Street Twin "bits" For Sale

Discussion in 'Parts, Accessories & Clothing' started by ian650, Jan 24, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    My spoked wheels are from the T100, which also has a single front disc. The T120 has a double disc set up so isn't a straightforward swop.
    When I bought the bike new, back in 2017, from Bill Smith in Chester, the deal included the fitting of spoked wheels. I also got the original cast wheels, which I then sold for £350 or £400 (can't remember). This was just before Triumph released their accessory list, which contained spoked wheels at around £600.

If you go for spoked wheels I'm sure you are aware that the tyres are tubed (cast wheels = tubeless tyres). Some people see that as a good enough reason to stick with cast wheels but in nearly 6 years I've never had a problem. There's also the question of weight because spoked wheels are heavier, which is another reason some people prefer cast wheels. The Street Twin is a heavy bike (at least compared to my 2 Honda sports bikes) so a few more kilos isn't really noticeable and I've more than compensated by removing the catalytic converter and several other weighty parts.

I did the switch purely for aesthetic reasons because a Bonneville, any Bonneville, only looks right with spoked wheels.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #22 Eldon, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Cheers @beerkat

I'm thinking spoked wheels look better on an ST and considering anodised aluminium rims so that answers the "which hubs do I need" question.
    Older trials bike had spoked wheels with a tubeless rear tyre. The spokes were sealed with a special rim tape, absolute bitch to fit and a royal pain in the arse.
    My current trials bkes run tubeless rear on spoked wheels but use a tee section profile rim.

• Like Like x 1
  3. barneymusician

Jun 11, 2020
    Chiswick, London, UK
    Thanks for this, it confirms what I thought on the spoked wheels option. I'll keep looking to see if anyone ever makes (invents?!) spoked tubeless that at least as light as cast and not prohibitively pricey but yet to find...(if you see this reply I'd hugely appreciate knowing - if you know - the extra weight of the spoked from the T100? Also interested to know if you or anyone else who reading this and done the same noticed any difference in handling - appreciating you may only have ridden with the spoked)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    See my post directly above..... @barneymusician

Spoked tubeless already exists without holes in the typical rim tape area.

5. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    In your search for tubeless spoked wheels I'm sure you will have come across a couple of possibilities. I can't remember the names of the manufacturers but their wheels are extremely expensive and, in my opinion, the Street Twin isn't worth it.
    I can't answer your question about the weight difference between the cast and spoked wheels but I seem to recall it being not a lot, which probably doesn't help you. And as I didn't use the bike with the original cast wheels I can't give you a direct comparison. However my ST handles just fine. I think it's a heavy bike but once it's rolling the weight disappears (not literally of course). I quickly binned the original tyres and shocks (described elsewhere), which had a big effect on handling and something I would recommend.
    I have no regrets doing the wheel swop (and will people please stop saying 'swop out' :rolleyes:, the extra word is not needed). It was purely for aesthetic reasons and cast wheels are just wrong on a Bonneville :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. barneymusician

Jun 11, 2020
    Chiswick, London, UK
    @Eldon I can only see your post that mentions "special rim tape, absolute bitch to fit and a royal pain in the arse" which a kit I'm well aware of already and that adaption not what I'm looking for (partly for the reasons you mention). Kineo do an interesting option but prohibitively expensive but if my lottery numbers came in... https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Kineo-Wire-Spoked-Wheels-Triumph-Street-Twin-900-2019-onwards.html (I'm also yet to find out their weight which as mentioned above a guiding criteria for me).

7. barneymusician

Jun 11, 2020
    Chiswick, London, UK
    Haha! Thanks for this and 100% agreed on all (including the unnecessary addition of "out" in front of "swap"!!). We crossed posts simultaneously as I mention one of those "extremely expensive" suppliers in my second post here. Of course you get what you pay for (or are prepared to pay for!). Many many thanks for the useful info on handling too. I'm on Pirelli Scorpion 2s which great and with TEC rear and progressive front shocks bought and to both fit soon. (all my mod plans in my biog I think).

8. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    If we were discussing a proper sports bike I could understand why the weight difference in the wheels was important but we're not. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would notice any significant difference. Tyres and suspension make a much greater contribution on these bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I'm wondering if your bike is a 1st or 2nd generation ST. If it's the first, another swop I can highly recommend is the TEC Parts camshaft. And bin the cat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. barneymusician

Jun 11, 2020
    Chiswick, London, UK
    Oh that very much on my list! Been out of stock for my late 2018 for a good long while unfortunately but as soon as it's back in snapping it up ;-)

11. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    And the Motone X-pipe is better than the one from TEC.
    Good luck with your ST mods.

• Like Like x 1