm so would not have any effect on the tyre/chain distance.
    I suspect that the only reason is the tyre itself and the nature of the tread 2021-12-20 16.01.08.jpg 2021-12-20 16.01.08.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Have you actually had the rear wheel out in order to make this statement?
    There is definitely a spacer behind the sprocket, I’ve repaired a puncture on a friend’s T120, same set up as the street twin, and there is a spacer in there, otherwise the bearing in the sprocket carrier would collapse when the axle bolt is tightened up.

18. Mike5100

Mike5100 New Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Durham
    I noticed exactly the same on my Thruxton R which is fitted with the original Rosso Diablo tyres and its VERY close to the chain. I have had the alignment checked (for other reasons), and it was out, but realigning it hasn't provided any more space. I guess that's just how it is, but it does look awfully close
    Mike

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Tiffany, I have only just seen your post, firstly the Continental TKC70 Dual Sport Tyre you have on your machine has a slightly wider edge profile (in effect making it closer to the chain run), I very much doubt it is anything to do with the spacer, the reason I say this is for example if say the spacer was missing, or incorrectly fitted then what takes place is the swing arm would catch on the hub when the axle nut was torqued up, and the rear wheel would be extremely difficult to rotate, if you look at the profile of your original tyre and compare it to the TKC70 you will see the difference, if your chain became very slack then yes it could well come into contact with the tyre sidewall, a slack chain actually moves "sideways" under load, it may sound obvious but incorrectly re adjusting the chain after the wheel was re installed with the new tyre, would effectively draw the tyre closer to the chain, I have seen tyre fitters who have adjusted rear wheels and have been as much as 15mm out, often some are that busy(or careless) they seem to look at the swing arm markings and think "ah that's near enough it twill do". Keep the forum posted on how things progress.