765 Street Triple Rs Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Luke Stapley, Jul 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luke Stapley

Luke Stapley New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    UK
    Has anyone had a problem with oil leaking out of the oil filler cap on a new 765?

Mine has leaked from day 1. At the first service the dealer said they had fixed it by tightening up the filler cap, but it didn't work.

IMG_20170718_153145.jpg

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Luke, if it was my bike I would be looking at how the filler cap is supposed to seal - probably an O-ring - and examining and/or replacing the seal.

The other thought that has just come to mind - are you sure it's leaking and not just some spilt oil after an oil change that is showing up in the hot weather?

You could use some aerosol brake and clutch cleaner on kitchen towel to clean off the oil, to see if it comes back?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Luke Stapley

Luke Stapley New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    UK
    I have cleaned the oil off once and the dealer cleaned it during the first service, it's definitely coming out of the filter cap. I just looked and the o ring is present and looks OK

4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Oil should not be leaking from the cap so either the cap seal or the casing is damaged, take it back for a better inspection :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Maybe its just the angle of the photo but is the cap sitting flat to the engine casing?
    Will have only taken the cap to have been screwed in slightly cross threaded once and the alloy threads of the casing will alter the plastic threads of the cap.
    Either way the simple way is to replace the plastic cap and O ring. While its out inspect the sealing face inside the metal threads to see if metal swarf or debris is fouling. Either way the dealer should sort it all under warranty

Sorry should have looked at the posting date ....probably all sorted now

6. Luke Stapley

Luke Stapley New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    UK
    It's sorted now. The problem was a small nick in the o ring. I've done 2000 miles without any more leaks.

• Like Like x 1