Street Twin 2020 Model Question

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Νάσος Απολλωνάτος, Dec 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. I'm considering buying the street twin, but a friend of mine told that there's an engine heat issue. Especially in a warm country like Greece the heat can be unbearable. Do you have some feedback on this?

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hopefully you’ll get some answers from people in hotter climates :sun::)
    I can’t help :(
    It’s FREEZING here :cold_sweat:

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Never heard of a heat issue. I have a street twin and have not had an issue either but I've only been riding it in cold temperatures so far.
    Don't go for a scrambler though, that high exhaust will heat your leg!
    Welcome to the forum by the way!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I think it's more likely that the scrambler has the heat issue as the pipes are higher and the rider gets a bit warm?
    Or, do you mean that the engine struggles with the heat?
    Nice bike either way though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks for the welcome and the info and no the scrambler is not one of the models I'm considering.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    beat me to it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. No I mean the street twin... maybe my friend got the models mixed, but he told his touched the engine a bit and almost got burned, he didn't say anything about the exhaust.

8. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Hi,
    I have a Street Twin and ride in all UK seasons and I do not find any issues with heat from the engine.
    It is a water cooled engine made to look like an air cooled engine so will generate heat (as with any internal combustion engine). A friend of mine chose to touch the engine fins after a 20mile ride and commented 'Fcuk that's hot' and quickly removed his hand. I called him a silly bugger and he has never done it since.
    Alfie

• Like Like x 2
  9. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I have a 2018 Street Twin. No cooling issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    I own a 2019 street twin. No heat issue. No other issues either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I saw a review that said that depending on your height your legs could touch the part of the engine near the exhaust and that could burn a bit. Maybe that’s what my friend was referring too and not some heat engine problems.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Avinarant

Avinarant Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Leeds
    This bloke's reviews mention the engine heat a fair bit, mainly if you're long in the leg!!!

13. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    As has already been said I have heard of the scrambler getting toasty in warm weather. Which is true of other scramblers as well. But not the street twin. I live in Florida and have ride in temps above 90F with no problem. Another point. I can't see how height can make any difference. Take one for a test ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Avinarant

Avinarant Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Leeds
    it's this fella who has mentioned engine heat, it's the length of his legs!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes that’s the review I mentioned.

16. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    Ok I finally got through Spicy's video
    And he did mention the heat. If you ride a bike with your knees touching the heads or any other engine part at speed it's going to burn. I would think a rider of any height would ride with his knees in contact with the tank. That's the way I was taught and that's how I ride.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I see what you mean and since this is not a regular naked bike maybe that’s the reason behind it.

18. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Although the triumph twins are liquid cooled now, there is still an element of air cooling going on with those fins and the small radiator.
    I've had two 1200's and one 900 and haven't noticed any excess heat from the engine. I don't have long legs either.
    I'd say best thing to do is get a good test ride and see for yourself if its going to cause you a problem ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The Street Scrambler is supposed to be the model with rider/heat issues but I have one and long legs and don't find the heat a problem even in Summer.

• Like Like x 2
  20. FAT999

FAT999 Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Australia
    I have the Street Twin and live in NSW, Australia. Yes, I’ve noticed the heat but it seems to come from the catalyser and exhaust, not the motor itself.

it’s most noticeable in traffic queues, not really riding on the open road. I’ve ridden in 30+ degree heat on it. No issues with actually touching the motor with my legs at all (I’m 177cm tall).

I worry about it but that maybe because I worry about everything!! Wondered if a de-cat would cool it down at all.

Motor has never obviously overheated and seems to run ok.

Cheers,
    Kevin in Aus

• Like Like x 1